The Beastie's Last Season!

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Blaze

Has this actually been confirmed? Or are we just going off what one person said? I think we should wait for official news from the park before treating this as fact. How many times have we heard rumours of ride closures that turned out false before. I wouldn't expect an anouncement now, before the season even starts. Corkscrew was only anounced to be closing 5 weeks before it did, and that was a much bigger closure than if Beastie is going.
seanyboyuk

I think the area needs a good flat to compliment the new retheme. They could easily re package that area and call it either sonic land or sega land.
chrismci

[quote=""Johno""]I hope we see an 'Enchanted Wood' styled area. Could work really well with talking trees etc,[/quote]

That's an interesting idea - "Enchanted Wood" the flipside to the Dark Forest...
AstroDan

I was thinking on the Mack Youngstar idea - the problem I think would be space... :(

As much as such a coaster would be a brilliant replacement - I think that the size of them would put the buffers on the idea.

Perhaps something along the lines of Drayton's Troublesome Trucks (Gerstlauer Junior Coaster) would be more appropriate. They could remove the old Ice Tent and have a small scale coaster weaving through a small garden etc with some cute theming and the like!

Either way, something better and more custom than Beastie is needed - something that actually has some sort of theme rather than Beastie which is SO out of date!

:D
Ritadz

I know what they should do forget about a new kids coaster in that area (put new one in CCL) and put in a fun but thrilling flat ride. It would work because spinball is fun and thrilling this what i think should be moved and re themed.
[spoiler:1cdhyg89]Image[/spoiler:1cdhyg89]

Inevitably though this would mean that like energizer it would have to be "tamed down" to be a bit more "family" :roll:

Still that could mean a really great flat in FV like this one:
[spoiler:1cdhyg89]Image[/spoiler:1cdhyg89]
AstroDan

Slammer? Great? Are you kidding me? That thing has an atrocious reliability record, and a diabolical capacity and requiring 3 or 4 staff! In addition, thrill rides by the main entrance would be an awful mistake and completely ruin the way Squirrel Nutty is even further. Imagine the queue's at the start of the day and what a major thrill flat would look like next to a Spinning Coaster and gentle monorail ride like Squirrel Nutty!

It's a family/kids area and Beastie should be replaced with a Junior Coaster on the scale of Troublesome Trucks, WMSP's Rhino (think Tami Tami at PortAventura, too) or indeed if scale permits, a YoungStar from Mack (i.e. Pegasus at Europa-Park).

:)
fatpete

Think he wanted ripsaw to go there, and skyswat to replace ripsaw.

However, I still agree with what you say, regardless of what thrill ride would be moved there!
joshc807

The problem with Alton Towers is that it cant have some Flat rides because of height restrictions, so even though Slammer would be great it would be too high :cry:
Coaster Crazy Alex

^Agreed and correct. How about a intamin ball coaster http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32 in for the beastie and the ice tent will hold an awesome Mack indoor youngster. :D
Massive thanks to adzy for the signature and avatar!
Xbox Live - Blanddak1ller LFD2,FIFA10 and MW2 expert; feel free to add me!
Oblivion_

[quote=""damos1""][quote=""Blaze""]NOOOOO!

For what it is, The Beastie is great and it is (can't believe I am saying this) a very lovable ride. It has a soul and a big personality. Also, for a kiddie coaster, it is rather good, I actually found myself enjoying it! :lol:

But it is old, and the MACK Young Star is being raved about, so mayb eit is time to move on.[/quote]

I do not care if it is a kids ride, I still like going on them :D my little sister will be devastated when she hears about this, it is the only type of coaster she will go on and the flying fish eg buffalo train style, she is now tall enough for all rollercoasters as well I for 2 will miss the beastie but yes it is outdated hopefully replaced with a new coaster she will like.

As for staff secrets I do not think they would mind to much with this one leaking out but I am sure there will be a few out there who decide to say I am no longer going now they have took that away :evil: (no this is not my own thinking I am just second guessing a few people)

---- Post Info Added ----

[quote=""ShadowTD""]This is the perfect time to utilise the well themed entrance to the tent and put a bit of life back in to Storybook land. Decent dark ride/coaster for the nippers in the Ice Show tent please!

The Beastie footprint can be used for a small childrens flat. Something a bit more hardcore than the Frog Hopper, but less scary for nippers than a Waveswinger. Any suggestions?[/quote]

I would like to see a return of that ice show please :D cry little sister best theme ever played on ice/trance[/quote]

Honestly, nobody will refuse to go to AT because The Beastie is being taken away. The Corkscrew has had a much bigger impact on people, and I haven't heard of anyone who has refused to come to the park because of its removal. It's all because that AT will like to improve on their old rides, and make them better. It would have to go eventually.

