Th13teen - Ride discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
SheikhSam

[quote=""Islander""]
Also, a couple of people have mentioned that the theming on the final switchback is very good. Bearing in mind that is was non-existent for the GMTV clip, anyone got any pictures? Or could anyone describe it?[/quote]
basicly a gravesite, but theres a POV on youtube, the theming is brill!, credit to OnlineWill,
skip to 1:22
clicky
I did spot this on the GMTV, except only one 'death angel' column was up and no headstones, nor fencing were up
dont look down 2005

Not sure how interested you'll all be, but as I've mentioned before, I am a journalist for Staffordshire University as well as a keen enthusiast!

I've written an article for the uni's news site StaffsLive here [url=http://www.staffs.ac.uk/schools/art_and ... -new-ride/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.staffs.ac.uk/schools/art_and ... -new-ride/[/url]

and my own personal view of yesterday on my blog here > [url=http://chrisbheath.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://chrisbheath.wordpress.com[/url]

Hope u enjoy reading!
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""Maelstrom""]Good news about the throughput, does anyone know who has been how often a train is leaving the station ie every 60 seconds? to get the reported capacity of 1200 a train would need to leave every 60 seconds.
[/quote]

To be honest it feels less than 60 seconds sometimes, the ride is designed so well for throughput they are nearly always ready to send the next train before the other one has got to the second lift hill. There was no queue for it today at some points.

I must add as well the atmospheric ambience around the Dark Forest and in particular the station is brilliant. Creepy voices "If you go down in the woods today" screams, heavy bass cannons in the station to give it a wonderful rumble and of course this tesla coil which is going to create an amazing effect as you queue round the outside of this cage inches away from the electricity will be.

It is easily the best themed attraction at Alton.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
henry96

Wasn't too sure where to post this so I'll just put it here.
I'm heading down to Alton on the 31st of March and was wondering what time to go to thirteen? and also which rides would be better to go on at the beginning etc. I'm going with friends who aren't as much enthusiasts. Help would be appreciated :) :D
Coaster Crazy Alex

Should of posted that in planning trips and reports however i imagine as soon as you get in head for 13.

Post the question [url=http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 7&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25997&start=60[/url] there and you will get a more in depth answer. :)
Massive thanks to adzy for the signature and avatar!
Xbox Live - Blanddak1ller LFD2,FIFA10 and MW2 expert; feel free to add me!
Gax

[quote=""Skumfidus""]I think it's a shame that people are comparing Th13teen to the coaster they built in their heads thanks to the marketing.

Most people seem unable to criticize without mentioning the words 'Ultimate Coaster', 'Psycoaster' etc.

Of course, a few people I can see here comparing Th13teen to this ultimate coaster that has been built up in their minds are also people who have slated the marketing department for bullsh**...but then fall for it themselves.

The thing is, the marketing department are not experience makers, they are there to sell the ride, and get people through the gates. Once guests are inside they aren't 'in their jurisdiction' as it were. The crazy build up probably hasn't been so evident for the average guest, unlike Oblivion Th13teen hasn't been in everyones face 24/7.
[/quote]

I disagree. The substance and the symbol of the product is a vital part of marketing. You're making the misconception that marketing is purely advertising. Marketing doesn't end when you get customers through the door, the product is a part of it, and if it doesn't live up to expectations, then the marketing is flawed.

The reason people are criticizing the ride and "mentioning the words 'Ultimate Coaster', 'Psycoaster' etc." is because this is what we were promised. I was looking forward to being psychologically frightened on this ride. The ride itself looks good, but I'm criticizing because I was excited about an aspect of the ride promised, that doesn't appear to be there.
As many people have said, it looks to be a good roller coaster. I personally believe it looks very good indeed! Its just a bit disappointing that we won't have the full experience promised.
The_Chosen_One

[quote=""Gax""][quote=""Skumfidus""]I think it's a shame that people are comparing Th13teen to the coaster they built in their heads thanks to the marketing.

Most people seem unable to criticize without mentioning the words 'Ultimate Coaster', 'Psycoaster' etc.

Of course, a few people I can see here comparing Th13teen to this ultimate coaster that has been built up in their minds are also people who have slated the marketing department for bullsh**...but then fall for it themselves.

