SW6 Construction Part Two

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Sir John Talbot

Nah, I think excitement is warranted.

It's still a big drop regardless so pack a good punch. I'm reminded of Corkscrews first drop and hill - the only part of the ride that remained good IMO. Add to that the sensation of racing through Alton's foilage, and it could be a really stimulating ride experience. Actually reminds me of those pre-SW1 plans, though obviously much much much shorter, but the idea of a simplistc but effective layout through the trees has been something John's eyed for a while now and I can understand his vision.

I don't the ride was ever gonna be intense. Doesn't mean it can't be thrilling.
thedaftpunk

Seems as though there is only the first drop, helix and bunny hop to the forest section left.

Could they be doing this last to provide access for something to bring the worlds first element round to the station one wonders? Because otherwise there would be no clear access.

I imagine work will now take place to finish the station building asap before winter sets in.Should be finished by December easily at this rate.

TDP
D-Man

I thought the ride would be much closer to the ground than that and going through trenches and stuff which would have made it even better than it already looks :lol:

What is there looks brilliant though!
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Javs

Hmm, I hate to agree with the minority here at the moment, but thus far, the wooded section is not really exciting me. I am just hoping that the speed at which it goes through this section, some elements we have not yet seen and the train design all combine to make this something special.
Andrewroom

Although these are great pictures, they don't show ALL the wooded area so don't get your hopes down!

At speed these could be great. The other thing is, the track could easily be finished in the next fortnight, so they have months to continue work on the station, world's first element and... theming in the woods? As said before, lights would be effective, but also retheming the supports to trees/branches and/or adding extra tree theming and gravestones (which the poster suggest) would make it more immersive than it currently looks. The track has only just been put up! We could be seeing some headchoppers or elements to that effect to enhance the thrill - especially with the airtime that would be provided.

Don't forget the intensity of the drop into the backwards helix! The ride won't be too tame!
Toy Story Land at DLP! Woop!
barryzola

To answer Altonator's question, no from what i've seen, the track doesn't go near where 1001/Boneshaker stood as i've had a walk towards that area too. I'm a bit puzzled why they havn't gone that far to be honest but i havn't even looked at the plans if i'm truthful :P

Maybe a problem with tree conservation?
nickn5

Great photos and very interesting to see the track constructed so quickly. Were the photos taken from areas you can get to as a 'general public'?

Maelstrom

If you look back at the plans you can see that highest point of the sweeping curve seen in the lattest photos is not much higher than the bottom of the first drop (as the land drops downwards through the woodland section) resulting in going through the wooded section faily fast. Plus at the bottom of the first drop we have a helix staight away which should provide some thrills before rising into the two airtime (hopefully) hills which are also much lower in iieght than you would expect following the main drop. Plus we have the feature that gets us from the top level of the building to the bottom which is likly to add a thrill and then we have the backwards section with that drop into the trench. The ride looks like a winner for the Public as the final part of the ride will likly feature an unexpected drop and then the backwards section which is the last bit people will remember as they come back into the station (and both the drop feature (if thats what it is) and the backwards drop will catch alot of people out again adding to the thrill factor)

I also wouldn't expect much themeing in the woodland section as i would have thought that would have needed to be on the planning doccument. However i would expect to see some around the backwards helix (fake rocks, and tree stumps, vines etc) and also around the turnaround from station to light hill again maybe fake rocks on the banks of the small trench plus most of the theming will be in the ride building.
XIIIDom

the themeing better be pretty special...i'm just not feeling that this is gonna be an awesome ride... :cry:
CJH

As you can see the first drop is starting to take shape, it looks quite a decent first drop.

Also they have 3 actors around Ugland promoting SW6.

Thanks to towersnerdLIVE for the images.

From that first drop, and where the tires stop I can't see the trains being that small, either that or the lift hill will be faster.
Chris 21 Manchester
Gloomy Dude

Wow! Actors promoting! That is absolutely brilliant!

