SW6 / Thirteen - Ride & Construction discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Blaze

[quote=""jdselby1983""]Image

Anyone think these wheels on the side stick out like a sore thumb? Just a thought, but is there any chance that these train cars may spin on another axis, to simulate a train breaking up/becomming uncoupled in a drop? The rail that houses these wheels on the break run look like they are there to pull the cars in line?[/quote]
You can't see wheels in that picture. It is a support footing. The rail is part if the train or part of a normal brake run, the angle doesn't make if very clear where the train ends and track begins. Looking at it, there isnt any way for the cars to move around, and would make them too heavy also.

I really want to see inside the station, the queue bridge and baggage area.

EDIT
I realise what you mean by wheels. That is actualy theming on the trains. You can not see wheels.
jdselby1983

[quote=""Blaze""]
EDIT
I realise what you mean by wheels. That is actualy theming on the trains. You can not see wheels.[/quote]

Ahh thanks for clearing that up.
CJH

Well I would rather have seperate lapbars, but seems that we are getting just one single lap bar per row. :(
Nice trains though!
Chris 21 Manchester
spinwhizzer

[quote=""CJH""]Well I would rather have seperate lapbars, but seems that we are getting just one single lap bar per row. :(
Nice trains though![/quote]

What makes you say there will only be a single lap bar?
Benedique

I'm thinking, or rather hoping, that there are seperate lapbars, reason being: look @ how much room is inside each car, i mean Alex Reid is hardly small, hes massive and there's still loads of room around him, i'm taking that to mean its seperate lapbars as single might leave too much room for jerking around unless of course they decide to add super tight seatbelts! [-X

Edit: i've just looked @ the picture again and the carriages, as previously mentioned seem to be quite open at the sides, so i'm thinking the seatbelt thing...arghhh! :( I'd rather be in an OTSR than in a seatbelt because i find seatbelts really cut into me during air time, i HOPE if there are seatbelts that AT have made them comfy, if thats possible 8-[
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""CJH""]Well I would rather have seperate lapbars, but seems that we are getting just one single lap bar per row. :(
Nice trains though![/quote]

If you look at the Alex Reid Picture you can see the lap bar at his side of the car, but if you follow the line across to the side with the water dummy in you can't see the lap bar at that side, this suggests that the lapbars are seperate on each side.
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
simononestop

What about if in the secret element the train stops so smoothly you dont feel it? and in complete darkness, a tilt forwards 45 degrees and a wind machine to create the feeling you are still moving forwards fast. You could keep the riders feeling you are moving continuous while you are completely still. Maybe using screens around the car? but I prefer the complete darkness idea.
Last edited by simononestop on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benedique

[quote=""simononestop""]a tilt forwards 45 degrees and a wind machine it creates the feelin you are still moving forwards fast! you could keep the riders feeling you are moving contunious while you are completely still! (maybe using screens around the car? but i prefure the complete dark)[/quote]

Yeah I see what you're saying, but you would still need some kind of motion to make it feel as though your moving. I don't quite think just the wind alone would create the feeling of movement. Its a really good idea though and maybe Alton have actually recreated that. None of us will know until the 20th (well maybe before as I'm on the preview weekend but my lips are staying zipped as I wont be spoiling the suprise for everyone else.)

You never know what lengths Alton would go to, the pictures with Alex in the train could be a prototype train and the finished one could actually have OTSR, which wouldn't rule out the horizontal drop which was previously discussed, but I'm just wishful thinking as I doubt they would actually go to such extremes as making a false train just to throw us off the scent. :(
Last edited by Benedique on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seanyboyuk

that train looks very like the one in them drawings a few years ago!

i doubt alton would goto such lengths to create a fake train, its obvious what goes on inside the building is the secret which is well hidden now.
Craig

It's great to see some of the replies in here guys. But, some are quite hard to read since there's no capitalisation, and some are being written in just one long sentence.

Just trying to make things easier for everyone, and people are far more likely to take notice of your opinions when they can be clearly read :D
Lotte

I think Alex Reid's in hot bother with that pic.Ain't he already dating some other dummy
Islander

[quote=""Dominique""]...the finished one could actually have OTSR which wouldn't rule out the horizontal drop which was previously discussed...[/quote]
A lap bar certainly doesn't rule out any kind of drop. As has been said many times, look at Tower of Terror - that has a far, far greater drop than we could be seeing with Thirteen, but uses nothing more than a seatbelt.
PeteB

[quote=""Lotte""]I think Alex Reid's in hot bother with that pic.Ain't he already dating some other dummy[/quote]

More to the point he's such a dummy himself they've probably been testing the ride with him on it. Judging by the state of his face they've had a few mishaps.

Honestly, why has Alton Towers picked such an unpopular character? He and Katie Price are the scum of the celebrity world and deserve nothing!

Peter Andre would have jumped at the chance to do this I reckon, and he would have been much more well received!
simononestop

Just that he won Big Brother so its a great bit of PR by Alton. As much as you hate it he is the hot topic of the month (apparently).
CJH

This is what makes me think it will be a single lap bar.

[url=http://www.rcdb.com/1457.htm?p=4264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.rcdb.com/1457.htm?p=4264[/url]
Same style as what you can see in the train of Thirteens picture.

Compared to Intamins seperate lap bars.
[url=http://www.rcdb.com/4038.htm?p=21838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.rcdb.com/4038.htm?p=21838[/url]
Chris 21 Manchester
Mankey

Take into account the level of banking and airtime. Single lap bars just wouldn't be suitable!
Back from hibernation!
CJH

I wouldn't say it banks that much tbh. And airtime? Have you rode the coaster or seen it run yet? How can you say whether the coaster will have airtime?
Chris 21 Manchester
Andrewroom

Does anybody think the 'spool' like shape at the front of the train bears any significance to the theme of the ride? Something to do with what happens inside the building? A torch? It just seems odd, and though there may be one on the other side of the picture, it would still surely only be there for a reason.
Toy Story Land at DLP! Woop!
XIIIDom

I'm certain the restraints will be over the lap - but not bars. Similar to rush's restraints at thorpe park. Other coasters such as apollo's chariot at BGW (pictured below) - also have these sorts of restraints. Neither haver inversions but both are awesome!

furie

I think CJH is right.
He's linked to the same ride type, with the same train type. No reason to think it will have a different restraint type. Hope and prayers, but not reason. :)

That mine train ride is supposed to be pretty good fun, even with the single bars. If you look at the layout of th13teen, it looks "pretty good fun".

If the secret weapon is some kind of hydraulic simulator, the trains wont need a better restraint system.

At the end of the day, it's a family mine train coaster with "something special" and a ghost theme. I can't see any reason (especially now we've seen the trains and bench seats) to think it's going to be anything other than that. If you do, you're just opening yourself up for a world of disappointment.

I'm not saying it's gonig to be awful, I'm just being realistic - as I've laways said, everything hinges on the Secret Weapon.
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here