2010: Corkscrews for the Entrance Plaza

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
moog666

I read a rumour elsewhere on the forums that the loops from corkscrew where saved fromm scrapping and will be going on display somwhere. Possibly in the SW6 area. Can anyone confirm this?

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.
oldgitBEN

you're right it was said that the corkscrews were saved and were to become some variety of tribute.
Nothing else has been mentioned as far as i know, there are several places it could go in my eyes...

- above the road entrance
- above the entrance gates
- on a central gas bank on towers st
- in the middle of the sw6 area
dont look down 2005

They're definately still on site, in fact I believe they're in the Black Hole Tent, altho obviously they'r enot staying there.

To my knowledge they will be used in SW6 somewhere...
Stern John

I really hope they incorporate them into SW6 somewhere!
[-o<
NickT04

Maybe that's the World First element, the first coaster to incorporate track from another coaster! :mrgreen:
leammiles

That would be amazing!

Having new track built around the corkscrews...it will never happen, but would be amazing.

What I'm hoping for is for a straight part of the ride to have the corkscrews spiralling around the track.
Pennywise

Ugh, Corkscrew never had 'loops', it had Corkscrews, hence the name. :x
bradpeet

[quote=""leammiles""]That would be amazing!

Having new track built around the corkscrews...it will never happen, but would be amazing.

What I'm hoping for is for a straight part of the ride to have the corkscrews spiralling around the track.[/quote]

Now that has set me thinking :lol:

Have you ever noticed how on the squirrel nutty ride there is a place where it almost looks as if the track could run onto the spinball tracks? Now - imagine if SW6 was lined up so that it looked as if it was about to run onto corkie's loops, and then turned away (or dipped below them) at the last minute. Or am I just being silly? ;)
Brett

the elements on the curved airtime hills would perfectly weave in abd out of the corckscrew would it not?
seanyboyuk

maybe they will incorporate the corkscrews into the helix section?
Altonator

Wonder if they will be left yellow (for old times sake)
or be repainted to match SW6?
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
DiogoJ42

I would hope they stay yellow. otherwise they won't be corkies's any more!
seanyboyuk

yes it would be silly for them to repaint them, the yellow is part of the rides iconic status.
Stern John

Yeah, they should stay old and rusty yellow.
Would it be possible for them to go where they previously were or is that area now where the station building is for SW6?
Andrewroom

It encroaches onto the station area, yes. It's more to the left though (from Rita's queueline). I think that's where the queueline for SW6 will go.

How about on that rather straight piece of track between the two airtime hills in the woods we've seen. Or over the bunny hops for a head chopper effect?

Even over the backwards helix to cover the track, with roots etc wrapped around them would be good. With so many opportunities on the SW6 site they must surely use them there!
Toy Story Land at DLP! Woop!
pj.frankophone

I think they should go on Towers Street for people to walk underneath
leammiles

When you enter Rita's queue line you have to walk through the tyre.

It would be nice if it looked like corky had been pulled underground by 'the forces of the new ride' or whatever and you walk through the corkscrews as part of the queue.

If they were gonna have them elsewhere in the park as a photo oppertunity or walk through attraction, it would have been done for this season surely?

The fact they aren't already out on the park makes me think they are using it as part of SW6
seanyboyuk

correct me if i am wrong but didnt russel say they would be used in the new ride?
they will be used somewhere for all to see i think so all we can do is wait.

a good idea would be one of them death type characters look as if hes got them in his hands or like above being pulled from the ground would be a good idea. a train with dummy riders on the corkscrews looking scared would be a good idea too.
Stern John

[quote=""seanyboyuk""]correct me if i am wrong but didnt russel say they would be used in the new ride?
they will be used somewhere for all to see i think so all we can do is wait.[/quote]
I think he said they would be put somewhere in the park.
2:40
[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;] ... re=related[/url]
I'd prefer to see them incorporated into SW6 rather than on Towers Street or the road leading up to the car park.
[url=http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/ol ... rk0001.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/ol ... rk0001.jpg[/url]
I think it would be nice to have the old entrance somewhere in the woods looking old and grey with some broken fencing behind it!
seanyboyuk

yea that a good idea it would be like a graveyard for corkscrew or something where boneshaker used to be
and like a black hole style plaque with old pics etc.