Rate Th13teen

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

Th13teen Overall Rating

Poll runs till Sat Jun 25, 2050 2:44 am

5 Stars - The Ultimate Rollercoaster
16%
4 Stars - Impressive
55%
3 Stars - Average, Nothing Special
23%
2 Stars - Poor and Disappointing
2%
1 Star - Waste of Money
4%

Total votes: 194
Trixz

[quote=""James""][quote=""Trixz""]To say its a 5 star ride is going way over the top and i would assume that thats down to new ride hype.[/quote]

Well I voted it a 5 star ride. It's a matter of opinion, you don't think it's 5 star, I do. No one's right or wrong on here. My 5 star rating has got nothing at all to do with hype, I'm not sure what you're getting at there :?[/quote]

I meant the general pattern where a new ride is "the best ride ever" when its new but a couple of months in peoples opinions drop.

[quote=""Blaze""][quote=""bradpeet""]
It was my being stupid enough to believe there was something in the hype that led to me being so disappointed in Th13teen. If it had not been for the combination of the hype and it replacing a proper rollercoaster (yes, I mean Corkie) I might have rated it a 4 instead of a 3.[/quote]
How is Thirteen not a 'proper rollercoaster?' Lets see, wheels, track, initial source of momentum (i.e. lift) followed by gravity powered section. Corkscrew and Thirteen are about the same height and last about the same time. Thirteen has theming, forawds and backwards sections, two small launches, am indoor dark section and a world first element. And it is not even slightly painful, is infinately re-ridable and thoroughly modern. The exact opposite of Corkscrew. All that had going for it was a great view, which Thirteen almost matches, a funky lift sound and sentimental value. There was a whole year between the closure of Corkscrew and Thirteen's opeining, more than enough time to get over it's closure, so there is no point taking it out on Thirteen that Corkscrew is finally gone. It had the sentimental value and was so important, but was too old; it had to go. It's not like the park have treated it badly, they even saved the screws and recylced part of the track for theming on Thirteen. Also, there was over a year between the plans being released and opening. We spent that year discussing that the ride will be a fun, but short and not particularly intense ride. And shock horror, that is what it is. If at the last minute the words 'Ultimate Rollercoaster' made you think Nemesis V2, then that is not the ride or marketing departments fault; it is, to be bluntly honest, yours. I'm not having a go, it's just that some of the things people, have been saying don't stand up. Opinions are opinions and therefore can not really be wrong, but the reasoning behind some of the arguments don't make sence. I acept people won't like the ride, it seems to be one of those rides you either love or hate, and that is fine, but moaning about it being where Corskscrew was and for meeting the audience it was meant for, is wrong.

[quote=""Trixz""]
To say its a 5 star ride is going way over the top and i would assume that thats down to new ride hype.[/quote]
How is it over the top? If people love the ride, they love it. In your opinion, the ride is not worth 5 stars, and that is fine, but to other people, it is a fair score for it. Most people on here have riden it dozens of times now, so any hype is well out the window and the ride is being judged on what it is, not what they said (or indeed, how people took what they said), and this applies to both the like and dislike groups on here. As James stated, I think it is a 5 star ride, but that has nothing to do with hype. It is my opinion. Yours is that it is not worth 5 stars, mine is. Nothing to do with ype. To me the hype was meaningless, something to excite me for 5 minutes. I was excited by the construction updates, not what the latest S*n headline proclaiming age limits or whatever they said.[/quote]

I dont think theres anything wrong with people giving it a 5 thats there opinion and i didnt mean to imply that i was simply saying that i cant understand how its a 5 star coaster
WE ARE ALL WITNESSESS
Ritadz

6 stars from me, my new favourite ride. I've never said this about a ride before but this is the only ride i don't mind queuing for more than 45 minutes, thats how much i love it. Its a good ride for people of all ages, i'd call it "the RMT's big brother"

EDIT

In a way, it is an ultimate rollercoaster in the way that its a thrilling, fantastic ride for people of all ages (as long as their 1.2 to 1.96m) and i bet if i rode it 30 times in a row i wouldn't get bored of it as much as i would on Oblivion or as sick from re riding as Nemesis or Sonic.

It isn't in anyway a "physocoaster", i'd call it the worlds first "Intamin Drop Coaster".
ianzzr11

Total waste of time. We waited all this time for it. First drop very average then the rest was a total bore fest. When you ride Rita it takes your breath away. Nemesis still makes you go wow.

Watch people as they come of 13. They dont look to animated to me. Watch the same people come of Rita or Oblivion. I honestly wouldnt queue more then ten mins for it.

When I rode Stealth at Thorpe I queued for 3 hours and it was worth it. Can't say the same for 13. I am so gutted.
Last edited by ianzzr11 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dormiens-Dave

It really amazes me still how this ride polerises people, when on single rider waiting at the exit for the rest of my group i listened to people coming off and the views where so different,

Some came off saying it was absolute cr*p others came off really loving it, generally i think those who hate it are those who think loops and height are what make good rollercoasters (Saw lovers :P ) and don't mind how boring the ride really is just so long as it goes upside down or high (stealth lovers... only joking).

