Scarefest: 16-31 October 2010 [NO SPOILERS]

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Craig

Well since the event has now kicked off, let's keep this to non spoiler discussion only please. Here's a rundown of Scarefest topics:

Non Spoiler discussion for Scarefest 2010

Scarefest 2010 discussion with spoilers

Scarefest 2010 reviews - Spoilers are permitted in this topic!
Jollylee11

Does that mean i have to Edit mine :D
Squiggles

I've just done the first photo update to TowersTimes for the Scarefest 2010.

We have a few photos of the preparations for you, including a rather nice sequence of Trick Or Treat Doors being installed yesterday.

I've also updated the information for the Halloween Shows at the hotels. Rather then the originally announced line ups, this year you can enjoy Patch's Pumpkin Party at the Splash Landing Hotel, whilst Darwin the Dodo is getting on the spooktacular action at the Alton Towers Hotel (or should I say Witches' Haunt Inn), as a troupe of witches join him for his Rock The Boat show.

Also, look out for the brand new vocal show for this year, the wonderfully named A-Band-On-Ship. I caught a bit of the show yesterday and it is looking everso good.

Rest assured that's only the tip of the iceberg and much much more will be coming very soon.
Edwardo..... move me!
henry96

Okay, I'm going in half term hopefully and I was wondering, I've been to scarefest several times before but never in any of the mazes, because the queue for ToT never seemed worth it. Would like to know people's opinion on whether I should just queue for Tot or pay a little extra for Carnival of Screams of the Boiler House. (Wouldn't really mind spending extra) Also, which one of the paid mazes is better/ scarier? Thanks. :)
Pennywise

From what I'm hearing all 3 mazes are fantastic this year, but the general opinion seems to be TOTT > Boiler house > Carnival.

TOTT queue is worth it, definitely, just join 10 minutes or so prior to opening, and you'll get on within 10 minutes of the maze opening. So 20 minute queue... which is very much worth it.

Alternatively you could get Fastrack for TOTT (costs the same as getting into 1 of the other 2 mazes, I think).

:)
[Archive]

Last year, I felt that Terror of the Towers was well worth the really long queue that it gets. However, queueing in the dark made the wait so much more bearable, because the atmosphere standing in those gardens, surrounded by the Towers, with the music and pulsing lights was fantastic. It will be even better this year now that they have those extra light effects on the grass.

Firstly, TOTT is a great maze because of its quality. If you do not know what to expect, you are kept on your toes throughout. There are very little dead spots, and the actors last year were very good. Also, it is very long - more than ten minutes! There are so many scenes and each section has its own scares and character about it, with some pretty clever effects. I felt that I had been going on for so long that I was truly lost deep in the Towers. It never seems to end; it keeps going and gets better and better.

If it is anything like last year when I visited, you will feel it is worth the wait. :hsmug:

The resort mazes, however, are a lot shorter and arguably less intense/scary. Personally I found the Boiler House very fun last year and in my opinion the scariest of the lot. Carnival of Screams has received very good reviews so far and looks impressive from the exterior photos I have seen. Apparently, though, it focuses a lot less on scares and more on the bizarre.

The new price this year is questionable, but if you do pay you will not be disappointed. However, now that Field of 1000 Screams has been replaced (which was lacking in scares last year) they may be well worth the price after all.

:hlol:
Terra

Does anyone else think that a zombie-themed dance troupe would go down amazingly well at Scarefest? Something along these lines:

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]

Would be amazing, and could be in the Gloomy Wood area?
Vik

After just getting back from a weekend at Towers, I shall give a brief overview of my opinions on this years Scarefest and the mazes.

The park is looking great this year, they have really gone to town with all the coloured lighting around the park and some of the rides. The only downers are the huge floodlight that envelopes Dark Forest in light (note the irony there :!: ), and also X Sector. Thirteen queueline is very good though, being well out of the way of the main floodlit area.

Towers street is awash with theming, and although it may be lacking elsewhere, once darkness falls, the whole park is given a complete transformation thanks to all the lighting, and there is a fantastic atmosphere.

For the mazes, Terror of the Tower is much the same as last year. On my first trip through yesterday I thought the first 1/2 was rather poor, with the actors there giving 1/2 hearted scares, the ending though was great. Today, now things have settled in to a routine a bit and the actors have settled in, it felt much better. Great atmosphere inside the mazes, and the ending scenes certainly help push it towards being the better of this years 3 mazes.

Boiler House, though much better than last year, I felt was the poorest of the 3 again. A couple more actors, and a few more scares, but the ending was really poor. another, "Oh we're outside again, is that it?"

Carnival Of Screams. The highlight was probably to see John Wardley in the first room introducing the maze, though I would imagine that was purely a one off for that evening, so don't everyone get their hopes up that he will be there on a daily basis :P )

The most bizarre maze, the first scene is just freaky. You know what will happen, but you think, for reasons better suited to the spoiler topic, that it can't. The whole maze was just, well, weird and freaky, but was really enjoyable. Has a great ending scene, which took many by surprise.

