Are you allowed to wear goggles on the rides?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
BigAl

A couple of days ago, me and my friends went to Alton Towers and had an ace time. We managed to get on every ride and went on Oblivion and Th13teen twice, as well as three times on Nemesis. I can't believe the luck we had as the park was almost empty for half of the day with queues rarely passing 30 minutes for any of the rides. Each time we went on a ride, we thought of cool and funny posses for the photos. It got me wondering, are you allowed to wear goggles on the rides? I'm talking about ones with an elastic back to stop them falling off. It's a daft idea but I figured after we managed to fill out a row on Oblivion that it might be a fun idea and a nice photo for us to have to remember our day. We won't be going again for another few weeks but I wanted to know now so that people have enough time to buy a pare.
Here is an example:
http://www.deviantart.com/download/1408 ... orMann.jpg

Or perhaps just ordinary swimming goggles? I've seen it in other countries and on some rides it's encouraged (the coaster at Ferrari World where you need them because of the speed and sand). Please don't have a go at me just because this is a silly idea, I just wanted to have a photo which would make me laugh every time I looked at it. When I went the other day, I didn't have chance to get any photos as my friends were running off everywhere. It was one of the best times I've ever had so I'd like something for the next time we go (if my friends want to go again). Anybody know if wearing goggles on coasters at Alton Towers is allowed?
Elliot

Simple answer, yes. You're allowed to wear glasses, so why not goggles? They're probably safer as they won't be falling off.
BigAl

YOU JUST MADE MY DAY! :D
Thank you very much, I can't wait to see if we can actually get enough people to join in. If I do, I'll post my ride photo on here. DAMN THIS'LL BE EPIC!
It makes sense if you can go on with glasses. I've never seen anyone with glasses on a ride. The goggles I'm after are £20 but if I don't get them then some swimming ones will do.

Thanks again!
tamtam86

This topic reminds me of when I went to Florida last. We all road Kraken with tights and goggles over our face. Was quite amusing. On Tower of Terror we all prayed and the picture was fantastic. You just have to try not to laugh which is incredibly hard!
BigAl

I'm not bothered about everyone laughing as even I won't be able to keep a straight face :lol:
The real problem is convincing my friends to get goggles and bring them to Alton Towers. I've been to Alton Towers hundreds of times but when I went last Tuesday, I had the best time of my life. Never had so much fun in just one day. I was delighted when I saw the queue times for Nemesis, Air, Rita, Oblivion and Th13teen were 0 minutes :shock: :D The longest queue was for the Rapids which was about 25-30 minutes but we still had a great time.
wah

I was at the towers about a month ago and some guy had a gas mask on whilst riding Obilivion !
BigAl

So far, the people that I've told have all said they'd go for it if enough people get involved. One person doesn't think it would be funny but I bet on the day they'll think again.
DiogoJ42

Steampunk FT W! :P
But something tells me there'd be at least one jobsworth who makes you take them off. :roll:
BigAl

That's why I'm a bit worried. I don't want to spend my money on goggles for someone to tell me to take them off. We could just hide them in our pockets until we're at the top of the lift hill. They wouldn't fall off and if they let people on with glasses and masks then I can't see why goggles aren't allowed.
Islander

I seriously don't see why they'd be disallowed, but if some nutcase member of staff decides otherwise...

[quote=""BigAl""]We could just hide them in our pockets until we're at the top of the lift hill.[/quote]
...that wouldn't work, as they'll often stop the ride to confiscate things from the lift hill. Which then results in long delays.

Just be open about it - chances are the staff will find it as hilarious an idea as you :P
BigAl

[quote=""Islander""]I seriously don't see why they'd be disallowed, but if some nutcase member of staff decides otherwise...

[quote=""BigAl""]We could just hide them in our pockets until we're at the top of the lift hill.[/quote]
...that wouldn't work, as they'll often stop the ride to confiscate things from the lift hill. Which then results in long delays.

Just be open about it - chances are the staff will find it as hilarious an idea as you :P[/quote]
If you say so.
Luce

I've worn sunglasses with a strap before so I reckon goggles would be ok :)
BigAl

I might get steampunk goggles even if my friends don't and opt for swimming goggles instead. Either way, it'll be funny! So far there's me and two others that can go for sure and I bet we can convince another five so that's at least one row on Oblivion taken up. That's enough for a good photo. Swimming goggles may be good if we all go on the flume and get two photos from that. Decisions, decisions :D
NickT04

The new Ferrari rollercoaster in Abu Dhabi actually requires you to wear goggles as it's that fast!
Cheese

To keep my glasses on on Thirteen, Air, Spinball etc., I use a strap intended for keeping goggle/sunglasses type things on while snowboarding. I got it from a local extreme sports shop for about £5, and it's proved to be worth every penny. For the big, intense stuff, I don't run the risk, strap or no strap. I need my glasses to see anything that's not within a few metres of my face, so I'd be stuffed if I drove to the park and they got broken.
Oblivion_

Hi, I am thinking of something like this. Any suggestions?

I might go on with a Halloween mask. I dunno how it'd stay on, though. Masking tape?
Confirmed \'09:

Alton Towers, April 7th
Thorpe Park, Summer
Alton Towers, Scarefest

Unconfirmed \'09:

Wicksteed Park (D:)
Chessington, WoA
BigAl

[quote=""Oblivion_""]Hi, I am thinking of something like this. Any suggestions?

I might go on with a Halloween mask. I dunno how it'd stay on, though. Masking tape?[/quote]
A Halloween mask eh? I tried that once but was told to take mine off for safety reasons and the fact that it scared small children. The thing is I had a freaky full head latex pumpkin. A four year old waved at me whilst I was on squirrel nutty (he must of thought I was part of the scarefest). I'm going to try again this year. Just take the mask on and see what they say.

Here's my mask:

It depends what sort of mask it is. Mine doesn't have a strap so it will come off with a slight gust of wind which is why I said I'd hold it on and came with a long black cloak with a hood (the hood went over it and held it on). If your mask is one of those plastic ones with the elastic around it then I can't see why not (unless you're going on Rita).

Good luck anyway. Make sure you post your photo if you manage it. I'll post mine if everything works out. I'm getting either 7 or 15 of my friends to wear swimming goggle on Oblivion (8th or 16th being me). Should be interesting.
jason10

I really do not see why it would be a problem at all! Especially after a recent trip to Thorpe Park. In the photo viewing building of Stealth, they have an example photo. In this photo there is a person with a pair of those science safety goggles with the elastic. Basically, my point is that they are practically advertising that it is okay to wear goggles on a coaster! They shouldn't really complain in all honesty so you should not have any problems!
BigAl

Ha ha, I forgot about this video. I think waring goggles is fine because this little kid on Griffon managed to pull it off.
Take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fXL7dW__sE

Fast forward it to 1:23 when he puts them on at the top of the lift hill.