Scarefest: 16-31 October 2010 [NO SPOILERS]

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
ciaran

The event looks spectacular this year but its a shame to see no duel or hex live this year, alton shows it does not need thorpe parks 5 mazes to its self justice all it needs is terror of the towers to thrash them all put together! I would love to join this year but can't I hope you all review it for me! :) I want to know all!
James

Fantastic effort by Alton this year. One thing I've always missed about these type of events is the mini-sites, so it's great to see they've brought the mini-sites back. Best mini-site Alton have created in years.

The videos are good too, there not great, and do use a lot of stock footage but still a great way to promote the Scarefest event, and the majority of comments on Facebook seem to be positive.

:D
oldgitBEN

HOORAY for Scarefest!

Loving the mini-site, its a great idea to promote the event and surley cant cost alot to do - well dont alton for pulling your finger out and making this effort.

Video:
Carnival of Scream - I *love* the logo and music! I hope that music accompanies the attraction. Looking at the pictures featured I suspect they may be from concept drawings - I hope so, it the real thing looks half as good as those we are on to a winner.

ToT - what a dull video! I think they must have got bored after the other two, which is a shame as the maze is great.

Boiler House - nice touch to hear so much of last years audio re-used and I loved the characters last year, im hoping this year lives up to last year the promo certainly seems to be going that way!
AstroDan

TOTT seems to be a Hex and old TOTT stock footage montage...! The other videos are great.

:)
Pennywise

[quote=""ciaran""]The event looks spectacular this year but its a shame to see no duel or hex live this year, alton shows it does not need thorpe parks 5 mazes to its self justice all it needs is terror of the towers to thrash them all put together! I would love to join this year but can't I hope you all review it for me! :) I want to know all![/quote]

Hex: Live will be returning on selected days again this year, as for Duel: Live, we still don't know that that isn't Skelvin's Haunted Adventure.

Rob L

Must say I'm loving what Towers have done today in regards to Scarefest! The mini-site is great and very unexpected. In my opinion the single page on the main website didn't do the event justice, but this most certainly does, so a big thumbs up there to Towers!

The videos are great as well, especially one for the Carnival of Screams. The logo is very well done, I like how it used to be Carnival of Dreams. I have high hopes of this maze, and of Scarefest in general!

NF2

Come on, hands up from all the people that got excited when seeing "Room Th13teen", only to be disappointed in finding they were the scare rooms :lol:

I admit it, has anybody else made my mistake too?
Dean

[quote=""NF2""]Come on, hands up from all the people that got excited when seeing "Room Th13teen", only to be disappointed in finding they were the scare rooms :lol:

[/quote]

Hand Up such a shame... :(
oldgitBEN

#-o me too - gutted!
AstroDan

Schools across the region have been sent discount vouchers to give out to all the children - for Scarefest/Fireworks. £17 per person or £55 for a family of 4!

:D
PeteB

It's good to see they are keeping the marketing an even split between Adult/Thrill and Family/Kids like they did with last year. Great efforts by AT so far, keep it up! :D

...oh, and I got 90% on my scarefest quiz!
Mankey

I'm a bit annoyed to see Boiler House is using the same plot as last year. Lets hope they actually include scares this time! :( I'm going to be very very concerned when entering that maze. It was amazing in 2008, but last year it was diabolically bad. :(

Still carnival of screams seems to be the "bigger" maze this year, the attention seems to be focused on that. So that IS exciting!
Back from hibernation!
Scary Sarah

[quote=""NF2""]Come on, hands up from all the people that got excited when seeing "Room Th13teen", only to be disappointed in finding they were the scare rooms :lol:

[/quote]

Ummm yes my heart just skipped a beat as thought the actual Room 13 was back! :( Oh well am booked into one of these rooms for the 31st so hope it lives up to expectation!