Skelvins Adventure, which is this years answer to Duel Live, had been derided by a few as being rubbish. I thought it to be really good though. The initial video playing in the queueline is quite bad and over intrusive, which didn't really get things off to the greatest of starts.

The ride itself was fine. Nice soundtrack, with plenty of actors. Even though we would know where they are most likely to be, and things that are different from normal Duel, most people wouldn't, so any sudden movement from something that appears to be a static prop would no doubt scare. Even so, a couple took us by surprise.

Overall, this is looking to be a great Scarefest. If the first weekend can be as good as I found it to be (and normally the first weekend in previous years has been noted as being rather poor), then things can only get better.

Well done Alton Towers
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

UnleashedLlama

Hi folks. :hgrin: I'm heading to Scarefest this Thursday, but I won't be getting there until the afternoon. Does anyone know how long the queue for TOTT has been getting?

Also, is fast track available for TOTT and, if so, how limited it is?

Cheers peeps :hinsane:
New for 2011]
Pennywise

Fastrack is available for TOTT, I'm not sure on the pricing or availability though. :)

Apparently the park has been a bit of a chav-fest during Scarefest so far, can anybody who's been let me know just for chav ridden the place was at the weekend?
Larnica

If anyone could shed some more light on the fast track for TOTT that would be awesome :)
Dean

[quote=""Larnica""]If anyone could shed some more light on the fast track for TOTT that would be awesome :)[/quote]

£5 for TOTT fastrack...
Voke

As soon as the Maze is open on the Thursday (12-00pm) you can expect roughly 15-20 minute queues as people queue up outside the entrance, and it only grows throughout the day, I would recommend going the earliest you can. (I saw the queue at 80 minutes at roughly 8-30pm)

There was quite alot of Chav's on park on the Saturday, saw quite a few spitting and smoking and just generally being stupid in the TOTT queue-line, with them complaining every 5 minutes, asking how long the queue is.

There certainly is a Fast-Track and it's £5, but it's limited avaibility and you have to choose a time to suit you. The entrance is the steps right next to the briefing room.
Larnica

Thanks guys :)

I'll make sure I get to the park around opening time or as close as I can to make sure I can get a pair :)

Did you guys buy them? Any idea if I can book them in advance?
NickT04

[quote=""Air Dan""]Fastrack is available for TOTT, I'm not sure on the pricing or availability though. :)

Apparently the park has been a bit of a chav-fest during Scarefest so far, can anybody who's been let me know just for chav ridden the place was at the weekend?[/quote]

I'd say pikeys rather than Chav in fairness. Never seen a group of people so ignorant of queue jumping or treating someone elses property so badly.
henry96

Thanks electricbill & airdan. :)
Think I'll just get fast track instead of paying for the mazes. :)
Pennywise

Anybody go yesterday? I want an idea of how busy it'll be tomorrow (going to pop down in the evening only so if the queues are horrendous it won't really be worth bothering).

:)
samx57

[quote=""NickT04""][quote=""Air Dan""]Fastrack is available for TOTT, I'm not sure on the pricing or availability though. :)

Apparently the park has been a bit of a chav-fest during Scarefest so far, can anybody who's been let me know just for chav ridden the place was at the weekend?[/quote]

I'd say pikeys rather than Chav in fairness. Never seen a group of people so ignorant of queue jumping or treating someone elses property so badly.[/quote]

id say pikeys aswell but that was on the weekend monday was fine :D

---- Post Info Added ----

[quote=""Air Dan""]Anybody go yesterday? I want an idea of how busy it'll be tomorrow (going to pop down in the evening only so if the queues are horrendous it won't really be worth bothering).

:)[/quote]

Was on park on Monday queue times for rides were no more than 30 mins and the TOTT was only about 30 minutes aswell
buffaloBen

The park on Monday was 0 minutes for everything besides TOTT and TH13TEEN which were still short so make the most of this week before the weekend half term hits.

The opening weekend was not full of chavs and i was there saturday and sunday as i stayed at the hotel, however it was filled Pikies and gypsies. (which made the day more unpleasant).

It was in the paper this morning and many staff have also mentioned these disgraceful incidents caused by those animals.

Actors assaulted ( One thirteen after dark actor was majorly assaulted resulting in a trip to hospital)
Large group fights (Hotels and park)
Large amounts of theft
Damage to some of the mazes
Verbal abuse
Misuse of the arcades and games
Plenty of que jumping

There were some serious issues in terms of security.

Anyway it was not a chavfest at all but now the gypsies have gone, all is well.
There will always be chavs but just because there wearing trackies does not mean there rude and violent like most of the guest were like on sunday. (gypsies)

Anyway most of this week will not be busy so it is the best time to go up untill the weekend that is.
Anonymous

Hex: Live is returning on 30th & 31st october 2010 according to ride staff! (5pm-9pm)

If last year is anything to go by it will be brilliant , I can't wait @ all eeeekkkk

Excited or what! I went on it last year and it was really good . :clap: well done Alton Towers a great addition again to Scarefest!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.