The thing is, the marketing department are not experience makers, they are there to sell the ride, and get people through the gates. Once guests are inside they aren't 'in their jurisdiction' as it were. The crazy build up probably hasn't been so evident for the average guest, unlike Oblivion Th13teen hasn't been in everyones face 24/7.
[/quote]

I disagree. The substance and the symbol of the product is a vital part of marketing. You're making the misconception that marketing is purely advertising. Marketing doesn't end when you get customers through the door, the product is a part of it, and if it doesn't live up to expectations, then the marketing is flawed.

The reason people are criticizing the ride and "mentioning the words 'Ultimate Coaster', 'Psycoaster' etc." is because this is what we were promised. I was looking forward to being psychologically frightened on this ride. The ride itself looks good, but I'm criticizing because I was excited about an aspect of the ride promised, that doesn't appear to be there.
As many people have said, it looks to be a good roller coaster. I personally believe it looks very good indeed! Its just a bit disappointing that we won't have the full experience promised.[/quote]

you cant please everyone. This is the ultimate rollercoaster to some people. Some people arent sad enough to be enthusiasts.
Mi-Nigle

Fist off, amazing! I'd like to shake the hands of everyone involved, they have done a tremendous job! I hope Alton read these forums cause they are getting a hell of a lot of praise! :D

Now I'm sure if I reeled off my appreciations this would be a very long post, so just assume that I love everything else. I think it would be a much much shorter list of I did the bad things (pessimistic I know! sorry) and I'm sure they have all been mentioned numerous times already.

The first thing is the queue length, I can't help but think this will be no where near long enough for the busy summer days. I know the through-put if very fast but even on yesterday's quiet day the queue went up to the end (and from what's I've heard it's only about an hour!) so on busier days, there will be a lot of people not physically in a queue line, I think.

This is just a very minor thing, cattle pens. BUT it is well spread out so it's not nearly as boring to go through than Rita's line. So that's good.

When in the very first part of the inside queue line, there is what seems to be a random cage just plonked in the middle, with it very difficult to see what is inside. Now with a little peek I think I saw a contraption that makes electricity bolts towards the cage. This wasn't working yesterday so I can't say it's fact, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is supposed to do. Can't remember what you call them, but it looked like one of these things... http://www.lightninglab.org/concept/Integratron01.jpg

All in all these are minor things, and Alton have really pulled out all the stops, I'm extremely impressed and they have more than exceeded my expectations so I thank them for that! :D Just everything, the Thi3teen entrance sign, the little grave details in the queue line, the whole Rita re-theme, the rest of the Dark Forest, the well hidden coaster, and of course the actual ride itself is just incredible, and it is definitely now my favourite ride in the park, no questions asked!

---- Post Info Added ----

Just noticed sorry, someone else has mentioned a Tesla coil, the thing in the cage. Glad someone else can back up the theory.
buffaloBen

Do look down posted his link to his article and he took a good picture from the front.

Any one who couldn't see the pictures from earlier or havn't seen them yet you can find them at [url=http://www.thi3teen.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.thi3teen.blogspot.com[/url]

I will be there all next weekend again so if anyone wants a perticular picture taking of any new or rethemed or something they havn't seen yet please ask and i will do my best to take some next weekend.
Anonymous

I think that being fans of coasters and used to the feel of thrill rides, people in this forum are bound to be negatively biased towards Thirteen. Stereotypically, people who really enjoy being thrilled by rides are more likely to also be used to other 'scary' things, such as horror films. I'm saying this because the psycological thrill factor offered by this ride is more than definitely there. A large majority of people fear what this ride offers. To some people, the concept of a rollercaoster is the most terrifying thing they could think of. There is such a diversity in what frightens us, it would be impossible to offer any kind of attraction which scares everyone. What they have done is included a large variety of features to play with the emotion of fear:
1. The themeing. This will be scary to younger audiences, people who are scared of ghosts, etc.
2. The height may be enough to scare some people
3. A lot of people are scared of falling
4. There will be a strong claustrophobic effect within the chamber and also the opposite, wide open spaces on the outer track
5. The dark is an extremely common fear
6. There are fears of noise, I had this when I was little, I could not have coped with the music used in the queue
7. Some people will not feel safe in the ride with the type of safety restraints it offers
8. It's known of people to get scared when a ride slows down as they fear it is breaking

I think that they have really tried to make it a 'psychocoaster', however to the general public rather than fear enthusiasts and adrenaline seekers.

However despite having said this, I expect that when I ride thirteen, I too will be disappointed. Even Oblivion disappointed me when I first rode it, I was expecting more a sensation and for the hanging on moment to feel really tense. It still remains my favourite ride :)
Skumfidus

Of course you are right, but I honestly think the marketing department have done everything required of their role, it is only the promotion that went a little iffy.