Even if about 2 people decide not to come, its only a small bit of money lost.
Confirmed \'09:

Alton Towers, April 7th
Thorpe Park, Summer
Alton Towers, Scarefest

Unconfirmed \'09:

Wicksteed Park (D:)
Chessington, WoA
BigAl

What a way to spoil the day. Aww, the Beastie was such a legend. On its last day everyone should go to Alton Towers to salute him and have a ride one last time (if this is true).

I wonder what they'll do with it? Will they sell it? Will they scrap it? Will they give it away? Will they store it?

I'll let my friends know if this is confirmed by Alton Towers as we all loved the Beastie. We were all going to go on it last week but we never got around to it before the park closed. This will be our mission!
Blaze

Woah, woah , woah, it isn't confirmed by the park, so I wouldn't get too worried. The park needs a kiddie coaster, and Beastie still works fine. You can't do better without going bigger and getting something like a YoungStar.

Until the park say anything, I won't believe it.
BigAl

I know it hasn't been confirmed yet but we must plan his funeral. I hate to say it but I don't think our Super Dragon will be with us much longer anyway.

I think the Beastie should be moved to Cloud Cukoo land and be repainted (if not the same colours) as I think it would suit that area better. That leaves space for a new coaster in Adventure Land. I can't remember the last time it broke down and there's always a little queue for it so it'd be a bit daft to get rid of it. The target audience for the Beastie don't really care how old and 'outdated' it is anyway. I certainly didn't when I was little and neither do my friends little brothers and sisters and what not. It always gives its riders a good time and a laugh. Perhaps they could reopen Coaster Corner and put the Beastie there along with a new ride and a sweet shop (Alton Towers never replaced the Cadburys shop). Just ideas though.
Blaze

I don't care how outdated it is :D

If they moved it to CCL and put a new coaster there, it would have to be something similar, thrill rides don't go by the entrance, and it would be easily visible there aswell. A good idea is Coaster Corner, Beastie is hardly noisy and when the majority of riders are little kids (and sad enthusiasts like us :P ), noise wont be increased much, and a sweet shop is a 'sweet' idea :lol:

It should have a full viking funeral and have full millitary honors, and a press release saying it is being recycled for the new SW, only for it to turn out to be a lie :lol:
BigAl

We aren't sad, everyone loves the Beastie (come on, admit it people) :lol:
I was quite angry when I found out the Cadburys store wasn't replaced as I always bought some chocolate to take around with me.

Okay, we need Alton Towers to keep the Beastie in Cloud Cukoo land in an extension into Coaster Corner and have a new sweet shop and another kiddies flat ride (like the ones I mentioned in another thread which was also about the Beastie). Then as a replacement in Adventure Land, a Mack or Vekoma Junior or Family Coaster. SORTED!
NF2

Guys, let's not forget the Beastie is a VERY old, off the shelf Pinfari that can't stand up to both the rest of ATs rides and kiddie coasters elsewhere in the UK. It's the sort of yhng that would be outdated at my local seaside park never mind Alton Towers, and could only really go backwards with a go gator or Big Apple.

I know it's ATs oldest coaster with some nostalgic charm, but it has no theme, is unremarkable as a kids ride, and just looks old and dated compared to Sonic next to it. Kids rides deserve just as much attention as the bigger coasters they support, and Beastie just doesn't live up. You know it's bad when Drayton down the road are completely trouncing it with Troublesome Trucks.

Come on Alton, you scrapped the Corkscrew, now put in a kids ride you can be proud of! Face it, 30 year old Pinfaris sadly can't be classed as the main family coaster in what is supposedly the top park in the UK. Even independents can do better than that!
BigAl

NOOO... the lies :shock:
I'm not listening, lalalalalaa... :P

I'd quite happily take him off their hands (for free :lol: ). Does anyone have a big garden we could stick him in? :D
.Will

I have lost all faith in everything now, and well I think that the Beastie held the last little bit of Alton Towers magic now that its going we have nothing ...

:P

Yay, MACK Youngstar
Gloomy Dude

Did I miss a memo guys? Has this been confirmed by the park yet?
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
Blaze

It's not confirmed guys, please stop acting like it is. Will, a MACK YoungStar is too big, Troublesome Trucks may even be slightly too big for Beastie, although I would be over the moon if Towers got the same model as it. I adore the Beastie, it's great fun, and nice and violent, it's magical. It isn't the best, it isn't slightly modern, but does it have to be? It's only a kiddie coaster, and it is perfect for the job. It hasn't put a foot wrong all it's life and is probably the most reliable ride on park. It never breakes down, it just goes and goes and goes. It's got character and soul. It makes people laugh. I will be very sad when it goes. Fortunately, as of now, it isn't going anywhere, I don't know why this topic has came back up again.