Submission

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ash84

Just a quick question folks, do they ever use the far sie of this ride anymore?

I haven't seen it run for years, which is a pitty as they looked great when they ran together.

Feel free to lock once its answered!

Ash
AshleeK

I think so. Submission rarely gets a queue big enough to justify using both parts of the ride, so that could be why.

---- Post Info Added ----

I think so. Submission rarely gets a queue big enough to justify using both parts of the ride, so that could be why.
cmpunk771

There are a few Rumors about this, One is that that side is Broke and they dont want to get the new parts.

Another is that its just not busy enough to run or they dont have the right amount of staff.

Northing is Official so there is no right answer to it
James6

Like stated my cmpunk, there are a ton of rumours about why, I find the ride is extremely painful, it's better this way, the fewer riders Submission has the better :P .
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Vik

They used to alternate which side was used. Though the far side appears of been out of action since last season. Even testing only only one side is now used, where as sometimes they would operate both sides during testing.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Ash84

I would assume it would be better to alternate which they use, at least that way both will be in operational order and could be used in the event of a breakdown.

Seems a bit odd to abandon one side.

Ash
Chris W

I couldn't care less about Submission anymore, its painful and uninteresting.
The only thing the ride has going for it was when it was running with two arms, it looked great.

Could it be the case that the other side has been sacrificed for parts to keep one arm running?

It surely must be on the list for removal.
elmerfudd

^ I second that, could not agree with you anymore Chris. The reason it doesnt get guests on is probably because its so painful they dont want to ride again, which is the case for me. Its a waste of time and space, and I believe its had the Alton experience and needs to move on.
I think they need to take a long look at x sector anyway, with the black hole tent taking up alot of room and Alton must have noticed that submission doesnt rake in the guests.
Matt

Chance rides have are no longer around so its very hard to get parts!
Themeparksandy1981

Did they ever use both sides at the same time. Since 2001 when it opened I doubt I queued longer than 15 mins for this ride.
Off topic but I think X sector really killed the thrill rides for AT. Let me explain Enterprise was better when it was in festival park it run better. I know it looked like a travelling fun fair ride back then but they could have themed it to fit into UK land. Also the Astro dancer should have stayed in the area with the wheel still on the cart. Energizer was a big disappointment as I had hoped that it would have been better than it was in festival park but it was put on a tame setting and I didn't see any staff control it themselves like they did in festival park.
Big Dave

I heard several rumours that the original (not sure if its still the case) air system for the harnesses was not strong enough to keep the restraints closed all the time and often then would move. I also dont know if it runs on a ratchet system or not. Im going to have a look around to see what I can dig up, but like I said it had been rumoured for some time that it was a restraint issue when both sides are in operation, but could have been fixed now.

Edit: Cannot find anything directly relating to Submission, but I know Chance ordered the replacement of several harness parts on their older models. I cannot see it being unsafe to run both sides, but maybe it does cause problems with the ride systems and Alton Towers (knowing it never gets a queue) have chosen simply not to run both sides as a precaution.
Last edited by Big Dave on Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
onair

It did look so much more inviting with both arms going. I just wish they never removed the Energizer / Boneshaker from the X Sector as that ride looked great when the X Sector first opened in that position.
Crofty

Isn't it just a case of staffing levels?

The current operation I think only requires one member of staff, i'm not sure how the operation works but I'd guess that if both sides were being used then you'd have one Ride op and another member of staff dispatching.

:D :D
Big Dave

Yes but on the rare occasions it does get a queue, why don't they run two members of staff with both sides? I think its more than just staff levels.
oldgitBEN

this topic seems to appear every year and we still never get to the bottom of the story.

I went on submission a couple of weeks ago and actually I quite enjoyed it, its a shame both sides dont work as it looks so much better.
Themeparksandy1981

[quote=""Big Dave""]Yes but on the rare occasions it does get a queue, why don't they run two members of staff with both sides? I think its more than just staff levels.[/quote]

Well it runs 2 minimum staff anyway as 1 runs the ride from the booth as well.
djtruefitt

Im sure when I went it only had one staff running it, im sure the guy put us all in then went to the controls. But that was in early June and the park was dead so it wasnt like there was a que or anything for him to be rushing. I have to say I didnt enjoy the ride (I went on when it was new but dont really remember that) but going on it the other week I just left with a headache.
daboywunda

Well, the rumour circulating around a couple of years ago was that there is a part in one of the arms that is fatally damaged and due to Chance not being around any more, they cannot get a part for it - even if they wanted to, so as a result the other arm has been sacrificed for parts. At one point, they did alternate the arms to ensure that if a part could be found from another removed one in the world that they could get both in operation again, but due to this not happening and more parts needed on Submission, they are just maintaining the one arm instead.

I have a picture some-where of when it was running on 2 arms, but not sure what I've done with it... It's such a shame that they allowed it to get into the state its in and surely must be on the list of rides to replace when it comes to a new addition to the blackhole tent.
DiogoJ42

I'm gonna tell you something. It's not a very popular idea... you don't hear it very often any more...
Buuuut... I have been on Submission before, and...

...I had a real good time.

Didn't get a headache, didn't get my balls crushed, didn't get bruised, didn't get a headrush didn't loose... erm... one second of consciousness...

laughed my ass off... and went about my day.

:shrug: Sorry!

a thousand points to the first person to get this reference.

[spoiler:2gp7bqvy]By the way, if anyone still thinks Submission is painful, go ride the Stargate (strobe warning on this vid).
Then we'll talk. ;)[/spoiler:2gp7bqvy]
Oblivion_

[quote=""James6""]Like stated my cmpunk, there are a ton of rumours about why, I find the ride is extremely painful, it's better this way, the fewer riders Submission has the better :P .[/quote]

I disagree. To be honest, like DiogoJ, I felt no pain. Then again, I was about 8.

Anyway, it is a known fact that the human eye is more attracted to symmetrical objects than otherwise, so maybe it could get a few more riders if it had the second arm running.

It would be for the better - the more people who ride it, the smaller the queues are for the other rides :L
Confirmed \'09:

Alton Towers, April 7th
Thorpe Park, Summer
Alton Towers, Scarefest

Unconfirmed \'09:

Wicksteed Park (D:)
Chessington, WoA