Hopefully when they sort out the second lift hill problems they can reduce the trims and get the ride running at a better more thrilling pace
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""ianzzr11""]Total waste of time. We waited all this time for it. First drop very average then the rest was a total bore fest. When you ride Rita it takes your breath away. Nemesis still makes you go wow.

Watch people as they come of 13. They dont look to animated to me. Watch the same people come of Rita or Oblivion. I honestly wouldnt queue more then ten mins for it.

When I rode Stealth at Thorpe I queued for 3 hours and it was worth it. Can't say the same for 13. I am so gutted.[/quote]

That's because its designed to be more of a phycological experience than a rough thrill with more emphasise on theming, tension and anticipation before you drop into the crypt. (although branding it as a psychocoaster was a bit much).

:)
bradpeet

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]Some came off saying it was absolute cr*p others came off really loving it, generally i think those who hate it are those who think loops and height are what make good rollercoasters (Saw lovers :P ) and don't mind how boring the ride really is just so long as it goes upside down or high (stealth lovers... only joking).[/quote]

I know you are generalising - but in my case I know that a good coaster does not need loops and height. (Although I don't hate the ride)

I had high hopes for the outdoor section, because with the potential for a reasonable speed; air time hills; fast curves / near misses through the trees and being at least partially a terrain coaster I felt it could be something special for what it is. And it just does not deliver in my opinion.

The build up to the secret element suggested that the special effects would enhance the actual experience - and again I see no evidence of it doing so.

The best part of the ride is probably the backwards launch and drop / curve into and through the helix - but somehow it's just not enough after the first two sections of the ride.

My opinion is that it could and should have been so much better. I do also wonder whether the 'experience' has been compromised for the sake of throughput - I just feel that a little longer spent in the bottom of the crypt to give the feeling of being trapped (probably with effects to simulate the floor above continuing to crumble) before the backwards escape would make the ride better.
Blaze

[quote=""ianzzr11""]Total waste of time. We waited all this time for it. First drop very average then the rest was a total bore fest. When you ride Rita it takes your breath away. Nemesis still makes you go wow.

When I rode Stealth at Thorpe I queued for 3 hours and it was worth it. Can't say the same for 13. I am so gutted.[/quote]
I've never seen anyone animated on Rita any more than the general reaction people have on thrill rides; the after effect of a sudden addrenaline rush. Oblivion however does have an affect on people. I watched people come off Thirteen and most I saw were visibly possitvely affected in some way. There were also a lot of people who dismised it as rubbish, although all of them were the 'Thorpe types' that think it needs height speed and loops and such.

I think people notice more the people with similar feelings to themselves. People who loved it, such as myself, will notice other people who love it more than people who don't like it, and people who don't like it will notice others who don't like it more. I think there is actually a name for this psychological effect.

I don't get the comparison with Stealth. Two completely different rides. Stealth is designed for the 'Thorpe types' and to give an immediate and obvious 'wow' factor due to the speed and size. It is meant to brainwash the 'Thorpe types' we on this site keep refering to. The 'it's small and got no loops, so must crap' types. That's not to say it isn't a great ride, because it is, but Thirteen is not about that. It is about the build up and anticipation, and the psychological, subconcious, effects. It is more subtle and subliminal, and designed to be a different sort of thrill and delivery of Stealth, and pretty much every ride built before it. To call it a 'psychoaster' was parhaps overkill, especially when Oblivion done the same psychological thing years ago and more effectively.

I also agree I was expecting the outside section to be a bit more intense, but the lack of intensity is made up for by fun. It manages to be almost as much fun as Sonic but won't make you sick after too many rides, and is more fun than RMT and more comfortable.
TheWraithWithNoFace

[quote=""Blaze""] It is about the build up and anticipation, and the psychological, subconcious, effects. It is more subtle and subliminal, and designed to be a different sort of thrill and delivery of Stealth, and pretty much every ride built before it. To call it a 'psychoaster' was parhaps overkill, especially when Oblivion done the same psychological thing years ago and more effectively.[/quote]

We were promised psychological and subconcious effects, did we get them, did we heck. We got green lights and an air blast.

Its a good fun ride. scary? No.
Top 5 Nemesis|The Flume...Obviously.|Oblivion|Duel|Rita
Blaze

I didn't say it was scary, especially for us, I simply said what it is about. And there are subconscious and psychological effects. The ladder you walk under, the creaking floor in the crypt and a host of other features. It may not be scary to us but to some it might be. Even the name has a psychological effect on people.
TheWraithWithNoFace

^Sorry if you got the impression I was having a go at you, i wasn't.

I don't understand how the ladder is supposed to be scary, half of the GP think it's still being constructed, yes the creaking floor, but most of the time people scream over it.

Its about 2/10 on the scary scale, it has the oppurtunity to be 10, but Alton fluffed it on that front.

