Th13teen - Ride discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
TheWraithWithNoFace

[quote=""Raz664""][quote=""TheWraithWithNoFace""]^ The restraints are actually quite good, its one per person. They dont really restrict airtime[/quote]

good :)

do they accomodate for 'larger' guests aswell? (my dad)[/quote]

Yes :P
Top 5 Nemesis|The Flume...Obviously.|Oblivion|Duel|Rita
bradpeet

[quote=""RR Elliot""]Talking of restraints, I would've preferred if they were the Mack lap-bars, like on Blue Fire. They look like you'll get alot more air time. I have a feeling you would also feel more free.[/quote]

It's not the lap bars which kill the airtime - it's the trim brakes. But we must remember that this is a family ride!
Blaze

[quote=""Dean""]Still no Tesla Coil due to the fact it's using to much power, so the power needs to be stepped down. Which is a shame as I was expecting a super visual effect for 13, but once it's running it will be a low powered Tesla Coil, which I can't see it being a very good spectical if it's only got so much power.

I hope i'm wrong but it's such as shame, when things have to be toned down, but that's the norm these days. :roll:

So we are back to square one as to when the Tesla will be working as normal operation... :cry:[/quote]
A low powered Tesla coil is still a Tesla coil. It will still be a stunning spectacle. We don't even know how powerful it is or how much power has been reduced, so you never know, it could still pack a massive punch.

Sad to hear the trains are back to 1,2 and 3. Numbering them 3,4 and 5 was a cool and quirky thing to do. I will count myself as one of the lucky ones who got to ride it with those mumbers, :P it will probably become a Towers myth in a few years. :P

[quote=""WillXav""]I think this project is a small fail. £15 million!

The ride looks well-themed and the coaster layout is short. The track itself looks like it costs £2-3 million and the drop track I guess costs about £4 million.

I would like a break-down of the costs spent I think this project is a small fail. £15 million!

The ride looks well-themed and the coaster layout is short. The track itself looks like it costs £2-3 million and the drop track I guess costs about £4 million.

I would like a break-down of the costs spent :D
[/quote]

Do you realise how much track costs? It probably cost closer to double for the basic track. The drop will have cost a lot more, especially with it being the first example of it and the switch track at the end will have been expensive. Then there is the cost of three trains, the large building, deforestation and all the paths, queus, fences amd so on, the theming for the trains, building, area and so on.
wehttam8002

overall is th13teen a good rollercoaster? Might be going in august.. First ride is going to be TH13TEEN.. What is everyones favourite ride at AT? :]
Elliot

[quote=""wehttam8002""]overall is th13teen a good rollercoaster? Might be going in august.. First ride is going to be TH13TEEN.. What is everyones favourite ride at AT? :][/quote]

I think mine has to be Th13teen, it's so re-ridable, so smooth, so fun, so thrilling, such good theming, great capacity, good layout, great drop and I don't know if anyone else has noticed it but... great smell! ;)
Blaze

[quote=""wehttam8002""]overall is th13teen a good rollercoaster? Might be going in august.. First ride is going to be TH13TEEN.. What is everyones favourite ride at AT? :][/quote]
No it isn't a good coaster...it is an unbe-bloody-leavably good coaster :D
It's no Nemesis, but it is still incredible.

EDIT:
And I have noticed the smell :D Love it :D
Elliot

I can still remember that smell right now and its been nearly two weeks since I rode it, it's the same smell in the station, inside queue and the crypt.
Raz664

[quote=""Blaze""][quote=""wehttam8002""]overall is th13teen a good rollercoaster? Might be going in august.. First ride is going to be TH13TEEN.. What is everyones favourite ride at AT? :][/quote]
No it isn't a good coaster...it is an unbe-bloody-leavably good coaster :D

EDIT:
And I have noticed the smell :D Love it :D[/quote]

hope i agree once ive been on sunday :) - cant wait
i only get to go about twice a year :)
hoping my other time this year is during scarefest
PeteB

All these changes and new additions, yet no one is taking pics!

Shame on you! Shame on you all! :P
bradpeet

[quote=""Blaze""]No it isn't a good coaster...it is an unbe-bloody-leavably good coaster :D

EDIT:

Really? You'll be saying it's better than the hype next!

It's a good family coaster. I'll give it that much. And there is a lot happening. But I certainly would not rave about it - other than as a showcase for special effects and "world's firsts"

I'm still disappointed that Th13teen is what replaced Corkie :(
Blaze

[quote=""bradpeet""][quote=""Blaze""]No it isn't a good coaster...it is an unbe-bloody-leavably good coaster :D

EDIT:

It's a good family coaster. I'll give it that much. And there is a lot happening. But I certainly would not rave about it - other than as a showcase for special effects and "world's firsts"

I'm still disappointed that Th13teen is what replaced Corkie :([/quote]
Well I would rave about it. I believe it is an amazing ride. Just because all the family can ride it does not mean it can't be incredible.

