Disabilities?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
luke.eggerton

Hi
I have a disablatey about going to toilet and use the passes when I go. How many people are you aloud with you as a carer. Im going with 3 other mates. Will they get 3 carers bands ?
ghostchoir

This is all very strange. I can see AT's dilemma about not wanting to rank certain disabilities above others, but I would never even have considered skipping the queues because of difficulties with reading/writing. How bizarre.

I once got to skip the queues because I was in a wheelchair, and even then I felt terrible about skipping the queues despite the fact I physically wouldn't have been able to use many of the queue lines. I couldn't imagine doing so for something as common/minor as dyslexia.
PETER MOWBRAY

Well I have Dyslexia and I am partially sighted in my left eye..
I am being honest and I hope people respect my honesty but I used to milk the system at Alton Towers with my little wristband that I was offered far to easily.. :oops:

This year I could not face the thought of doing it as I feel that the system is wrong, and its being abused.

Today although I do qualify to receive special access wristbands for me & my family I choose not to but to join the ques.
I feel that they should be awarded to the most deserving.. :clap:
Last edited by PETER MOWBRAY on Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the latest news and quality updates from Blackpool & The Pleasure Beach look here..
Click on the Domain..! [url=http://www.liveinblackpool.co.uk\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.liveinblackpool.co.uk[/url]
Nightfall

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]Isn't there a topic for this somewhere? :P[/quote] You mean here. Worth a read for anyone that wants too.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Gemzie121

[quote=""Kendalgal""]I think any person who receives DLA, for any reasons inc the above, should not be made to feel rubbish about claiming a bonus pass for jumping queues. Lots of people on DLA have problems that are not visible to most people. I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and some days you wouldn't even know and some days you do. My life is hell sometimes so to have little perks like queue jumping really makes a difference and a perk to the most awful disease :cry: . However, when i go with my children, i opt out of this perk and just get a parent pass as technically it gives me the same benefits plus i can ride with other family members who come with us. I would hate to think im annoying you queuers though :roll: . Just think about the person who has a lifelong problem. DLA isn't handed out willy nilly, you have to go through loads of tests, interviews, examinations mostly which are humiliating :cry:[/quote]

I am exactly same as you, I have spina bifida and arthritis (requiring ankle fusion in near future) and my disability isnt visible to others unless I am wearing a splint/cast (obviously I cant for going to a theme park), or on my mobility scooter. Physically I cant cope with standing for any more than a very short period of time or my ankles give up on me and I fall over. Therefore I find the ability to not have to queue very useful, I think if I had to use say a 1 hour queue attending a theme park would be impossible for me, certainly my surgeon would not allow it. I get embarassed that people think I'm pushing in for no reason, like im not disabled, thats the nightmare of hidden conditions isnt it :( I agree the DLA thing is horrible, Ive been to tribunals etc and they gave me a right grilling, as if I was making up my disability, it was the single most degrading experience of my life. Problem is, all very well to say only people with mobility issues can use the passes, but they just cant discriminate between what does and does not constitute a valid reason to skip the queues. The only way would be to only get passes if you have a letter from your doctor outlining why they think you qualify as being unable to queue normally, but I just dont think it would be viable in the long run.
Merlin

Disabilities is a subject that really gets me boiled over.

Unfortunately, there are many rouge disabilities claiments that not only robs the hard working tax payers of thier hard earn cash, but also they rob the seveley disable the rights to make use of services that they really need. (I must point out that not all people claiming disabilities are rouges).

My wife is physically servely disable (but she is very much all thier with her mind). She suffers from two very rare condidtions, one is where her all her joints are natually and easily fractured. As a result, she can't put weight on her legs or arms as well as she needs to imobilise them.

For DLA and blue bage, you need to fit a certain criteria. As a result of my wife disability, she is a prisoner in her own home. Going out for her is a total nightmare. Every time we go out, blue bage bays are hogged up by people that we see getting out that can walk (sorry we oftern she them running and walking very fast) more than the 100meters requirement oftern carringing heavy loads. Obviously these people have either borrowed, stolen or lied about thier disability.

