Queues during weekday

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
robrymond

After visting yesterday, expecting a quiet day, i was very much mistaken. It was in my eyes busy, busier than a summer day ive been on and far busier than my previous september trip just after the school went back.

What i fail to understand is why there were so many school parties and familys in the park, on a weekday, just two weeks into school. They have every right to attend the park, but frankly screaming girls and chavs i did not expect, nor queues in excess of an hour for the major rides.

So i ask, when the hell is quiet anymore?!
Rob Rymond - www.robrymond.com
Joelio

[quote=""damos1""][quote=""robrymond""]After visting yesterday, expecting a quiet day, i was very much mistaken. It was in my eyes busy, busier than a summer day ive been on and far busier than my previous september trip just after the school went back.

What i fail to understand is why there were so many school parties and familys in the park, on a weekday, just two weeks into school. They have every right to attend the park, but frankly screaming girls and chavs i did not expect, nor queues in excess of an hour for the major rides.

So i ask, when the hell is quiet anymore?![/quote]

That would be weekends and bank holidays :yes:[/quote]

Lol :P

Its quiet in June when everyone (who goes to education) should be revising for exams :P
robrymond

September used to be quiet, three years ago rides were all walk on bar rita. Is any weekday in october quiet ?

I just found it bizzare to see so many school groups, there were loads of coaches in the car park!
Crofty

I think it may be field trips for projects which just turns out to be a day out. :P although quite how they manage to organise that for so soon into the term I don't know.
The park should get a lot quieter when all the University's go back. :D
Merlin

I went this Tuesday and it was extreemely busy, however most of the less popular rides were walk on's. The staff said it has taken them by surprise.

I think IMOP that the new ride Th13teen has brought a lot of extra people in this year, and anyone who usually visit once in a blue moon, delayed thier visit last year for this year for the new ride, hence last year being a little quieter than usual.

I daren't to think what the fireworks weekend will be like? 8-[
Jem8472

[quote=""robrymond""]After visting yesterday, expecting a quiet day, i was very much mistaken. It was in my eyes busy, busier than a summer day ive been on and far busier than my previous september trip just after the school went back.

So i ask, when the hell is quiet anymore?![/quote]

I agree 100% we went wed 15th and it was far too busy for that time of year. Groups of 10-15 year old kids running about!
We counted 16 coaches in the car park. Are 6 weeks holidays not enough for kids now? That they now need visits to theme parks after going back for 2 weeks.

I did expect it to be a bit busier due to a new ride and unis have not gone back. But it was still far far too busy.

Last two times I have been to Alton Towers now it has been a lot busier than expected. So 2 visits and disappointed twice. Not good. :|
robrymond

I don't mind visiting alongside Uni students, as I did that last time I visited and the atmosphere was good. But there were far too many rude school children and girls screaming which completely put me off.

The small rides were all pretty much 5 minutes or less queues, but the large rides were just daft for this time of year.

At least we rode Thirteen which had a small queue at the end of the day. Even after closing, Air was still 80 minutes queue time!
Dean

It's busy because of the visit in June come back in September free offer, works quite well...
Kendalgal

We have been on park Weds, Thurs and Fri this week and all 3 days were very busy! School trips were a joke and i even had a near fight with a few of the kids from one as they pushed (!) my 2 year old over on purpose on her face whilst proceeding to scream "F*** off" to me and my daughter. NOT happy at all.

We go every Sept for 3 days and this was by far the busiest time we have been which has put us off :| Queue times on most days were in excess of an hour for each ride at least.

Coming home today, the queue into the car park was at least 40 mins and the queue for the monorail was way into the car park and round the golfing area with most walking. Queue into the park was ridiculous too so weekends are not quiet at all.
Mum to Hollie (9) & Madison (5)
Gloomy Dude

We noticed this too. Much, MUCH busier than it usually is on September week days :( There's that particular avenue of pleasure closed to me. Nemesis and Air queued out the entrance? Oblivion anything other than walk on? Midweek in September? I was astounded, and we had to change the expectations of our trip pretty sharpish. *sigh*
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
robrymond

I guess the free return in September would explain the reason for it being busy. I hope they don't bother next year then with that.

