Alton Towers Marketing/PR Stunts Topic

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
John

They were around when I left the group to get a couple of rides of Spinball today. I was pleased to note I got on the ride via the SRQ as quickly as they did through the exit.
fengapapit

From The Sun website:

FEARLY beloved, we are gathered here today... Sixteen vicars look holy uncomfortable as they hurtle to the ground on a scary theme park ride called Oblivion.

The ride reverends clasped their hands in prayer at Alton Towers, Staffs, while auditioning to conduct a special "Extreme Easter" service there next Sunday.

Others plunged 100ft en masse on the SAW rollercoaster and got soaked on the Storm Surge at Surrey's Thorpe Park, which will hold a joint event.

The parks say they are tackling falling church numbers by offering a chance to worship at the popular attractions. Guess you could call it the fun of God.

Did anyone see the reverends there this weekend? Can't work out whether I think this is a good idea or not!

[url=http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... lunge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... lunge.html[/url]
djtruefitt

I saw this in todays paper, I imagine its just aload of rubbish and a free advert for not only Alton but Thorpe park as well! Strangly just as the Easter holidays are here..
Mr P

I saw a group of them getting off Air, was a bit confused as to why they were in there "work clothes", but this explains it!

:D
Tom G

The 'Coaster Cutie' campaign is the latest stomach churning sack of #### to come from the park. Just sponsor it by the Daily Sport and be done with it :lol:

[url=http://www.new-magazine.co.uk/latestnew ... my-Childs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.new-magazine.co.uk/latestnew ... my-Childs/[/url]
Adam

Wow they really are sinking low.

Turning to Lads Mag style photos to attract visitors... I smell desperation! :wink:
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
DiogoJ42

That's just low. What next? Having some guy who's job is beating people up, and is only famous for being married to a sl@g promote their new ride?

... oh, wait...
Adam James

The facebook page has released a bit more information, revealing 13 pin-ups will be used for the first ever Th13teen calender.

We’re looking for 13 girls to be the faces of the ultimate rollercoaster, TH13TEEN. That’s right... we’re looking for the ultimate Coaster Cuties!

20 girls will be selected to attend the Alton Towers Resort and as well as riding the ultimate rollercoaster, TH13TEEN, you will take part in an exclusive photoshoot! 13 lucky girls will then be crowned the Alton Towers Resort’s Coaster Cuties, and star in the first ever TH13TEEN Calendar!

Do you think you’ve got what it takes to star in the Alton Towers Resort’s new TH13TEEN calendar? Then fill in the details on the page below and submit along with a photo or YouTube video of yourself, demonstrating why you are a Coaster Cutie.

Apply here > [url=http://www.altontowers.com/events/coaster-cuties/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.altontowers.com/events/coaster-cuties/[/url]
Perhaps there will be one girl for the front cover, and the other twelve used for each month?
I can imagine many theme park fanboys will be queueing outside Towers Trading for this one.. :lol:
Last edited by Adam James on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom G

I just sniggered at that image, thinking you'd been on Photo Shop for a laugh, but then realising it was official.

This is tacky and ####e beyond belief, particularly on a ride that is supposed to have a dark and intimidating theme, but I guess they have experience in destroying such things.
Vicki

Well, that's good for their family image, isn't it?

Whatever next?
The Lonely end of the Rink- a great song, and it\'s usually the case when I go ice skating because I just can\'t keep up!
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Disgusting from a family park :x

Sometimes I miss Morwenna.
Last edited by Spike on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
.Will

Ugh! They promote a family image and yet they are trying to appeal to the lowest form of people I mean we all know the kinds of people who buy these sort of calenders and magazines. It is just disgusting.

:no:
MattH

keep in mind guys and gals, there is no mention on what they expect the winners to wear, for all we know, it could be normal attire, but either way, id buy this, not for the girls, but for the coaster, family park it may be, but they are promoting the pictures to be took on a "Thrill" ride, if it was on something like Squirrel Nutty THEN i'd outrage.

now ive vented, there are some comments based around having a guys one too, on a different ride, to even the balance, if they took that on board, that would be an excellent move.

So controversial maybe, but im not gonna comment on it much more until something is set in stone for it, as ive said, id buy it :D
Adam

My god! This gets even worse! #-o

Who is in charge of this park!?

Whoever it is that keeps making these decisions needs to leave, quick! #-o
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Nathan

From a professional point of view: Oh dear!

From a personal point of view: Hell Yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
captain

The Facebook page has, once again, gone mental. Excellent.
[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]
Adam James

[quote=""Spike""]Disgusting from a family park :x

Sometimes I miss Morwenna.[/quote]
Well to be honest, wasn't Morwenna incharge of marketing when the park pulled this stunt?

"Hot Babes Test Drive Bras On Alton Towers Extreme Coasters"

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]
Moley

[quote=""captain""]The Facebook page has, once again, gone mental. Excellent.[/quote]
To be fair, the Fantas who post on there complained at a free day at the park.
Last edited by Moley on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowe

There is a high chance of me being bashed for what I'm about to say.

I've applied for the Coaster Cuties, purely because:

1. There is a very small chance of me being chosen as one of the 13, so why the heck not even if I don't apply for the 'correct criteria'.

2. But if I were to get through, then I would be a difference to the number of scantily clad women that are constantly shown in things like lad mags and Page 3. I don't wear make up, hotpants or ridiculously short skirts, high heels and spend X amount of time making myself look the part.
I would be proving to women everywhere that size 6 with buxom cleavage and a body tall/slim as a stick isn't needed to be a 'Cutie' and that being natural is more attractive than being faux.

Otherwise, eh. If that's what Alton Towers are doing to attract visitors of my age market and above then so be it, it's their mistake if it falls flat on its face, not ours. The whole competition belongs at Thorpe Park really, they should have done a PR swap with the 'No Scream Ban'.
captain

[quote=""Moley""]To be fair, the mongs who post on there complained at a free day at the park.[/quote]
Yup and the very first reply, right below the instructions on how to apply, was "How do u apply lol"

:no:

Edit: Whilst I admire your sentiment Rowe, I imagine Alton already have a set image of what type of girl will feature on the calendar, and I bet it resembles the lady already posed on Thirteen. If you get through to the selection, I imagine they will try make all girls conform to the classic lads' calender look. We shall see. Good luck though.
[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]