And it is not just the blue bage holders that use the disable bays, ofter these are used by non blue bage holders who think it is ok to just park in these bays to quickly nip into the shop.

Disable toilets are oftern hogged up by non disable users.

My wife can't take the slightest knock with out it causing her pain and further fractures in her joints, but yet each time we go out, she is constantly knocked by disregarding people who think its ok to simply push by her.

This spoils it for people with genuine disabilites. Those with real moblility disabilities that need to use the disable entrance should not be label as que jumpers.

Also those with genuine disabilities that would mean using the normal que should not be denie the right to get on the rides quicker. It may seem unfair that they have an advantage to get on the rides quicker, but in thier every day life, life is genuinely unfair to them.

Alton Towers are excpetionally good for dealing with my wife condition and I can't fault them and they do a marvalous job.

Unfortunately, Alton Towers can't discriminate aginst someone who has a disability with out someone shouting out discrimination, (and this is why so many blue badges are dished out willie nillie).

Alton Towers policy is that all people should use the normal que entrance unless their disability prevents them from using the normal que line.

I think that those with non mobility disability should have a fast track pass for all rides leaving the disable entrance for those with mobility problems and of course the blind.

I'm sorry if I've offended any one here, and I do appriciate that some disabilities are hidden, but there is a very big difference between someone who is able to jump on and of rides running from ride to ride than someone who struggles getting on and off rides as well as having to rely on a wheel chair or walking stick due to servere pain. (and in my wife case having to be physically lifted carefully from wheelchair to ride) Please note that my wife can't ride any of the big rides due to her condition.

A time pass looks like the best way forward to this problem. Having a card that marks the que time down will deter a lot of people using the disable que, this has proven to work at thorpe park. And for those with a mobility problem, it takes them twice as long to walk to the next ride, so by the time they reach the next ride, the time would have elapse meaning that they would not have to wait very long to get on the ride.
pixie-ro

I don't think any reasonable person would begrudge those with serious physical disabilities having a disabled pass and not queuing. I think the issue here is the member who wants to use dyslexia as a reason for not queuing. Unless you were asked to write an essay whilst waiting for a ride, I don't think there can be any reason at all that dyslexia prevents you from standing in a line.
It is people like this who, to quote a previous poster, 'milk the system', that really should think about whether they need a disabled pass, because I see it as a bit of a slap in the face to those who really do need it, people who are truly deserving of it. Surely your own personal morals should prevent you from using dyslexia as an excuse for a disabled pass?
Mankey

The thing is, the disabled access is for ease of access, it's there to help the ride along and allow disabled users to safely ride the ride.

Unless you're physically disabled or rather severely mentally handicapped, I don't reckon you should be allowed on through the disabled entrance. Dyslexia is a poor poor excuse to skip queues and I'm annoyed at Alton for jumping on the stupidly PC bandwagon.

My dads fiancée claims to have MS, it annoys me because she's fine, I know she is. She parks in disabled spaces perfectly able to walk. Its people like this who should really be chased up on the matter. I know someone with MS and she's very ill atm, not like my dads woman.

Disabilities are a tough subject, everyone says they deserve to be treated the same as any "normal" able bodied person, but in moments like this i feel they're being patronised.

I hate political correctness! :(
Back from hibernation!
AstroDan

I don't think guest services will be giving out bands to guests with minor disabilities anymore.

The old system suffered a lot of abuse. Guests treated it like fastrack, when really it is designed to ease access onto rides.

If you have a major disability which prevents you navigating the queue line, you will still benefit.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Keira

I read the new policy and I'm a bit concerned as to whether I'd still get a band. The only physical disability it mentions is "non-ambulant" people - Well, I'm ambulant, I can walk, but not as well as most people, and I certainly wouldn't be able to stand in a queue for an hour or more and still get around find the rest of the day...But because I don't require a wheelchair I will have to queue?
Keira

That's the thing, I have a physical disability, am on the highest rate for mobility for my DLA, have a blue badge etc, but I'm not "permanently non-ambulant", I can walk. =/
Kaycee

From what I gather, it's just going to be a little harder for people such as those with dyslexia, to abuse the system. Keira, I'm pretty sure you will be fine, the idea is that the bands are given to those who genuinely struggle to queue - people with disabilities that do not affect ability to queue will find it a lot harder to receive a band - but those in Guest Services appreciate there are non-visible conditions that mean it's harder for people to stand on their feet for too long, etc etc. :) They're not doctors, I'm sure if you have sufficient proof, you will be fine. :)
Delta79

umm, Dyslexia, never stop me from queuing. A mate and fellow Dyslexic who can not read at all does have a small problem, when an operator says go to loading gate 2, 3 ,etc. he looks at me to point the gate out. but we both queue, and I read the signs to him, slowly but I get there.

