Alton Towers Proposal

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
fishdalf

I'm thinking of proposing to my girlfriend this Summer and one of the ideas I had was to take her for a romantic weekend at Alton Towers. Where do you think would be the best place to ask her if I was to do so in your opinion? At the hotel if we stayed a night? On a ride of some sort? Do you have any experiences of doing it yourself? Or just have any brainstorms that many help me out?

All help/discussion appreciated. :D
DiogoJ42

Nice idea. There really is only one place to do it: on the brink of Oblivion! As you approach the holding break, take her hand. Then as you start to tip, look her in the eye and ask her. You wont have time for a long speech, so make sure it's quick and to the point. If you time it right, it could go something like this:

YOU: Darling, I love you. Will you marry me?
GF: Wha--? [and then you drop!] :P

Wait till you hit the breaks, give it a beat, then turn and ask

YOU: Well? Will you?

:D

As someone who proposed in a public place myself (Leicester Square), I would advise you to make sure other people can hear you. It makes it more obvious you are serious. :lol: You don't want her to think you are taking the p1ss!

Bloody good luck mate! :mrgreen:
fishdalf

Haha I like that idea. I could have the ring in my pocket, and when we brake I could present her with it. Although probably a little difficult to put it on in the carriage. 8)

I'm not so sure about doing it too loud though, she can get a little shy and that probably wouldn't go down well.

EDIT: But at least we'd have a photograph of the moment!. =D
mezza

[quote=""Diogoj42""]Nice idea. There really is only one place to do it: on the brink of Oblivion! As you approach the holding break, take her hand. Then as you start to tip, look her in the eye and ask her. You wont have time for a long speech, so make sure it's quick and to the point. If you time it right, it could go something like this:

YOU: Darling, I love you. Will you marry me?
GF: Wha--? [and then you drop!] :P

Wait till you hit the breaks, give it a beat, then turn and ask

YOU: Well? Will you?

:D

As someone who proposed in a public place myself (Leicester Square), I would advise you to make sure other people can hear you. It makes it more obvious you are serious. :lol: You don't want her to think you are taking the p1ss!

Bloody good luck mate! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Although the problem with this is she might forever associate marrying you with disappearing into a dark, scary place. Not neccessarily a good thing. Equally, you might want to give proposing on Thirteen a miss too...

Maybe The Towers themselves would be a good place to propose? Right up on the roof, it's often pretty quiet and you get great views over the park.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Lorenashley

Thats such a great idea! I would have loved my fella to have done that!
I like the towers idea, that would be lovely, theres also the skyride ( if its open) You could ask her while travelling over the gardens.

xx
FallenAbyss

You could even take a walk into the gardens down to the Pagoda fountain ... it's pretty magical and special down there so i'd imagine the perfect setting for a proposal ... it's also quite peaceful down there with few guests around there as i'd imagine it being better without the hussle and bustle.

Hope that helps ... good luck !
ThrillJunkie

I think it's a really good idea but think where depends on her.

If she's a thrill nut and loves rides then do it while on a ride but if she's no i think it would be best to do it on a tame ride or somewhere in the park.

my suggestions:

Thrill Nut: Air lift hill/break run, Rita station (just before launch), Submission (while hanging upside down)

Not A Nut: Gardens, Towers, Cable Cars, Monorail, Squirrel Nutty ride
ThrillJunkieUK
nickn5

Great idea!

For impact I'd (along with the Oblivion idea which is fantastic) also suggest going on RMT (front seat) popping the question JUST as you enter the tunnel at high speed alongside the Rapids, which normally is the most exciting part of the ride, and her scream of delight (hopefully) will echo nicely... :D

Personally I'd go with the Towers/Gardens though:

The Corkscrew Fountain, great views from there:

In front of the Conservatory, with view of the Towers:

Or sitting here, near the Conservatory:

Lorenashley

The Corkscrew Fountain, great views from there:

Why have I never seen this?! :shock:
ShadowTD

I distinctly remember the now MrsTD telling me that any proposal at Towers would be met with a resounding 'get bent'.

Instead, I did it on Christmas Day in front of all of her family. :)
DiogoJ42

[quote=""fishdalf""] I could have the ring in my pocket, and when we brake I could present her with it.[/quote]
Just make sure the pocket you keep it in has a zip!
Kaz

For impact I'd (along with the Oblivion idea which is fantastic) also suggest going on RMT (front seat) popping the question JUST as you enter the tunnel at high speed alongside the Rapids, which normally is the most exciting part of the ride, and her scream of delight (hopefully) will echo nicely..
I think thats very cheesy tbh. I would go for somewhere a bit more 'special' and beautiful; so perhaps in a romantic part of the gardens or at the top of the towers themselves. Im sure alton would be more than happy to help make some special arrangements.
Gloomy Dude

I can think of plenty great places to do it.

The gardens would be an obvious answer. Pretty hack though. There are plenty similar places in the world you could propose. Also, I wouldn't personally go for any of the thrill rides, unless it's one that she, or neither of you has been on. For example, if you're used to Rita, or Nemesis, they won't be a shock. You know what to expect, meaning an individual ride on an otherwise normal day is unlikely to hold an significance.

So, my proper picks would be...

1. Top of Towers Street, just through the turnstiles, start of the day. Get the proposal in early in the day and then enjoy your day at Alton through a haze of matrimonial bliss :) Added bonus of lovely views of the lake and Towers. Off peak day recommended.

2. On the Flume, between drops 1 and 2. One of the best ride options (assuming it's just the 2 of you). You're not restrained, so you have full movement for ring placing and the inevitable outpouring of emotion, and also it gives you plenty of time, so there's no rushing and almost zero danger of losing/dropping the ring. Plus, the isolation of the woods would be super romantic. Top it all off with a blissed out, lovey-dovey on-ride photo and have it framed for the grand kids :)

3. Somehow, get a Runaway Mine Train Operator to do it for you just before the ride sets off. Actually, I'm a genius! Don't steal this one! This one is mine :D (despite that fact Meg will read this :P )
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
DiogoJ42

LOL! I can see it now:

RIDE OP: ...please put all bags and cameras awaaaaaaaaay. Oh, and will [her name] mary [your name]?

GF: yes!

RIDE OP: Choooo choooooo! Oh yeah!

:lol:
[Archive]

[quote=""Lorenashley""]The Corkscrew Fountain, great views from there:

Why have I never seen this?! :shock:[/quote]The Screw Fountain is a lovely, old water feature near the Conservatories in the Gardens. It is operated by rainfall and was built as part of the big renovations when the Towers still had occupants. It is in no way related to the Corkscrew rollercoaster if that was what you were thinking; the name simply comes from its shape. :)
Last edited by [Archive] on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly

Deleted
Last edited by Kelly on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickT04

Get out now, while you can! :P
Voni86

I was going to say the ATH pagoda too. It's really lovely there. I'd do it night when they have the lights on.
Skumfidus

Agree with the ATH Pagoda, probably the most romantic place on the resort at night time!
jomo1993

Theres an absolutely beautiful place in the gardens with great views, which i think would be a fabulous place to propose. Im not sure what the monument/statue is called, but if you just go to the fv skyride station, and walk along the path which is between mutiny bay,, and forbidden valley. Just before you go down some steps to the lake (where there is always loads of massive fish) there is a white monument on your left, with some stunning views behind, of the towers and gardens.

Also, propose to her on the skyride above the gardens if you want to do it infront of people, but your afraid she might be a bit shy, as thered only be a maximum of 10 people.
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS