2010 Park Map

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Nightfall

Every year the park has added a major new attraction (Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, Rita) the park map has dramatically change. I don't just mean the addition of a new ride but the way the resort has been presented.

If you don't believe me have a look:
Old Park Maps

Does anyone think the 2010 park map will have a new design?
(The current one has only been used for the last 2 years).

I like the Alton Towers "Resort" park map (my name for Merlin 2008-9 versions) but couldn’t help noticing that the resent Scarefest map had large icons that with the introduction of SW6 could start to get a bit cluttered.

Edit: This topic should probably go into the "Futures" forum but we are almost in 2010 anyway. Feel free to move it.
Last edited by Nightfall on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Anonymous

Personally i think they will change the park map for 2010. to fit in with sw6 and ug land re-theme if there is one
Wes

I personally think the style at the moment is their best yet! Can't really see it changing a huge deal next year atall - especially after park-wide branding came with the map so that everything fits.
Evostance

I quite like this years, however I feel its a bit too cluttered with text.

I always think the Americans do the best job with park maps.

They just label things with numbers and put the info around the map. That way you can actually see the map xD

Big Dave

Alton Towers did this in the past and ended up adding labels to everything making the park maps very cluttered. I think that as long as they have the ride names on and the basics thats all you need. Further details about thing can be added onto the back of the map.
XIIIDom

As long as its not those awful blocky -cartoon things again... [-o<
James

[quote=""Evostance""]I quite like this years, however I feel its a bit too cluttered with text.

I always think the Americans do the best job with park maps.

They just label things with numbers and put the info around the map. That way you can actually see the map xD
[/quote]

I disagree, with Park Maps that number everything then put there info around the map I find it harder to find out the name of the attraction, shops, restaurants etc. It just makes it harder to be looking around the map at all these numbers trying to find out all the info. I think it makes the map look cluttered aswell.

I can't see the map changing that much. It's the best map Alton have done IMO, and I don't think there would be any need to have a complete re-design of the map.

:)
CoasterCrazyChris

I would like to see a return to style similar to that of the 1998-2004 style maps, as I believe they were the best. You can't navigate with the latest ones properly and they make attractions like Oblivion and X-Sector look like a joke.

:)
Nightfall

I agree the current map is one of the best, although i have seen people get lost while using it. It's certainly a lot better than "block land" (Alton is the least blocky park i can think of).

It would be nice to get a park map with air actually looking like a flying coaster as it seems to vary between 4D, hanging and (?) on the other designs.

The 2004 map lead me into the gardens.
MPDarby

I do like the current map and as it's not been around for too long I can't see AT changing it too much. I would like them to remove the stupid tick list thing they have on the back (can't think what it's called right now but i'm sure you all know what I mean) and revert back to having silly games on them and other slightly more fun information.
Thanks for riding the Runaway Minetrain, we hope you enjoyed your trip. Choo! Choo!
SEALIFE

I agree also I like the maps that have been published for the 08-09 season and do hope to see the return off them for 2010 season I would like to see a few minor changes though about the information ect given also off topic did anyone spot ringo and snorlex on the map on the back theres a game thing and you have to look for them :P
Jon

With big new rides bring new waves of guests and further exposure for the park, making it an excellent opportunity to rebrand and update themselves. SW6 will differ in that it is being built within the frame of a new marketing strategy already made, first used properly at the beginning of the 2008 season. While, of course, marketing ploys come and go, this one has been made with forward thinking and has the kind of staying power that the "magic" had. I doubt we will see any major media changes anywhere, possibly a website change as they are quite hot on the heels with that.
Formerly "Dagoo"
oldgitBEN

I like the current park map the only alteration I'd like to see is the hotels/water park and golf put on the opposite side (say half the page) so the park map is bigger and they get the space they deserve.
Gloomy Dude

I think the current park map is very nice and a good template to work from for the new one. As long as it is nothing like the 2005-2007 stinkers, I'll be happy.
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
Khanage

It's true. The current map is pretty good I can't really see them changing it just yet. I think it will remain the same for 2010.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

haydn!

Each park map design has typically hung around for 3 seasons, I think we'll just see a modified version of the same design.

It would be a shame to loose this design, it is the best yet!
themealgang

I would really like to see a change in the design of map next year to fit with the arrival of SW6. To be honest, I thought the 2008/09 map design looks awful and reminded me very much of a comic strip! I would like to see the "cartoon" feel gone with next years map and make it have a more "Adult" feel. I think the 2003/04 maps are Alton Towers' best.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
[Archive]

I strongly disagree. The maps you mention were awful, with generic blobs representing rides, shoved together with huge logos. I am a big supporter of the current maps, as they have a great look about them, making the theme park look exciting, mysterious and fun where it needs to be. Even though they are too large. The rides are depicted brilliantly, each with its own theme clearly expressed. To cut the maps short after only two years when they are doing so well just because a new ride is coming sounds pointless. Imagine how SW6 could be represented in this map's style.

Also, background/skyline seems to be changing slightly each year, which in a way gives the map a different style anyway. In 2008 it was the sun and blue sky, in 2009 a sunset and clouds. Next year it should be that moment of dusk when the sky lights up purple.
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""electricBlll""]I strongly disagree. The maps you mention were awful, with generic blobs representing rides, shoved together with huge logos. I am a big supporter of the current maps, as they have a great look about them, making the theme park look exciting, mysterious and fun where it needs to be. Even though they are too large. The rides are depicted brilliantly, each with its own theme clearly expressed. To cut the maps short after only two years when they are doing so well just because a new ride is coming sounds pointless. Imagine how SW6 could be represented in this map's style.

Also, background/skyline seems to be changing slightly each year, which in a way gives the map a different style anyway. In 2008 it was the sun and blue sky, in 2009 a sunset and clouds. Next year it should be that moment of dusk when the sky lights up purple.
[/quote]

Well the new maps don't flatter Forbidden Valley or X-Sector at all...if fact the whole map only looks good from a distance. Bring back ride logos please...
Nightfall

[quote=""electricBlll""]Also, background/skyline seems to be changing slightly each year, which in a way gives the map a different style anyway. In 2008 it was the sun and blue sky, in 2009 a sunset and clouds. Next year it should be that moment of dusk when the sky lights up purple.[/quote]
If you look at the scarefest map last years was orange path and now it's green. it took me ages to notice that until I put them side by side.

I’m glad they now show the rides theme now as without the station done properly air never really felt "airy". The same with oblivion and if you look really close you can see the logo. Would like it if the logos were on there and maybe slightly less cartoony like the really old maps (possibly the 1990 map as long as it feels modern). Why do they need so much of the map taken up by the hotels? Couldn’t they just put a slightly smaller advert over their place?