But to be honest, i think they've done a great Job with thirteen, the theming and the inside section are fantastic, shame about the length on the ride and the coaster part... #-o .
Top 5 Nemesis|The Flume...Obviously.|Oblivion|Duel|Rita
Blaze

Oh, no, I didn't think that, I was just trying to clear up what I said.

The ladder is supposed to be scary becausse you walk under it. Lots of people will probably think it is still being built, but if they are that stupid as to not understand theming then their opinions really don't count for much.

It could have been much, much more scary, but they don't have Disney/Universal money to do so and that would mean less people would ride it. As it is, it is a mildly scary but amazing ride.
Doom and son

I think it's gonna get better with age this one, gonna have my second ride on it tomoz providing it's running ok. I really wanted to sit at the back too because i've read from some of the posts that it's the best ride experience but again might not be able to if they are leaving the back 4 seats empty again? How's it been running today?
One word sums up 13 for me:
Unique.

---- Post Info Added ----

Went on thi3teen for the second time today(when it finally started running, air and nemesis were both having problems too) and WOW what a difference the second time on it makes!. I didn't notice that alton towers worker in the woods with vines all over him before(only a dummy not a real person), and the hand coming out the grave. Also inside the crypt seemed better this time, might be my imagination but the drop felt longer,more free-fall and less controlled. Plus it was icy-cold going backwards in the tunnel today!. Enjoyed the outside coaster part more too.
Any chance i had a different ride experience due to the fact i went on it later on in the day(track warmer)?.
Or that it was carrying less weight?(back four seats on each train were still not in use).
On this post i originally gave it a 3, but it has jumped up to a 4 easily now.
I think maybe there is just too much to digest on your first ride on this,
Love it!, but still feel more could of been done with the outside coaster section for it to be a 5.
Tesla coil still not on.
Links 2 3 4....
The Bird Is The Word!
Josh Murphy

[quote=""ColossusI for instance have been on the Mummy rides in Florida and California, Expedition Everest and coasters throughout the States and Europe and therefore only rate Th13teen as average. If I hadnt have been on those rides, then it would probably rate better.[/quote"]

Exactly.
TurboJ

I definitely give it a 4/5. It's not the Ultimate Coaster we were promised, but I found it to be loads of fun and worth the 2 hour wait I endured at the end of the day.
Anonymous

I was between 2 and 3 stars but decided to be kind and go for 3.

It would have been 2 but i think i may he a harsher judge having rode far superior rides in orlando. Examples that are comparible are the mummy and expedition everest.

As it stands the ride is ok for what it is but a major disappointment from the advertising campaign
ArronL94

Terribly over-rated but still a pritty good ride! :clap:
It's a great addition to the park, and stop complaining, its better than corkscrew!
D-Man

Ssshhhh...Dont go saying things like that on here! You will get murdered for saying anything about corkscrew :P Lol just joking

(sorry a tad off topic with that..) :lol:
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Evostance

Just got back from Alton today.

Went on 13 and I knew what happened. I've heard poor reviews and lots of my friends had said it was average, so I went in there with a clear mind not expecting much.

Boy oh boy.

I was right not to expect much...

Considering we only queued for 40minutes as it kept breaking down, I thought we did pretty well. The theming was very good and was very Alton. The Tesla coil didn't come on while I was in there though.
My girlfriend also thought that it was still under construction due to the scaffolding and when I told her it was meant to look like that, she was convinced it wasn't and they and left the scaffolding there from the build. Too my suprise, some people infront of me decided to back my girlfriend up and say they were still working on the theming..

Anyway, on to the ride.

I felt that it was FAR too slow and you can definitely feel those trims. Again, my girlfriend said that it felt like it was being held back on the first drop. To me, the rollercoaster felt more like a leisurely stroll rather than "the ultimate coaster" - far to slow, smooth and relaxing.

The indoor bit was well themed however I was dissapointed with the drop. Even though I knew what was going to happen, it felt a bit too mechanical and controlled rather than freefall.

The backwards bit was rather dark, jolty and cold. The coldness was good, especially since it was ROASTING outside and made it feel more like a crypt. There was no lighting in the tunnel though like in the gmtv/promo videos.

Overall its worth a ride while your there but I dont think its a worthy replacement for Corkie, or to be classed as a SW. All previous SW's have been big and mean. This was pretty timid and should not have been given a SW status.

6/10 is what I gave it on Altons survey they stuck on my car
Blaze

Since when did SWs have to be 'big and mean'? I wouldn't say Arrow Pipelines were big and mean, and they were the original SWs before Nemesis. Air is big, not it's not really mean aside from the helix after the fly-to-lie. SW is just a name for big projects that are built in secret and are in some way innvoative and different.
AmayaAiYutaka

[quote=""ArronL94""]Terribly over-rated but still a pritty good ride! :clap: [/quote]

Yeah I agree :) It isn't the 'ultimate rollercoaster' but it's a good ride.
I think that it deserves to be called a SW even if others don't 8-[
I'd rate it about 4/5. I think that the 'outside section' could be faster but the crypt and the 'secret' part of it was good :)
From 3rd May 2010

Next Trip- 21st June 2015