2010: Sonic Spinball

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
FallingStar

The advert, tis nothing amazing. It shows the Alton Towers and Sonic Spinball logo, and has dodgy american Sonic saying ride his new ride.
Jon

[quote=""Jon""]

[url=http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii83 ... V01307.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii83 ... V01307.flv[/url]

SONIC SPINBALL ADVERT
Of very poor quality :)
[/quote]
Formerly "Dagoo"
robelobe

Yeah, it is a pretty poor advert, but it made me excited to see AT symbols! LOL, I hope the game's good and like Mario Kart. When are the Thirteen adverts coming out?
Last edited by robelobe on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robe..LFC...bring on Th13teen
ReZourceman

So there was a bit of drama on Sonic Spinball yesterday!

I'm copying and pasting this from another forum because its so long, so apologies if it feels like it was written for a different target audience.

So. We were in Alton, just coming to the end of our day and decided we had time for one more ride, so we headed over to Sonic Spinball. The queue was about 35 minutes or so when we joined. Now, we got literally the the very front (row) of the queue, in the station. About four people in front of us...so we got front row tickets of the following events.

We noticed a small boy being led(lead?) over to the height checking device. The minimum height for the ride was 1.2m. Now admittedly it was very close, but the kid was undoubtedly under the height restriction.

Then the #### hit the fan (and we were so glad to be close to the action) basically the father came along and he was like "What? No way man" blah blah blah. And the Alton Towers attendee was trying to calm him down and stuff. The dude then said "But he's already been on it once today!" and some more general arguing ensued (as this was happening, all the trains started to build up in the station, with people still in them as the staff had to attend to the douche bag)

After a minute or two of this he said "Well I'm not f###ing moving until you let him on the ride" and reinforced his ground by folding his arms and adjusting his stance. My expression was sheer disgust at the douchebaggery on display, and I had a short natter with Mike and Phil (the two friends I was with), and had a general look at the crowd, all excited with the drama but annoyed.

The Alton Towers attendee walked into the station control room, and came out about 1 minute later, with two priority pass tickets in his hand, (which allow you to skip the queue on any ride in the park, basically) and he came over, started talking and apologising to the douche bag, and he handed him the tickets, and the douche bag literally flung them to ground in anger and unacceptance. I turned and quietly said "What a f###ing douchebag" to the others. Sickened me. Idiot. (I'd just like to say that the Alton Towers attendees handled the situation really well)

Then one of the other members of their group (there were four. Three male adults and the child) was like "But we only came on this ride because he wanted to ride it" and a minute or so later the dad said "He's already been on it three times today" and I turned around and commented how the story changed from 1 time, to implying he hadn't ridden it, to having ridden 3 times, and we chuckled.

By this point it had been about 7-8 minutes I guess, and security just showed up. I was expecting them to drag him off, but they just talked with him, and the douchebag explained (his side) of the situation to the two security guards. The two guards then walked off to the control building to discuss it.

I was like...WTF. And a sudden urge of adrenaline rushed over me, and I admit I did something I almost immediately regretted. And then I did it again, instantly. Lol.

I projected my voice loudly (so the crowd heard) but directly to the douchebag "He hasn't even looked at the crowd a single time yet." (which he hadn't I'm sure through guilt) and he didn't look, or he didn't hear. So I ...said it again. Lol. And he definitely heard this time cos' he looked at me and I thought "Oh ####, ####, #### I'm gonna get stabbed, totally shouldn't have done that"

But the damage was done, so I just had to roll with it and I just started talking to him, trying to get him to act more rationally. I said "Well I completely understand the situation dude, but the staff aren't doing it just to spite you. It is entirely for the childs safety and its rules of the ride. Just look at all the people you're holding up man." (I said something along these lines.) and he looked at the crowd, and how big it was getting, didn't really respond to me, but he...

Left! HE ####ing LEFT! I turned around and Phil and Mike were **** gobsmacked. I was like (when he went out of ear shot) "OH MY GOD I'M A ####ing GEE!" blah blah. I actually was a little offended that I didn't get a round of applause from the crowd. :p

Anyway it was amazing. I felt like a god. But he did look like a genuine gangster and I did fear for my safety, but in the end...

