Th13teen - Ride discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Craig

Please continue discussion regarding the new 2010 coaster Th13teen in here. Spoilers are permitted in here, so anything regarding which is either confirmed or highly credible should be posted in here. Spoiler tags are not necessary.

If you do not wish to know information regarding the main aspects/effects contained within the ride then do not scroll down any further!

Don't forget, you can post your full reviews of the ride in the reviews topic
Martin.C

Came across this a minute ago. This is the most accurate version of what happens inside the building that you will ever see!

(SORRY IF THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN SHOWN)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl78en-poAw
Nemair

The Th13teen soundtrack/theme is an orchestral, theatrical, subliminal version of a slowed Teddi-bears Picknick. If you think about the song, it fits perfect!
It's very creepy, along with the heartbeat!

This is only part of the piece though, the full thing is full of creepy sound design and odd time signatures!
Anonymous

Hello, I am new to the forum.

I want a quick question asked.

Do you think Thirteen will be more scary than Nemesis, Rita, and Oblivion? And if so, what elements will make it more frightening?
Evostance

[quote=""TheTechnoRat""]Hello, I am new to the forum.

I want a quick question asked.

Do you think Thirteen will be more scary than Nemesis, Rita, and Oblivion? And if so, what elements will make it more frightening?[/quote]

Physically? No
Physcologicaly? Apparently
MattH

the ride is supposed to play with the mind, and incorporate psychological fears, other than that, join the boat, none of us know exactly what will happen till march 20th
Mick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl78en-poAw[/quote]

Hmm...

I'm sorry to say I really don't think this is genuine. Two main reasons (though there are several more, niggling points)

1) There is nothing that the pit is being used for. I really think that they would not go to the incredible expense of such a deep excavation unless it was absolutely fundamental to the ride. I still think there's a great chance of being a double-drop system, as explored in my earlier post, based upon the comments about a 'half a second drop', and the distances involved. (Between top and middle and then bottom level, including pit, there is enough room to drop for half a second twice).

2) This animation does not show the lateral offset of the pieces of track, which we know for certain to be there from the construction pictures.

It's a very nice animation however, and obviously is not dissimilar from the kinds of effects we've all been discussing. But, for the reasons given, I doubt it's provenance.
There\'s plenty of room at the bottom!
Big Dave

It was said before that the pit is likely to house the mechanics of the ride. Im not expecting the drop to go far, if any, underground.
Wes

Bootcamp tomorrow - could this link into Wednesdays announcement? :D

MEGA EXCITED
Mick

[quote=""Big Dave""]It was said before that the pit is likely to house the mechanics of the ride. Im not expecting the drop to go far, if any, underground.[/quote]

The major consensus is that the track section drops, probably using hydraulics. Even the most elaborate hydraulic systems, such as on sophisticated simulators, do not require anywhere near the room that the pit on this ride provides. Besides, any drop system could be actioned using mechanics to the side, rather than excavating a very expensive pit. I discussed this in detail previously.

I maintain, as in my earlier post, that this pit is central to the operation of this ride. Of course, this is just my opinion, based on the evidence I've seen. I can't wait to find out what the truth of it is!
Islander

[quote=""Mick""]Even the most elaborate hydraulic systems, such as on sophisticated simulators, do not require anywhere near the room that the pit on this ride provides.[/quote]
For the actual mechanics, no, but for the mechanics + room to comfortably perform maintenance, preferably without going into the realms of a confined space permit-to-work system... I dunno, I buy it.

As for the fact that such systems could be beside, rather than under, the track. Good point, though perhaps they want to keep the footprint small.

Also, don't forget that, though fairly accurate, this isn't going to be a 100% accurate animation - after all, it's missing many components like brakes, traction wheels, a method to lock the train in place etc. Mechanics in the pit would be left out, IMO.

Overall, I see where you're coming from, but I seriously reckon it could be legit...
riderita

[quote=""oblivionadict95""]Came across this a minute ago. This is the most accurate version of what happens inside the building that you will ever see!

(SORRY IF THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN SHOWN)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl78en-poAw[/quote]

Ouch! That does look very professional! Who would have stabbed them in the back like this?
J-D

Hey guys whats to say that after the track drops it wont go back up to where it started and drop again. i am just finding it strange how a average coaster going round a track outside can be incoroprated into the ULTIMATE ride. to be the ultimate coaster surely its going to have to do more than just a small drop? :?

and that video that people are talking about will not be official by any means, any student could knock that thing up on Auto CAD my mates use it all the time.
fishdalf

I think by ULTIMATE coaster they mean it incorporates multiple elements:

- Lift Hills
- Launch (backwards)
- Vertical Drop
- Scare Factor
Mick

As for the fact that such systems could be beside, rather than under, the track. Good point, though perhaps they want to keep the footprint small.
Perhaps, but I doubt they'd go to such extreme expense of deep excavation (I'll find some actual numbers), just to keep the footprint small.
Also, don't forget that, though fairly accurate, this isn't going to be a 100% accurate animation

Of course - but the 'missing' bit in this case is pretty major! As it does not account for the offset in the track sections (and the floor in between them, for that matter), the actual movement depicted cannot be at all accurate.

Additionally, J-D is right - anyone with the right software and know how could knock this up in minutes, for sure. I could have done this using 3DStudioMax as much as ten years ago, for a start!
Dormiens-Dave

I doubt this is an exact representation of the ride mechanics, but from all the rumour and fact we know, this does seem like the most probable scenario regarding what the track does in the building, don't forget that if the hydraulics are required to make sudden, fast movements you would also have to factor in the possibility of accumalators been needed and stored in the pit as well as control systems and the like, I'm no engineer but its possible.

Then again we have only 4 more sleeps until we find out.
Mick

I totally agree Dave, as I've discussed before, that the element in the ride will be something like this animation shows. I'm only saying that I believe this particular animation is not genuine and have given my main reasons, based on the evidence we have, for thinking this. This animation is not consistent with what we know to be the case.

As for four more sleeps - personally, I can't wait to find out :) I couldn't care less about not finding out until I ride it - that's too far away :wink:
pj.frankophone

I think that if the animation was genuine, Alton Towers would have had it removed by now. I think they check this forum don't they?
altongeek

I think there is more to this ride than we think, I don't think its the drop that is going to be the main focus, its more likely to be the experience during the drop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible that the train could still roll around on the track whilst its tilting, so if the track tilts forward the train rolls forward slightly?
nicolah

Hi I do hope that this is what it is like as it was said before there is no-way it would still be on youtube the resort would have removed it and yes they do monitor this site.
nicola hunter