But my daughter, has disabilities that make queuing hard. some one said about AT list for Disable passes, and my daughter fills a few of them

NO - Are permanently non-ambulant (ie, wheelchair users)
YES - Do not understand the concept of queuing
YES - Have difficulties with everyday social interaction
YES -Have a limited capacity to follow instruction or to understand others' emotional feelings or expressions
Sometimes - May become agitated or distressed having to wait an extended period of time.

She is mental disabled and is a danger to herself. but is physically fine, stronger then most girls her age, runs faster than most of the family.

Because she is not physically disabled, I worry about getting Disable pass for my daughter as I feel I need to try to make her fit into the world. As the last time we took advantage of disable passes (NOT AT) at a attraction we left early due to the abuse we got from other attraction users (and the spit and half suck sweets in her hair) distressed her so much.
Last edited by Delta79 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan77

[quote=""damos1""]If you feel you fit into any of these then you should be fine... But be aware proof is required as to why it will effect your way of queueing.

Are permanently non-ambulant (ie, wheelchair users)
Do not understand the concept of queuing
Have difficulties with everyday social interaction
Have a limited capacity to follow instruction or to understand others' emotional feelings or expressions
May become agitated or distressed having to wait an extended period of time.

I think Towers needs to change the wording of this and quick...

Ride Access Passes are no longer offered to guests with other disabilities, ie, hearing or visual impairment as this does not affect their ability to queue.

Actually if you have a visual problem you are highly likely to be effected as to how you queue in several ways such as walking into people, the queue lines are not the easiest to navigate, this leads to stress and of course ruins the said persons day.

Hearing... Maybe maybe not problems I could see maybe along the lines of balance depending on the person because the ear helps towards balance etc, also tens of other voices mumbling right next to you will be very annoying, and if you cannot see very well/cannot read then how are you supposed to read any warning signs without difficulty and a carer may not be able to help with this depending on wether you have several disabilities in 1 which is very usual.[/quote]

I've got visual problem myself, the only really issues i can see at Alton Towers is inside part Th13teen que line where it is very dark inside and also nemesis can be dark inside the station que line aswell.

I guess HEX speaks for it self! i don't no how many times ive bumped in to things!
Sassy

Hi all,

I found this place when Googling about Alton Towers and disabilities as this year was my first visit as a disabled customer.
I have ME/CFS, can't walk more than 10-15 meters and can only stand for 1-2 minutes before my legs feel like they are about to give way.
I went on Saturday and took my own wheelchair. I queued in guest services and asked for a red wristband and showed the lady my blue badge. She asked if it was my first time here which it was so I had to fill out a short form and she gave me the wristband and explained about the RAP card (which I think is the fairest way things can be!) but did say that she would 'let me in this time' but next time I won't be able to get a wristband unless I have a letter from my GP.
I was quite surprised by this as I was in a wheelchair and had a blue badge, I think it was plainly obvious I was unable to stand in a queue and had the photographic evidence to back it up.
I've tweeted guest services this morning to get it confirmed but if it is the case then I can wave goodbye to my next planned trip there as a letter from my GP will set me back £40, nearly triple the price of a disabled entry ticket.
The majority of GP surgeries in the UK charge for private letters so I won't be the only one in this predicament.
Disabled customers no longer queue hop with the new RAP system yet to enjoy the park like able bodied people and use the rides I have to pay £60 to get in for the day, double the price an able bodied customer has to pay.