And frankly, anything replacing Corkscrew is an improvement. Yes, it created the park but I'd rather ride a modern coaster than the only ride I have ever found painful and uncomfortable. Corkscrew had to go and to be honest, like Thirteen or not, they could hav edone a lot worse.
Rollercoaster5000

Well a few new pictures have been posted by a member of my Thirteen group (thanks to Jade for posting them) but they don't show any changes (they're the first three pictures) [url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pi ... 9132816784[/url].
gaz1313

Was on park today and Th13teen was closed in the morning. Damn!
Started queuing about 2.30 ish, but a train stopped on the second lh for about 30 minutes, which led to funny scenes where the rides maintenance staff all clambered up the hill to push it into the crypt, succeeding, and followed by cheers from those queuing. :D Ended up on after about 1 and a half hour que, but was well worth it!
The ride is so different, and quicker than I expected. It was just really fun, but I thought the drop could be improved in some way. Even though I knew it was going to happen, I was still pretty jumpy, with all the build up in the station and que line!
I thought some bits of the que line were very last minute, and it definitely needs better drainage as there were at least 3 floods around the trees and on the path. The Alton Towers Van looks really good, with the drag marks and tress across it, and the first mannequin actually made me jump, as it was slightly hidden round the corner. Had a problem with one of the last mannequins though, as it looked like it had been plucked straight from a shop window, complete with pouted lips like a model-not very realistic! :P

Overall, it is something different, something fun, and on a wet day like today, was much more entertaining than Nemesis :!:

Gotta be 10/10!

Also, Realised i rode Th13teen on the Thirteenth day it was open ;)
So I brought the on ride photo :o
Last edited by gaz1313 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SheikhSam

Blaze.. I completely agree with you :D in my opinion, the coaster WAS 'The Ultimate Coaster' and I'd say even more, I was so dissapointed when I heard the feed-back, nothing would have stopped me from going on it though :P
Vik

Listening to the responses of many people who were riding it today, they seemed mostly to be very positive. Good to see much more theming added to the queueline areas, and also on the switchback, though as we used Single Rider all day, didn't get to see a lot of it.

There were a few people working around the ride today. It had some downtime early in the morning, but opened shortly after noon.

I have to give credit to the staff, they work exceptionally well to keep the queue moving and the trains despatching at least every 45 seconds. The baggage area is still holding things up, and on a couple of occasions, with so many people handing bags in, there was no queue in the main building. Single Rider queue also works exceptionally well.

Thirteen is also one of those rides I enjoy just to see and hear the reactions of the people who haven't been on before, similar as to why I like Hex, especially the scallies who say, oh that was rubbish after the coaster bit, then scream like a wuss on the drop and backwards section. :P
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Trixz

[quote=""bradpeet""][quote=""Blaze""]No it isn't a good coaster...it is an unbe-bloody-leavably good coaster :D

EDIT:

I'm still disappointed that Th13teen is what replaced Corkie :([/quote]

Cant agree more! I hate to sound negative but i really dont get how 13 is unbelievable, yes its a good ride but i think to describe it as things like unbelievable, amazing and things along those lines is a bit over the top.
WE ARE ALL WITNESSESS
fredward

we where going to go today, it would of been awesome to ride it the thirteenth day it was open! But my friend didn't want to risk driving up (heard theres been bad weather!), it was closed last friday so I still havn't ridden it, I think i'm going sometime next week though!

It's 3 hours to get to Alton from my house, shows how determined me and my friend are!
DaNnyToWeRs

Hello all!
Ok so I rode it for the first time today, THREE TIMES! And I thought it was absolutely fantastic!
As soon as the first go was over I wanted another go! but went on a few other things first. I've been on the front and back and noticed it has it's differences, At the front you notice the brakes a lot more however you feel the backward pull down when leaving the crypt!, at the back its faster outside but you don't see as much inside the crypt.
I thought both drops caught me out all three times and absolutely loved it, it is such a simple ride but executed brilliantly. Overall prior to today I would have put my favorite rides in the following order: -
Nemesis, Hex, Oblivion and Rita but I would have to say now that Thirteen comes 2nd amongst them for me!
Psychologically it is really intriguing and never has a new ride been so exciting to re-ride for me!
10/10
Elliot

You think three times is lots?

When I went on the opening weekend, I went on it three times on the Saturday, and on the Sunday went on it 14 times, once in the morning but then in the afternoon when it was a walk-on we went on it, ran round back to it over and over for 13 times, that whole running and riding 13 times took less than 100 mins. ;) but I won't be able to go until atleast May-June half term, as I live 4hrs away :)
AstroDan

I rode the ride again today, several times and - judging by rider reaction:

End of Outdoor Section: "That was rubbish"
End of Indoor Section: "That was sick" (as in, good)

Shame the outdoor is so pants. Really, why it is I have no idea. They could have done better.