SW6 Construction Part Two

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
EdwinOkli

[quote=""bradpeet""][quote=""Rollercoaster5000""]
[-X Spike in case you haven't noticed. Alton Towers have classed SW6 as a thrill ride on their site :D [url=http://www.altontowers.com/2010/poster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.altontowers.com/2010/poster/[/url].

[/quote]

But they also list blade, enterprise and submission as thrill rides. Enough said? :wink:[/quote]

Submission petrified me. Blade was meh. Haven't been on Enterprise.
Vik

Can we get back on topic of Construction discussion and updates please. :D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Jon

[quote=""bradpeet""][quote=""Rollercoaster5000""]
[-X Spike in case you haven't noticed. Alton Towers have classed SW6 as a thrill ride on their site :D [url=http://www.altontowers.com/2010/poster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.altontowers.com/2010/poster/[/url].

[/quote]

But they also list blade, enterprise and submission as thrill rides. Enough said? :wink:[/quote]

No no no...this misses the point. These rides are support rides and if matters less where they are placed. The park like to group types of rides in the area that they are in, so they'll avoid classing Blade as a family ride, though if it were moved to Katanga or Forbidden, you know it'd get changed. Newer rides, however, may differr from the type of rides tge area traditionally has because they take priority and the park want to get the target audience of that ride more than the area (Spinball, Rita). The fact they've put this in the thrill bracket, and used thrill styled marketing is promising; it shows us the way in which the park are approaching this ride.

They seem to be paying attention to the building which strikes me as odd. Surely they would want to build the track then the building around it? Do they want the facade us as advertising? Or do they need a structure in place to to support the track?
Formerly "Dagoo"
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""Jon""]
They seem to be paying attention to the building which strikes me as odd. Surely they would want to build the track then the building around it? Do they want the facade us as advertising? Or do they need a structure in place to to support the track?[/quote]

Most coasters of this scale will focus on the building first. They will put all the track in which later on in the build maybe hampered by the station construction. The station will be the most difficult part due to the wiring, theming etc. It's easier to put in the track there and then build around it, not to mention the indoor section which is going to be a long job. The track outdoors can be put up really quickly. It's all about room to move.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
nickn5

Forgot to post earlier when I posted my photos, but also on Monday a couple of workmen were busy with what looked like radiator paint rollers (i.e very small ones), painting the track nearest the Rita queue line where it dips below ground level. Looked like a job that could take a while!

EdwinOkli

They were painting the track?
Am I just being stupid or doesn't roller coaster track come pre-painted?
Evostance

[quote=""EdwinOkli""]They were painting the track?
Am I just being stupid or doesn't roller coaster track come pre-painted?[/quote]

Im guessing it was either for effect or just sealant around the joints.

Anyway, Im not sure where to put this but I started mocking up the entrance feature in Sketchup.

Its a very rough impression as there isnt much to go by and the scribble sketch doesnt show much

Larger: [url=http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7752/ent.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7752/ent.png[/url]
Last edited by Evostance on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickn5

[quote=""Evostance""][quote=""EdwinOkli""]They were painting the track?
Am I just being stupid or doesn't roller coaster track come pre-painted?[/quote]

[/quote]

Just uploading the video now so I'll let you all work it out, I'm no expert on these things! :)

EDIT:

Video added, click here to watch it.

El Patricko

How so? Corkscrew was 1.2m and had two inversions. The only way we know there shall be no inversions is due to the fact there are none on the plans
The corkscrew was designed decades ago, obviously most harnesses on new coasters aimed at 12+age market cant go from being able to support a mammothly proportioned human to safely supporting a 1.2m or less person. I don't know of any new intamins that can do this.

Enterprise inverts several times but it has a minimum height restriction of 0.9m as long as they are accompanied by an adult.
Enterprise it a flat ride that was designed decades ago which relies on centripetal force to keep the riders in and thus has no bearing on this coaster.

Perhaps i should of re-phrased the original post with that old hat "in my opinion" as to have another ride with 1.4hm height limit would surely be a step backwards in terms of a balance to the park, that, and the fact that new inverting intamins have 1.4m restriction, and obviously the plans, made me come to the conclusion that this ride will not have any inversions and be a 1.2m restriction.

In my opinion

Darn i burned my dinner..
(EDIT i probably should of ate my dinner first, im always a grumpy...when hungry)
Last edited by El Patricko on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
EdwinOkli

[quote=""nickn5""][quote=""Evostance""][quote=""EdwinOkli""]They were painting the track?

[/quote]

Just uploading the video now so I'll let you all work it out, I'm no expert on these things! :)

EDIT:

Video added, click here to watch it.[/quote]

They appear to be painting black track, black.
I'd be more impressed if they were going to do some sort of green fade on it, but these aren't exactly artists. Plus, they'll never get the job done using rollers like that.
Javs

How odd! I can only guess that the track may have been damaged/scratched as it was installed. This maybe a way of treating it, like hammerite, to protect it from rust? Wither that or they are waterproofing it. I stated a few pages back that the trench could be a water feature and the track could be permanently wet.
bradpeet

[quote=""Javs""]I stated a few pages back that the trench could be a water feature and the track could be permanently wet.[/quote]

That is an interesting thought. I had been wondering why the track between the station and the (first) lift hill was in a trench. Although it would seem odd to have a train moving through such a water feature at low speed - what would be the point? (Most features like this seem to be taken at high speed so as to give some sort of splash)
Javs

Well, it could be something to do with the castle moat and that you are in a vehicle that first enters the moat before continuing the journey. The only thing is at the moment the trench is not water proofed and there is no means of propulsion for the coaster car once in the moat. Unless there is a flow of water? The track does look like aqua trax.
Evostance

I doubt there will be water in there. Probably just touching it up or something.

Btw, i finished my entrance feature model

Larger: [url=http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/5428/79316078.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/5428/79316078.png[/url]

Larger: [url=http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6839/82362662.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6839/82362662.jpg[/url]
Big Dave

[quote=""nickn5""][quote=""Evostance""][quote=""EdwinOkli""]They were painting the track?

[/quote]

EDIT:

Video added, click here to watch it.[/quote]

Seems a bit soon to be applying this, but it could be something like track wax. It is used to protect the track and also the train wheels.
bushboy2

Today saw more work to the lift. Looks like the next section will see the lift topping out, which could well be either tomorrow or friday.
nickn5

Ok finally (2.5 hours later) uploaded the Monday construction video to Youtube - please be aware at the moment (midnight) it's still being processed so quality may not be brilliant quite yet. :)

EDIT: It's finished processing so quality is not bad now. It's about 5 1/2 minutes long and shows the big crane lowering a girder/beam into position and one or two other bits and pieces :)

Watch the video here
Last edited by nickn5 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris.1980

that was amazing, been to disney paris for 3days so just come on here to catch up on the sw6 progress, its looking so good now great video. Must admit with it being you tube part of me was expecting that girder to hit somebody!
mezza

If there was going to be water in the trench, they'd have lined it with concrete before putting the track in.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
neonlights

maybe as said before, some kind of wax but to protect it but when they line the trench with cement as it does tend to eat in to things and splash about not good one shiny new coaster track