On the plus side I would like to say that each and every staff member there were WONDERFUL, very polite, very friendly and spotted me and my carer straight away when I got to the ride exits and acknowledged us. The shop staff were great, asked if I needed help with anything or if I'd had any problems. The customer service experience was the best I've ever had, no complaints there whatsoever! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This was my first visit for almost 17 years (Nemesis was the latest ride when I last went and The Thunder Looper was my fave ride of the time, man I miss that ride!) and Air was just breathtaking, I loved every second!

So, tl;dr version: I highly recommend taking a GP letter when you go to guarantee your wristband, I genuinely thought my blue badge would be enough but it wasn't!
Dan77

[quote=""Sassy""]Hi all,

I found this place when Googling about Alton Towers and disabilities as this year was my first visit as a disabled customer.
I have ME/CFS, can't walk more than 10-15 meters and can only stand for 1-2 minutes before my legs feel like they are about to give way.
I went on Saturday and took my own wheelchair. I queued in guest services and asked for a red wristband and showed the lady my blue badge. She asked if it was my first time here which it was so I had to fill out a short form and she gave me the wristband and explained about the RAP card (which I think is the fairest way things can be!) but did say that she would 'let me in this time' but next time I won't be able to get a wristband unless I have a letter from my GP.
I was quite surprised by this as I was in a wheelchair and had a blue badge, I think it was plainly obvious I was unable to stand in a queue and had the photographic evidence to back it up.
I've tweeted guest services this morning to get it confirmed but if it is the case then I can wave goodbye to my next planned trip there as a letter from my GP will set me back £40, nearly triple the price of a disabled entry ticket.
The majority of GP surgeries in the UK charge for private letters so I won't be the only one in this predicament.
Disabled customers no longer queue hop with the new RAP system yet to enjoy the park like able bodied people and use the rides I have to pay £60 to get in for the day, double the price an able bodied customer has to pay.

On the plus side I would like to say that each and every staff member there were WONDERFUL, very polite, very friendly and spotted me and my carer straight away when I got to the ride exits and acknowledged us. The shop staff were great, asked if I needed help with anything or if I'd had any problems. The customer service experience was the best I've ever had, no complaints there whatsoever! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This was my first visit for almost 17 years (Nemesis was the latest ride when I last went and The Thunder Looper was my fave ride of the time, man I miss that ride!) and Air was just breathtaking, I loved every second!

So, tl;dr version: I highly recommend taking a GP letter when you go to guarantee your wristband, I genuinely thought my blue badge would be enough but it wasn't![/quote]

glad you had great time! isit really that bad that your expected to pay so much for a bit of paper!?. Disable badges issued base on letter from a Doctor? i don't see why you need to get another letter :S!

im very worried about my next visit if they are going to be like that then i guess i won't be going on Th13teen or Nemesis as they can be very dark inside!
luke.eggerton

I dont agree with them asking you why you need to jump the que. And I dont agree with the asking because I have a toilet promblem which is very embrasing to tell someone escpially when theirs a que !
And.

This has changed very recently at Alton, and you can now have a maximum of three helpers on each ride - meaning you can fill a row of 4 seats.
oldgitBEN

a friend of mine has visited today, she has rather severe back problems which means her standing for more than 15-20mins causes her quite alot of pain.

She phoned me today and told me about her day, drove in the main gate was parked by a 'friendly attendant' who asked to see the blue badge, and then told her exactly where to go as soon as she got in and to take the badge with her.

She went to guest services, who she said had no problem at all with her asking for the band, she said all she did was show her blue badge and they asked if she had a wheelchair as it could be an access problem, she volunteered the information about her back and they gave her and her sister the wristbands.

She had a great day, said the staff were great, loved the place and did it all in her own pace and never felt a fraud for using the exit. I think, Alton have hit the nail on the head.
Merlin

According to Alton Towers Click here! - A blue Badge should be suffice to get a ride pass.

I agree with Damos1 post :clap:

I was at Drayton Manor yesterday (yes I saw Ben 10 being tested), Not once did I see a single soul using the disable que, probably due to the fact that all the rides were walk ons all day despite a lot of guest in the park. This goes to show how much Alton Towers Disable ques have been abused.

Either you need to use the disable ques because of the nature of your disability, but not as a exscuse to jump the ques.