GOT SERVED! :D
Jon

Haha! I hope you enjoyed telling us that!

Yes, for some reason, queueing seems to bring out the worst in some people. And by some people, I mean angry chavs.
Formerly "Dagoo"
AstroDan

Sadly, such debates are part and parcel of life as an Alton Towers Ride Host.

:)
Jem8472

Would have been fun in the queue line to get everybody chanting p**s off p**s off to get the moronic idiot to stop arguing and leave.
richdirk123

Actually, the one I most feel sorry for is the child, not because he wasn't tall enough to ride, but because of his dad's behaviour infront of him, when he cold just have taken him to a different ride.
TheWraithWithNoFace

I think the Sonic spinball re-theme is a great improvement on Spinball Whizzer, the only downside i have to it is the Big billboard.. Looks a bit tacky
Top 5 Nemesis|The Flume...Obviously.|Oblivion|Duel|Rita
spinwhizzer

I went into Gamestation yesterday and noticed they have an identical model of Sonic in the shop; they really could have given AT more theming!
Blaze

For what it is, I'm happy enough.

The paint looks great, and even though I looked very hard, there is hardly any light blue that has been missed. A bit on the cross beams under the break run where it would be impossible to reach and the bottom of the supports in the midway have chipped a bit in places. That's it. A pretty thorough job.

The big billboard on the shed actually doesn't look too bad in the flesh and the sound effects are pretty cool, although I did want more;I expected Sonic mucic but instead got the decent but boring third single from The Killer's latest album.

Wish there were more statues but I am being picky. For a sponsored rehash it's pretty good.
amylovesaltontowers

I'm not suprised by Alton's decision to put Sonic Spinball on the park map as 'new for 2010'. While i am fully aware that it is a change in theming (and a general tidy up), it should not be advertised on the park map in the same way that a completely new attraction would be. For instance, a person that didn't know Alton Towers at all would see Sonic Spinball as a new attraction in the same way that they would see Th13teen.
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'
Blaze

Well that's what they want-"Come ride our new ride and an old ride we tarted up!" or "Come and ride our two new rides!" What sounds better?
amylovesaltontowers

[quote=""Blaze""]Well that's what they want-"Come ride our new ride and an old ride we tarted up!" or "Come and ride our two new rides!" What sounds better?[/quote]

I just think that apart from some pictures being added and a name change, it's along the same lines as giving Oblivion a lick of paint and naming it as a new attraction/ride on the park map.
Last edited by amylovesaltontowers on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'
Eagie

The new issue of Playstation Official Magazine landed on my door mat yesterday and on page 32 I was confronted with a big pic of Sonic Spinball.

The whole page is devoted to Sonic @ Alton Towers - not that it goes in to great depth. It gives details of the Sonic room describing it as "what you would expect from an eight-year-old millionaire circa 1993" and quotes the editor of girlgamersuk as saying Spinball is "very fast and quite scary!".

This is all great news for Alton: Sega pay them to do a simple touch up to an existing ride; We, the enthusiasts, get to see it all looking shiny and new again; Alton Towers get loads of free publicity that would costs thousands in places that they wouldn't have got in to before.

All thanks to a bit of paint on an old(ish) ride. :clap:
AngelaB1983

I actually like the re theme, its quirky, and retro now, as a mega drive player growing up, it will take me back to my childhood, i was addicted to Sonic Spinball.

Isnt that the point guys? We go to Alton to get away from our eveyday lives and create memories, and re-awaken old ones? as a child, my best holidays were at alton, and i played all the sonic games on the megadrive, and have a few for the wii as well, so as well as having a blast from the past, kids who play the sonic games on the newer consoles, it is also tying in with the fun they have at home.

Does it really change the ride experience? i cant see that it will, its just a fresh coat of paint and a few stickers and a statue, so rather than rant about it, why not just enjoy it?
Doom and son

Totally agree with Angela there!, theme parks,nintendo and pixar films are the things that transport me back to my child hood. Shame that those games you can play in the que for sonic spinball are not sega themed tho.
Links 2 3 4....
The Bird Is The Word!