Early Days

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MissMoz

I have amazing memories of Alton Towers when I was little which is definitely a different time period to others on the board. I'd like to know whether you think the Towers were more magical when you were young. Definietly for me because we live in Uttoxeter and so we are very close to Alton. We went there quite a lot when the prices were OK. We don't go much anymore but hopefully I am getting a season ticket for my birthday. Anyway, back to the point.

I learned to walk at Alton Towers (chasing a squirrel at the sloping lanes in front of the towers), my first word was a confused form of Towers and my first proper coaster ride was Corkscrew. Back then, it was a very magical place for things like that to happen. It is, I believe, still very magical but it has lost a bit of that touch. I wish they would bring the Towers Street music back as well. You know, the one that had bits of everything in it that played on the monorail.

Sorry, I keep on going off the topic. But what I ultimately wanted to ask was for those of you who have practically grown up at the Towers, what was it like as a child?
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Everyday Is Silent Without Corky

FOR SOME THINGS THERE IS NO RATIONAL EXPLANATION.
Anonymous

black hole always brings back memories of a good old fashioned ride
furie

Think how I feel?!

We used to go on a coach tour to the Towers every year from when I was born. We'd do one trip to Alton Towers, one Blackpool and if we were lucky, my Grandad might take us to Southport or Belle Vue.

Not heard of Belle Vue? It shut down when I five in 1979...

My most endearing memories of early Alton were of the miniature railway, the tea room (now Hex's queue) and the paddling pool and boating lake. We used to moan like mad when it was "Alton trip time". It was definitely one of those "parent's making their kids accept olde culture" things.

Imagine their shock when we arrived Easter 1980? :lol: They had no idea what had happened and suddenly there was the Corkscrew, Dinosaur land, Cine 2000, Pirate ship and the toboggan ride (I think they all opened in 1980, I only remember riding Corkscrew that year to be honest).

I've seen "the magic" of Alton Towers every year in the last 30 years since its inception as a theme park. For the first few years, we still even went paddling and looked at the model railway.

What can I say? It was always magic, until I grew up. Then, like Christmas and birthdays, they get less and less magical each year. Life becomes more materialistic, and that's sadly just part of growing up.

I've brought up two kids with Alton Towers though, and Minor_Furie thought the place was incredible when he first went age 6 (2002) and loved it until he hit 12 or 13. He still enjoys visiting, but it's not an exciting day out anymore.

Maxi-Minor_furie is 5 now, and he thinks the place is wonderful. He loves all the bits of magic. The pirate show, CCL theatre and Charlie. He likes growing up and being able to get on fantastic rides he couldn't fit on last year (this year's special is Twirling Toadstool). I've taken friends with both children at varying ages who have never been to Alton before. Likewise, they also love the park (including this season). You forget how special Squirrel Nutty is when you don't have the eyes of a child anymore.

Alton Towers certainly has changed, there's no denying it. It's always been evolving, and as an adult (and somebody who visits regularly and have grown up with the park) - you spot the changes, and don't always agree with them.

If things didn't change though, that lovely picnic grass area by Thunder Looper would still be a nice picnic area, and not Nemesis. We used to park by the old Flag Tower and come in through what is now Cloud Cuckoo Land (I think, things are hazy, but I'm sure "coaster corner" used to be a coach park). Towers Street never existed as an entrance. No monorail over the park. All changes made over the years... I miss the model railway and Doom and Sons. They were both very special attractions to me as a youngster and fondly loved. Are Hex and Duel (or Haunted House as was) a better replacement? They are, but I can still miss the old attractions with the dewy eyed mist of youthful memory.

Today though, each new generation who comes to the towers finds their own bit of magic there. The only way to see it, is to be with somebody who hasn't before, and to let them lead and find their own experience of the park. For the rest of us, it's pretty much business as usual. Another silly publicity stunt? Another ride unpainted? Haunted Hollow left vandalised, etc, etc, etc... Old eyes see too much ;)
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Mankey

I miss lots of things really... But like Furie said, its like christmas now, no longer exciting!

I love to go, and I get my excitement out of A. How long I go for, or B. Who I'm with. I always find I have a much more exciting time if I'm staying at the resort with my closest friends! (TTF Meets)

I'm terrified though, that the same thing will happen to me when I've gone to Europa Park enough times, because that park has replaced the atmosphere that this park has lost for me! :( Having said that though, AT would win back a lot of atmosphere if they built a good dark coaster. Because that's what I look for!
Back from hibernation!
BigAl

I loved Alton Towers as a child and I still do. Most of my favourite rides have gone. I sit watching old videos of the park from the 90's wishing it would all return. I think that nowadays the park has become too greedy and lost some of its charm. What's gone is gone and no matter how much I'd wish for one last ride on the Swans, Toyland Tours, the Teacups, the Vintage Cars and the Haunted House, I know I'll never get to. I'd really like the old Towers Street theme and the original 'ITHOTMK' (or the original Alton Towers theme to some) to make a return but that seems unlikely as well. Growing up sucks!
JoshM

Some of the magic may come back if they banned Chavs. :twisted:

They should try to bring back some of the things that made Alton Towers magical, like the original towers street music.
MissMoz

I still believe the Towers are magical just not AS magical. I forgot to mention about In The Hall Of The Mountain King. I would love that to be brought back although they do use it a little bit on the adverts.

Thanks for responding, everyone!
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Everyday Is Silent Without Corky

FOR SOME THINGS THERE IS NO RATIONAL EXPLANATION.