I'm sorry, but with all the effort they're putting into this, I absolutely refuse to believe it will be anything other than awesome.
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
CJH

I think it will be amazing, think back to Oblivion and compare:
Unknown: We didn't know what Oblivion would be, just that it would be a worlds first. SW6 kind of has this unknown factor to it, with the Worlds first bit.

Actors: Oblivion had the guy who was refusing to tell people anything and trying to get people to evacuate the area, hopefully these actors wont give anything away and will leave a lot to the imagination. Maybe warning people of an evil force within the area that will be returning in 2010?

I think the marketing team are doing amazing for this coaster already, lets just hope the themeing will live up to the plans, if done right this could easily be the best themed coaster in the UK.
Chris 21 Manchester
Kaz

Still think the shallowness of that lift hill suggests speed.
Chris1

I'm still not overly impressed with the layout of the ride, or the scale of it within the forest itself; I was at the very least hoping to see some trenches or really ground hugging elements through the trees...
I think this may just suggest that the trains are going be quite long, but i'm hoping that your right and it will pick up a fair amount of speed on the ascent. Just have a feeling that it's not gonna be all that much better speed-wise than Mine Train Ulven (Below)...

Very much looking forward to riding the backwards drop out of the building however as this could prove to be one of the rides most unexpected elements... :)

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]

pfleety

[quote=""Chrïs""]

Image[/quote]

Well done with that i thought it was real on first look!

Pete,
jordanc14

[quote=""Chrïs""]I'm still not overly impressed with the layout of the ride, or the scale of it within the forest itself; I was at the very least hoping to see some trenches or really ground hugging elements through the trees...
I think this may just suggest that the trains are going be quite long, but i'm hoping that your right and it will pick up a fair amount of speed on the ascent. Just have a feeling that it's not gonna be all that much better speed-wise than Mine Train Ulven (Below)...

Very much looking forward to riding the backwards drop out of the building however as this could prove to be one of the rides most unexpected elements... :)

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]

Image[/quote]

Yes but on Mine Train Ulven, they didn't have the fantastic Mr Wardley designing it. Did they? I am sure with him on our side, it won't disappoint.

btw absolutely great graphic design, i also thought it was real, well done!
EdwinOkli

Besides, Mine Train Ulven was made by Giovanola and designed (typically) by Ingenieur-Büro Stengel. No sign of SW6 on this list yet, but the list for 2010 isn't up yet so I'm guessing we'll see it at the start of the next year.
XIIIDom

[quote=""CJH""]
Also they have 3 actors around Ugland promoting SW6.

Thanks to towersnerdLIVE for the images.

From that first drop, and where the tires stop I can't see the trains being that small, either that or the lift hill will be faster.[/quote]

Ok, I'm convinced! SW6 will truley be something special. On the Awesome-o-meter (measured in Mega-sises) I'm placing this between Oblivion and Nemesis!
Chris1

Yes but on Mine Train Ulven, they didn't have the fantastic Mr Wardley designing it. Did they?
John Wardley does and has not designed the layouts from top to bottom of any of the previous SW's, he simply comes up with a design concept; Ingenieur-Büro Stengel & the manufacturer come up with a layout and John adds his input on where it could be improved...
Besides, Mine Train Ulven was made by Giovanola
Giovanola were a subcontractor, Intamin worked with them on many attractions during the 90's; it is still classed as an Intamin and is the same model that SW6 is (With the new square Intamin supports of course)...
Trixz

Still yet to be properly excited about this whole project especially now that I've seen the wooded section for myself, I mean when you see it in person it looks at best mediocre sort of like a smaller MUCH tamer version of the ultimates 2nd section. For me unlike most people I felt that out of all aspects of this ride the wooded section would be the highlight because I hate it when rides rely solely on theming. So yeh hopefully I will proven wrong but from what I've seen I doubt that
WE ARE ALL WITNESSESS