Nemesis Shoes

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
towers19

I heard a rumour today then when riding Nemesis you are required to take your shoes off. Can anyone shine any light onto this please
dasbudd

You are not required to take your shoes off, but if they aren't secure then it's advised that they are taken off.
Big Dave

Some rides actually state you MUST take your shoes ONTO the ride. If they are loose you are often told to remove them and find an more appropriate pair of shoes before riding. This is the case for ripsaw and Th13teen I believe. Riders must wear shoes just in case they are required to alight the ride in the event of an emergency.
DiogoJ42

Quite the opposite. Many people take their shoes off on rides because
a) They are stupid,
b) They are so stupid that it never occurred to them to wear decent shoes to a theme park,
c) They are so unbelievably stupid, that they do not realise waiting for them to take off their shoes is holding up the ride,
d) They have a foot fetish.
e) [this applies only to AIR] They think people want someone's foul, festy feet in their face.

However, if the ride E-stops on a lift hill, you may have to walk down metal stairs. This could harm you feet if you are not wearing shoes.

I beg you to do the honorable thing, and wear trainers / boots / something that is secured to your feet! [-o<
Mi-Nigle

I really don't understand the point in taking shoes off. I've been on air and my sister has been asked to keep her shoes on before now. Basically, what DiogoJ42 says, wear shoes that will stay on while riding a roller coaster!

Also, sensible shoes are a good idea because you will be doing a lot of walking on any day at Alton Towers. I'd advise wearing shoes that are comfortable on long distances and are a good fit so they stay on.
DiogoJ42

The main offenders seem to be teenage girls. I guess they are not exactly known for sensible footwear. :roll:
Bloo

On Oblivion there was an announcement twice whilst we were queing that shoes MUST be worn on the ride. Though i have seen lots of pics of Nemesis where people have no shoes on
Kendalgal

Thing is though, flip flops are comfy for ladies. I wear them most time i go to Alton so take them off when riding Nemmie and Air. Sit down coasters i keep them on. I do take a pair of mini socks though to put on in the queue just before i get on so not to hold up the ride.

By the way, im a 26 year old with 2 kids so no teen :wink:
Mum to Hollie (9) & Madison (5)
Islander

Something that I've never understood on Inferno (and hence I guess (?) the same is true for Nemesis) is that they have two rules: a) shoes MUST be worn, and b) loose shoes and stiletto-type shoes MUST be removed.

Now, each rule on it's own makes sense (gotta wear shoes for evacuation, 'cause the stairs are metal grid and could injure, but loose shoes could fall off, and stiletto-type shoes could get caught in the grid) but the two are somewhat mutually exclusive! They uphold the second rule above the first, so you often see chavvy teen girls riding without shoes... but then in doing so they're breaking the first rule...

It confuses my poor brain... :?
AWTSW90

I always take my shoes off for Nemesis just in case, I'd rather not run the risk of loosing them in the pool, even if it is slight! Sorry if i'm ruining your day there Diogo!
Got to be honest though, i've never come across anyone holding a ride up by removing shoes :? I thought everyone did it in the queue as they get to the front...

Wierdly enough, while working on a rapids ride i've had people ask me if they can take their shoes off...I just can't see the advantage to that! It baffles me!
SLC_Boii x

I can't see why not - I you're allowed at other parks - I was allowed on Cliffhanger and Kumali at Flamingo Land.

I do seem to remember the Nemesis and Air teams telling us that shoes had to be on. Last time I went at scarefest, Oblivion had to be stopped as someones shoes fell in the hole :s
Vicki

Converse people, the ultimate theme park shoe! Seriously, I wear my high top ones every time I visit, and apart from the lack of water resistance, they've been great, never feared they'd fall off.
The Lonely end of the Rink- a great song, and it\'s usually the case when I go ice skating because I just can\'t keep up!
Anonymous

Ah ow, i was expecting some branded nemesis shoes when opening this topic.

Anyway; you do NOT have to take off your shoes on Nemesis - It's fine if you do take them off, but please hurry up and put them in the cage. As asking a member of staff to take them off for you while locked into your harness is really annoying and causes hold ups!

As per above, wearing suitable shoes is always a good thing.
Bloo

[quote=""SLC_Boii x""]Last time I went at scarefest, Oblivion had to be stopped as someones shoes fell in the hole :s[/quote]

:lol: This made me laugh!
Actually when i was there on the 27th the ride got stopped because someone thought it would be a brilliant idea to hold a camera whilst on Oblivion, and a staff member had to go up to the top to retrieve it. Everyone in the que was booing the car as it came back round. haha
Fantasmic

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]Quite the opposite. Many people take their shoes off on rides because
a) They are stupid,
b) They are so stupid that it never occurred to them to wear decent shoes to a theme park,
c) They are so unbelievably stupid, that they do not realise waiting for them to take off their shoes is holding up the ride,
d) They have a foot fetish.
e) [this applies only to AIR] They think people want someone's foul, festy feet in their face.
[/quote]

Or f) - none of the above.

I wear sensible shoes to theme park... trainers, which are well worn in! BUT I have nearly blacked out on Nemesis before, and the time I did was the one time I left my shoes ON. So that's why I take mine off!
Incidently, I always have my shoes off before load, soI take no more time than someone putting a bag in the hold! :|
DiogoJ42

What's on your feet has nothing to do with blacking out.
TheOneWho

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]What's on your feet has nothing to do with blacking out.[/quote]

That's what I thought. How could the shoes you were wearing make you nearly black out?

Why someone wouldn't wear comfortable shoes that fit is beyond me, and that's just for general wear, never mind at a place like AT.
fredward

Umm. I really doubt that you would black out from wearing shoes on nemesis...

mainly because the human body can tolerate a lot of G's the normal amount used as a limit on rollercoaster's is about 5-6G's this is because with a constant amount of 6G can create loss of consciousness, but you would never be exposed to a long enough time.

nemesis has a max G of 3.5-4G,

Plus (as said above) how do shows affect you blacking out? the G's need to be applyed closer to your head to cause that! and shoes are at the furthest point away from your head on your body!
Islander

If anything (and this effect is going to be completely negligible) wearing shoes would prevent you blacking out, as the slight pressure on your feet would prevent blood from pooling there, thus keeping it further up your body.

...but like I said, that'll be completely negligible. Wearing shoes certainly won't make you black out, though.

...though having said that, if the one time you blacked out was the one and only time you were wearing your shoes, I can certainly see why you'd have that mental link.

...and having said all of that, I now realise that I over-use '...' :-k

:P
Maddie

i always wear comfy, well fitting slip-on flat shoes when visiting alton. they stay on my feet perfectly fine when walking around, but due to the nature of nemmy and my shoe, i do fear they will come off! so they go in the cages :)