Everything correlated except the promotion - the research and development seemed to be along the lines of a family attraction with a great thrill element, but slowly the ride started to be promoted as something beyond that.

One of the explanations that may be a factor is this forum actually. Every mention of the word family prompted a torrent of moans and anger...this forum could be seen as a very condensed opinion leader for the public, and I'm pretty sure the park took note of our reactions.

At this point, the park reaches a critical moment, with three options ->

1. Change the product to meet the needs of the public, needs that seem to have changed since the research a couple of years ago.

2. Continue on the route of an 'all-round family adventure' and hope for the best

3. Adapt the promotion, and thus peoples expectations of the product, in the hope the product will actually scrape through and fulfil these new expectations.

The park evidently went for option 3, and according to some, have failed. Option 1 was impossible, and Option 2 would be hard to justify with all the upset it was causing the hundreds of people on here (probably the parks only source of feedback).

In short, it was either the product or the promotion that had to change in order to ignite excitement with the thrill-seeking public...they went with the promotion.

Again all this promotion wasn't actually that much, so the majority of people probably don't have the idea that this ride was billed as 'The Ultimate Coaster'...it just seems to us as a phrase used everywhere because we live here, on TTF.
NickT04

I really enjoyed the ride, the "coaster" section is a bit tame, but as soon as you say "thrill" to me I instantly think Nemesis 2 so perhaps I'm being a tad unfair.

The only issue I had was I wanted a picture of my first ride, by the time I had queued up to get my bag from the baggage hold, and got to the photo point, my photo had gone!

From now on it'll be a case of, ride, check photo then get bag!
buffaloBen

[quote=""Skumfidus""] I'm pretty sure the park took note of our reactions.[/quote]

During the afternoon there was member of towers staff standing by the thirteen exit.
He had a little device and asked if you could do a short questionaire about the ride.
He asked things like:

What would you rate the themeing?
What did you think of the indoor drop?
What did you think about the outdoor coaster?
How long did you que?
Where did you hear about it?
Is thirteen the reason you came today?
What did you think of the effects inside?

He sometimes asked for a rating out of 10 in most questions.
I hope this leads to improvement. [-o<
Mi-Nigle

Oh NickT04 you've just reminded me of something else...

Who else missed that chuffing step walking up to the photo booths?

Definitely a sign needed there!
NickT04

[quote=""Mi-Nigle""]Oh NickT04 you've just reminded me of something else...

Who else missed that chuffing step walking up to the photo booths?

Definitely a sign needed there![/quote]

Don't mention that, it provides a great form of queueline entertainment! :P

Me and my mate definately don't recall it being there in the morning! Also I thought some of the drainage around the exit of Th13teen and under neath Rita's start was pretty bad.
Last edited by NickT04 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gax

Skumfidus, I agree with you to an extent.

I think the problem may have been through a lack of communication between departments. The style of the promotional material for the ride changed about 4 times!
This image for example:
is entirely different from how the adverts ended up.

I'm basically saying I don't think marketing did a very good job, and this has been proved by how many people (not just on TTF, on facebook etc. aswell) have been left disappointed by the final ride.

I also must say I really like the look of the ride, and I look forward to experiencing it for myself. As TTF'ers we are always going to be critical, its in our nature ;)
SheikhSam

oo :P I'm a sucker for the bass cannons, if they're anything like the Vampire's used to be.. then I think we have a winner :D..besides what exactly did happen to the cannons in the station, they were up there last time, but not on :( hopefully they're not another victim of 'DUST SYNDROME' :(
Trixz

[quote=""Gax""]What I want to know is where are the psychological aspects of the ride we were promised?
As far as I can see the only real thing is the smaller 'teaser' freefall drop before the bigger one, but that would hardly take the "world's leading thrill consultants" to accomplish. I can't personally see where this whole 'phsycoaster' thing comes into the mix..[/quote]

Nah i didnt really find 13 intimidating in anyway, i think ALton have made a huge mistake in marketing and i think the hype machine has bigged a "family coaster" up way too much, still a good ride but by no means on the secret weapon standard that we expect!
Sorry for sounding negative
WE ARE ALL WITNESSESS
buffaloBen

For anyone who hasn't seen the TH13TEEN onride photo here you are :D
This is from the celebrity evening on friday 19th.

Kaz

A number of people including Spike have talked of how more themeing is yet to be added, is this confirmed or just hope?