I didn't go on any of the large rides bar Thirteen as I wanted a chilled day walking onto the rides and pottering around, instead of rushing for queues and waiting around all day. Sadly the expectations had to change, but perhaps another time in the week it'll be quieter!
Big Dave

I think it might be a ploy to get a steady flow of people all year round. I know they are planning to get the guests numbers to be more spread out, but the fact you have to go once to get the ticket doesnt really spread them out. It just means they visit twice.

I think the park should do away with them or at least limit them. Yes they want the customers so they can milk more money off them, but I also think the park needs a quiet time in order to get the rides ready for scarefest. If the park is quiet, they can take trains off the system while they do repairs and checks to prevent any major problems during scarefest.
NF2

From last years experience weekdays during Scarefest (term time) are a fantastic time to go. Walk on for most rides all day, went on TOTT and physically had to wait for more people to show up (we got through as a four!) Air was from the bridge into station 2, and Rita was from the bottom of the stairs, this was during the day too. By the time night came around, We got on Obivion 4 times in about 10 minutes, and both Nemesis and Air had completely empty ride area's, it was literally like having the place for yourself!

Seriously one of my best experiences of Alton Towers, with Wraiths roaming around, people in costume and a perfet balance of people and atmosphere, only one thing stopped it being a perfect trip... the Twilight Music XD
ponder

Strange. I was there yesterday (friday) and didn't think queues were that bad at all, other than Air, which was only running 2 trains and was experiencing regular problems.

We managed Nemesis twice, the maximum queue time being 15 minutes, Thirteen was advertised as an hour, but was only about 40 minutes during the middle of the day, and was practically a walk-on after 4pm - where we rode on a further 2 occasions. Oblivion was about 10 minutes, Hex was a walk-on, as were Rapids and RMT. Baring in mind that Rita was down all day, I couldn't complain about the queues at all really, apart from Air as previously mentioned.

We got there just after 10, left at 5 and managed:

Thirteen x 3
Nemesis x 2
Oblivion
Air
Hex
Runaway Mine Train
Rapids
Duel
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory

and we were hardly haring around... we took it quite slowly as we were going to be back in the park again today.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
daveslodge

[quote=""NF2""]From last years experience weekdays during Scarefest (term time) are a fantastic time to go. Walk on for most rides all day, went on TOTT and physically had to wait for more people to show up (we got through as a four!) Air was from the bridge into station 2, and Rita was from the bottom of the stairs, this was during the day too. By the time night came around, We got on Obivion 4 times in about 10 minutes, and both Nemesis and Air had completely empty ride area's, it was literally like having the place for yourself!

Seriously one of my best experiences of Alton Towers, with Wraiths roaming around, people in costume and a perfet balance of people and atmosphere, only one thing stopped it being a perfect trip... the Twilight Music XD
[/quote]

The best visit to Towers ever was midweek scarefest last year!

We were in AT Hotel for 2 days and I don't think we queued for anything once! The atmosphere was something else too!
piefunkle

Oh dear, I'm worred now, due to go on the 27th and 28th of September! Always been so quiet but now I'm beginning to think otherwise...
bobblebob

Im off on the 23/24th Sept. I think around the 20th the Uni students go back so that should help the que times. And hopefully all the school kids have been there and done that by next week
paki4lyf_786

I'm going on the 24th too. My first time at Alton towers but hoping to get on nemmy, blivvy, rita, air, ripsaw, enterprise.
Do you think there will be enough time?
Hoping for short queues...
TibBo

[quote=""daveslodge""]
The best visit to Towers ever was midweek scarefest last year!

We were in AT Hotel for 2 days and I don't think we queued for anything once! The atmosphere was something else too![/quote]

Definately! :)
We always do our best to try and avoid going the Scarefest week in Half-term as this is far busier!
daveslodge

Is half term the 1st or 2nd week of scarefest this year?