Alton Towers Marketing/PR Stunts Topic

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
bradpeet

[quote=""Dorsia""]Because the stunts don't make people go for a certain event usually, you can't really measure which stunts work and which flop. People might, as in the play I wrote, generally agree to go "at some point".

Though, in fairness, this one is a bit cringeworthy.

I kind of want to go though, I imagine they might put a bit of effort in and maybe have the wraiths etc out. Shame they left it too late to make me think about this again, I had forgotten about this stunt and one days notice is not enough. :P[/quote]

Obviously your last comment is irrelevant, if it's just about keeping us talking about Alton Towers. Whether you go tomorrow or not is apprently something they are not concerned with - although if that is true why have they produced limited edition merchandise for the day? It doesn't quite add up.

Neither do such stunts give me a warm feeling about Merlin. I'm not about to pretend that I'm going to boycott the place, but I'm sure glad that I don't pay full price for my season pass.
Nightfall

[quote=""bradpeet""]although if that is true why have they produced limited edition merchandise for the day?[/quote]
I have a feeling that they will stock more than a days worth of Fourteen merchandise. Since a Friday the 13th doesn’t come around very often I imagine they’ll be keeping this idea up for a couple of years. It will give the staff some variety and probably increase the popularity of visiting on such days.

Personally calling it Fourteen felt a bit like an unimaginative cop out. I read several facebook comments saying "rename it Fourteen" and hoped they’d be a bit more original. For example:
Opening the ride on the 13th hour (1:00PM) for those who defy superstition

As for what I think of the marketing over all it certainly has got attention in the way Dorsia mentioned. The people who tend to get wound up about it are like us, who will go anyway. I just hope there is a limit to how far there willing to push their luck.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Jordan

They seem to be going all-out on the name change, the Daily Star put up an article about Friday the 13th ([url=http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/14 ... o-freaky-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/14 ... o-freaky-/[/url]) and featured this image showing the Fourteen logo being put up over the Th13teen one:

Anthony

Yeah, the last bit wasn't related to the original point, that was specific to this stunt.

@Squiggles

To the general public, any park is good enough. If someone wants to go to a theme park/amusement park/funfair, they will. The point is that the reminder makes them think of Alton Towers as opposed to somewhere else.

I have been with people who have chosen Drayton Manor over Alton Towers, and because I never went to theme parks, was happy enough to go along with it. I knew AT was better, but wasn't bothered enough as I just liked rides generally back then. People want a day out, the marketing makes sure that day out is Alton Towers, whenever it happens.
James6

On Alton's facebook page, I honestly think this is a great bit of Marketing :D Even if it has really annoyed a lot of people, especially on Facebook.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
ch4r1ie

Even though it's renamed fourteen for the day, there is still 13 in the name, where the "r" is. So it defeats the whole point in changing the name for superstitious reasons. Besides, I don't think anyone who is that superstitious of friday the 13th wouldn't be going to a theme park on that day anyway.

A whole lot of hype, for not very good reasons me thinks. But it has worked, everyones talking about it...
Vik

The 13 in the title has been altered to look like an R. So it saus FouRteen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

ch4r1ie

Yes but you can still clearly see it is still a number 13, just made to look like an R.
bradpeet

This may be my last posting on topics regarding stunts like these - I feel like I'm feeding a troll!

But what does it matter whether you can still see the '13' or not in the fourteen sign?

Have they replaced the XIII slab in the queueline by one saying XIV? Or have they added a XIV and still left the XIII?

It makes no difference whether people would or would not ride Th13teen on Friday 13th, it just keeps Alton Towers in people's minds. And any discussion on forums or comments on facebook etc just reinforce that in a viral manner.
buffaloBen

This marketing is just getting stupid now!

Many say "it keeps alton towers in peoples minds", and it does! except that its putting people off.
I have heard so many people say "Im not going alton towers on friday because the new ride Thirteen is closed" - Thats really bringing people through the gates...?

We had it before, at the start of the season when people we put off coming because they thought there was a age restriction on Thirteen.

They have a good themed ride and they make it look cheap and pants by putting up temporary entrance signs made of material all because of some S""" marketing.

Alton should look at some of the best parks and resorts in the world and look at there marketing.
Do you see Disney, Universal, sea world, six flags, europa park or any of the biggest names in the theme park industry just slapping crap on facebook or in the local papers.

There is a difference to marketing so you get in peoples head and put them of coming to the park or good marketing that will bring people to the park.

Altons marketing is something of a mess. Sort it out. (Even Thorpe park isn't that embarrassing)
A5H

Alton Towers weren't lying, Th13teen is closed today!, and Fou13teen is open :P

Along with the name change, new merchandise will be available for today only including all the original Thirteen branded items being available as Fourteen branded :)
Wish I was going now :P
ThrillJunkie

I really hope the gate numbers are down today because everyone thought the new attraction would be closed.

That would teach them not to :shock: about with stupid publicity stunts!
ThrillJunkieUK
Nightfall

I think it's spelt Fou13teen/FOUI3TEEN :P

Oh no, am I going to have to add a Fourteen logo to my TH13teen custom scenery set. Along with all the other stuff that’ll take ages :shock:

Like I said in the marketing topic I bet they'll do this again next May. If they do it might be worth going along to just for the novelty.
[align=center]Image[/align]
BigAl

I want to go too but my parents are working and I don't think they'll want to go afterwards. My 14 year old brother doesn't like theme parks/rides/anything which moves/spins/rolls, etc... It's just me and when I asked they didn't seem up for going just so I could have a look at and maybe buy some of their limited edition stuff. If anyone gets some stuff or takes any photos, please upload them. If I manage to persuade my family into going then I'll try and get a few snaps with my phone.
DiogoJ42

I've just worked it out. Morewonga is, in fact, Eric Cartman. She's using the "you can't come here" technique. #-o
NF2

So Diogo, what you're saying is that we're going to hve to suffer another PR stunt when she eventually announces that the entire park has been renamed "Angoveland" :mrgreen:

Somehow, such a stunt seems to subtle for the AT marketing dept :P
towers freak

At least renameing Th13teen to Fourteen for the day is better than when they renamed Nemesis Wonderland for a month.
[Archive]

Yes, and what about Camilla Queen of Speed?

I think they should dig out the Fourteen signage and merchandise every Friday the 13th. Make it a tradition! But just don't advertise it in this annoying way.
Moley

I quite like this idea.

Shoot me.
Mankey

Interesting publicity stunt though... Think they'll do this every Friday 13th?

God some collectors will be like "OMFG GOING TODAY!" just for the merch!
Back from hibernation!