2010: Corkscrews for the Entrance Plaza

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
DiogoJ42

I'm sure there will be some kind of plaque. [-o<
Coaster Crazy Alex

^ I don't think so however i reckon there will be. Also i think alton only did this because of what it REALLY ment to the park. The START.

What is the betting that she (the corkie) will be immediatly vandalised by some teens who have no idea what they really mean to enthusiasts. :x :( Like the haunted house, they will have to be removed... :(

I hope not though...

PS: I can't wait to touch them aswell! :D
Massive thanks to adzy for the signature and avatar!
Xbox Live - Blanddak1ller LFD2,FIFA10 and MW2 expert; feel free to add me!
DiogoJ42

If I see anyone dessecrate our beloved Corkie, I will gut them on sight, and skewer the corpse on the roof of the towers as a warning to others.
jomo1993

[quote=""Diogoj42""]If I see anyone dessecrate our beloved Corkie, I will gut them on sight, and skewer the corpse on the roof of the towers as a warning to others.[/quote]

Ye, or there will be like an idiot who thinks hes cool, and climbs up right on top of the loop and sits up there, or fathers for justice even :lol:
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Squiggles

[quote=""Diogoj42""]You realise that most of us will never have been this close to the 'screws before? I can't wait to be able to touch them![/quote]

Umm... I think most of us have got pretty darn close to them before. I for one know my bum has been within 30cm of them many times! ;)

I saw them today and they do make a very striking entrance feature, they'll provide a very focal entrance for all three entry points in my opinion ( coach park, monorail and priority parking)
Edwardo..... move me!
PeteB

[quote=""jomo1993""]
Ye, or there will be like an idiot who thinks hes cool, and climbs up right on top of the loop and sits up there, or fathers for justice even :lol:[/quote]

Thats like, so blatently obvious isn't it? You just know that at some point, there will be a **** head climbing all over it, and probably hurt themselves.

I wonder what AT have in mind for this - fenced off supports? more security at the entrance?

I can just see it now in the stupid tabloids "boy falls to his death after climbing the loop on well known coaster".

GRRRR :twisted: :evil: [-X
Dave

the planning app did state there would be a fence around the low parts of the structure to stop peopel climbing onto them :)
bushboy2

I give it 2 weeks into the season before some idiot decides to climb to the top of them.

I'm surprised just how low they are to the ground in the middle section. Looks easy to get onto with a leg up.
DiogoJ42

[quote=""Squiggles""][quote=""Diogoj42""]You realise that most of us will never have been this close to the 'screws before? I can't wait to be able to touch them![/quote]
Umm... I think most of us have got pretty darn close to them before. I for one know my bum has been within 30cm of them many times! ;)[/quote]
That doesn't count, and you know it! :P
Andrewroom

[quote=""Coaster Crazy Alex""]^ I don't think so however i reckon there will be. [/quote] ? :?

I would imagine there will be, and I can't see it being easy to vandalise it... especially with so many staff members there at one time, all day.
Toy Story Land at DLP! Woop!
haydn!

They're looking good. Though, they could have given the rest of the entrance a bit of a overhaul to compliment the corkscrew color scheme. Even if it was just a straight-forward paint job, painting the booths purple with golden trimmings. It would have looked even better then!
Benedique

i'm up @ the hotel now and want to go and see corky for myself, how close will I be able to get (never been to the hotel in closed season before you see, so not sure how far we are allowed to go) :D
NickT04

[quote=""Dominique""]i'm up @ the hotel now and want to go and see corky for myself, how close will I be able to get (never been to the hotel in closed season before you see, so not sure how far we are allowed to go) :D[/quote]

Well I went for some golf in December with a friend, and managed to get inside the theme park, so take from that what you will! You'll be able to get into the plaza fine, I just imagine the area around the corkscrew's may still be fenced off.
fredward

I'm actually at the hotel as well, I got right up next to the corkscrews! The builders didn't seem to care that we where there,

If anyone asks why your there say you are looking for guest services.

I have some really nice piccies for you guys, but I can't post them till tomorro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SheikhSam

:( anyone else think they look kinda sad, im no dr dolittle steel version though :P
id prefer it if they were the original colour, some people might not be able to recognise them as purple, it looks like a slight imitation [-X
Big Dave

Yeah I agree. The yellow/gold colour would have been better on the track as I find the purple a bit dark. Nice colours, they should just be the other way round.
n1134

Fresh pictures anyone?

Last edited by n1134 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SheikhSam

uh oh! diogo won't be happy, looks like we'll have to jump to touch them :(
NickT04

I sense many a picture oppourtunity!
Big Dave

I realllly hope the purple fades a bit. Just seems too dark, although I do like the sandy yellow footers. Im also hoping for some sort of sign saying this sculpture uses the original track from the world famous Corkscrew rollercoaster or something along those lines.