I wonder if Room 13 will ever come back? Seems like there is alot of love for it out there.
Chris W

The Boiler House may the be same plot as last year but I expect lots of improvements, including additional scare-actors.
I don't think there is anything wrong with story, it just needs a bit of work. I've outlined some potential improvements in the spoiler box below. (It is spoilered as it mentions some of the main interactions with the Hamble twins)

[spoiler:2pdty0sq]1. Have somebody hiding in the shower cubicles at the start. Have one of the twins jump out and have the caretaker (I think thats what he was?) fight them off.
2. In the square room where they stopped the groups last year: Block the doorway off so the group cannot escape and have the twins intimidate guests for a while before a door opens so we can escape.
3. In general, just more interactions throughout the maze. I had a really good run through it last year with lots of scares, but not everyone was so lucky.[/spoiler:2pdty0sq]

And as it is now a month to go until Scarefest starts again I thought it might increase the anticipation by posting my audio recordings from last years mazes again.

They contain some strong language and spoilers.

Duel Live - Link
Boiler House - Link
Terror of the Towers: What Lies Within - Link
Field of 1000 Screams - Link
davey_will1980

If you look on the mini-site at the Characters bio, it says Skelvin will be found in the Haunted House, so I guess that's possible confirmation for Duel: Live?

[quote=""Air Dan""][quote=""ciaran""]The event looks spectacular this year but its a shame to see no duel or hex live this year, alton shows it does not need thorpe parks 5 mazes to its self justice all it needs is terror of the towers to thrash them all put together! I would love to join this year but can't I hope you all review it for me! :) I want to know all![/quote]

Hex: Live will be returning on selected days again this year, as for Duel: Live, we still don't know that that isn't Skelvin's Haunted Adventure.

:)[/quote]
[Archive]

Yes, I already said that. It has been all-but confirmed so far as a reincarnation of Duel Live. Well, it was blindingly obvious from the start. :wink:
buffaloBen

I think all the videos are great but i think its annoying that the images that were showed in the Carnival of screams video are not there own images or concept art.
If you search 'Abandoned circus' on google images it comes up on the first page and thats been on the net for 2 years so it can't be Alton's own work sadly. Although i hope it is similar to them images.

Great logo and everything but a lot of people were applauding Alton for the images in the video because they thought it was concept art but sadly it isn't the images but everything else looks amazing!
Pennywise

[quote=""electricBlll""]Yes, I already said that. It has been all-but confirmed so far as a reincarnation of Duel Live. Well, it was blindingly obvious from the start. :wink: [/quote]

God, I hope you're being sarcastic. You were virtually the only one denying Duel: Live when Skelvin was announced. ;)
Dean

* Please note – There is an extra charge for this maze. Book your tickets online soon!
This has now appeared on the relevant pages, but they have missed off adding this to the Boiler House page on the Microsite...
[Archive]

[quote=""Air Dan""]God, I hope you're being sarcastic. You were virtually the only one denying Duel: Live when Skelvin was announced. ;)[/quote]
Erm, are you being sarcastic? I have never denied anything. In fact, this was my post on the matter, several pages back: [quote=""electricBlll""]It's good to have a new maze that hasn't been seen before, and all sounds promising. Shame there is no Hex: Live or Duel: Live, though. But, all is not lost because Skelvin's Adventure really does sound familiar:

[quote=""Alton Towers Scarefest""]
Join Skelvin on his haunted adventure as he takes over this old abandoned house. Watch out for Skelvin’s friends, and have your wits about you as some of them might have a few surprises in store...[/quote]Old abandoned house? Watch out for his friends? What else could this possibly be? It screams Duel Live to me... [-o<

Shame that Duel is losing its what it had last year; I loved the live characters, old-style atmosphere, and there was a lot of emphasis on the original Haunted House theme. But if it is being 'rethemed' with a new Scarefest/Skelvin theme, this it may be a huge improvment! A bit like what they do to the Haunted Mansion over in the USA, perhaps. Except it's not based on some movie, but one of the Towers's own ideas.

Sounds good, I hope it turns out good too. I hope this isn't the end of Duel Live.[/quote]

Denial? Anywhere? No. Like I said, it has been fairly obvious from the start. Perhaps you are getting me mixed up with somebody else. Either way, you've got me a bit annoyed. :P

EDIT
And as for the post below, that is what I have been trying to say all this time... Oh well, I will just promptly leave this conversation to avoid any spammy posts. Sorry. :(
Last edited by [Archive] on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.