Restraint Preference

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

Which kind of restraint do you prefer at AT?

Poll runs till Fri Sep 24, 2049 6:52 pm

Over the head restrsaint (Air, Rita, Oblivion, Nemesis)
80%
Lapbars (Spinball Whizzer)
18%
No restraints if its a non rollercoatser (Congo River Rapids, Flume)
2%

Total votes: 95
Bote

[quote=""Kaycee""][quote=""Invie""][quote=""Kaycee""][quote=""Invie""]Funny, I remember one of my posts here was complaining about the 'clicks' on nemmy when my mums restraint flew up as we went down the first drop!
[/quote]

Eh? Restraint flew up?[/quote]

As we were going down the first drop, the restraint loosened so to speak. Can't think of the best way to put it. It literally flew up to the point where the seatbelt stopped it and she managed to slam it down again, so wasn't an issue, not as hilarious for her as it was for me though. :P [/quote]
This surely must be an exaggeration. Those harnesses can't fly up mid-ride - the only place they can lock or unlock is in the station with the use of the mechanism. At the very most a harness can slip up a click if at a certain place in the ratchet. If it unlocked itself mid-ride, it wouldn't re-lock. And the same would happen to the entire row. I really think if a harness 'flew open' it would not be hilarious to anyone. Those B&Ms are incredibly failsafe and a harness will never need to be held shut by a little seatbelt.[/quote]

Plus I'm sure if this happened the ride would inform the op (At least I would of thought so). B&M can easily boast the most comfortable and safest restraint systems.
Meg

I wouldn't find it "hilarious" if anyone's restraint "flew open!"
Nemesis is thrilling enough without that sort of thing happening surely?

It's difficult to say my favourite type of restraint, as they are all well suited to the intensity of the individual coaster I suppose, and you couldn't sensibly have any other option most of the time (apart from maybe Rita, which could be considerably improved by having a lap bar instead. However, I won't complain :) )

My least favourite restraints in the park have got to be Ripsaw's. I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I find them so painful on the thighs to the point it would almost make me not want to ride. I know, I should man up a bit if I want to call myself a true enthusiast!
Big Dave

Ok to bring this to an end can I just say that the harnesses do move and no one is saying they dont. What we are saying is that they are EXTREMELY unlikely to fail. More over you are much much much more likely to get stuck in them than having them come open during the ride.
D-Man

All I am going to say is...

"You are more likely to have an accident on the way to the theme park, than you are in the theme park!" :lol: :lol:

Kind of proves that with what happened not that long ago! (that's no offence to anybody!)
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Craig

I think we can get back onto the original topic of restraint preferences now please guys :)
7griffinjack

[quote=""spleenharvester""][quote=""shawnoc""][quote=""spleenharvester""][quote=""Alton77""]
I had a scary experience last time I went. Me and my friend were on the Runaway Mine Train and our lapbar come off and we were like WTF and I was holding on for dear life
LOL![/quote]

OMG, that's almost happened to me soo many times :shock: luckily the ride ops spot it before it sets out... nearly happened once on Rita too :shock:[/quote]

How did that happen on Rita? It has a belt to ensure the restraints wont fail! :roll:[/quote]

Never said it did happen... basically the restraint clicked but wouldn't come down all the way, couldn't get the belt in, got noticed though.

Just to add, it would probably've held... still bloody scary though.[/quote]

Rita's restraint clicked? I thought those Intamin ones used a kind of hydraulic/air locking system, where they can be locked at any certain place after a certain point. The B&M ones use the ratchet locking system.
Anonymous

Clamshell.

Enough said.
Big Dave

Fave restraints are the B&M flyer restraints. They are uber comfy!
stigzy

Lapbars! They add so much more thrill.

The worst restraints are the ones on Submission and Ripsaw. The horrible restraints factor a huge percentage as to why I avoid these rides.
Dormiens-Dave

I dont mind rippy restraints as they feel safe on a ride that hangs upside down for a long time, though submission is dire.

As for most other rides either B&M clamshell or Mack Hyper lapbar system
dbeatz13

AIR!

I could sleep in those babies!
John

A vague attempt at ranking, there's probably a lot I've missed but it's long enough as it is.

Mack over head lap bar
B&M clamshell
S&S lapbar
Generic lapbar
B&M OTSR
B&M flyer vest
S&S lapbar + shoulder harness
Ripsaw
Intamin lapbar
Nash Lapbar
Intamin OTSR
Intamin Overhead lapbar + straps
Vekoma OTSR with extra 'padding' (Infusion)

Maurer clamshell
KMG Tango/Equinox
Anything by Fabbri that uses a cage
Chance OTSR + spatula of doom (submission)
starbugger1303

Air's OTSR, they are by far the best restraints on park, although I do get nervous about them when it 'assumes the position' 8-[
monsterdan5

I don't actually like Air's, I reckon its because im so skinny :( Nemesis does it for me (Pretty much all B&M inverts are fine)
Kaycee

B&M Clamshells! Only ridden one coaster with them (Silver Star), but they're amazing. A barely-there pin at the pelvis and away you go down drops of ridiculous height. :D Nothing comes close for that feeling of freedom in the most precarious of situations, not even the (also v. good) Mack overhead lap bar.

Towers-specific, B&M OTSRs are close to perfection.
Michaél

Yes, B&M Clamshells are my favourite by a long shot, although Blue Fire's are extremely impressive.

Alton Towers wise...

I'd say that Air's are the 'best' restrains for what they do, for such an abnormal position, they provide extreme comfort. However, given the choice (especially when stuck on a brake run) I'd rather have some comfy B&M OTSRs. :)
AstroDan

Mack LSM/Mega Coaster restraints are my favourite to date.

B&M Mega Coaster clam shells are also superb.

Europa-Park FTW.

:P
Bote

In my experiance, anything B&M is comfy. The flying restrains have to be my favourite: Comfortable, secure, but still fairly free in my opinion. Normally I prefer OTSRs, but I was very impressed with Th13teen's lapbars. They were really comfy, and made the ride. The first drop works better for having lapbars I think. Makes it feel steeper, if you get what I mean :) The only problem I've ever had with Th13teen's is that when I first rode it I was expecting it to have some leaway (Like RMTs), so I pulled it in rather tight, expecting it to give back a bit, only to find it didn't! I spent the ride being crushed :P
Blaze

You can't beat a bit of B&M when it comes to restraints. They are perfection. Comfortable, soft, yet strong, secure and supportive, and perfectly shaped and sized. Absolutely flawless. Air's flying restraints are the apex of restraint design.

I also really like Thirteen's lap bars, they are very well done.

However, Rita's restraints, just no [-X
henry96

Lap bars where possible, and if that gives the best ride experience (TTD > Kinga Ka for example)

Obviously, with lots of coasters that's not possible. At AT the Air restraints are probably my favourite.