Cloud Cuckoo Land Skyride Station Fire

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Kaz

[quote=""Diogoj42""]If it's the Skyride, Ican't see any insurence company willing to touch it after two fires in to years,[/quote]

Insurance will be park wide not for individual buildings. Alton getting their moneys worth thats for sure.
Joel

Likewise the insurers with next years premiums ;) lol
popTART

Oh god another fire on the skyride i hope everything's ok, bad karma or what.
Chris W

ATA Dan has also contacted Alton Towers he said:
I just spoke to the park, they have confirmed that there is indeed a fire in the Cloud Cuckoo Land Sky Ride station. The fire started after 10:30pm so nobody has been hurt in the incident, but the station is - in their words - "gone", so the ride will be closed for the foreseeable future.

The park will be open business as usual tomorrow.
DiogoJ42

We need to invent teleporters. Then we won't need a Skyride!
Kaz

I would love to know whether the stations have fire alarm systems fitted; a couple of grand can save you a couple of hundred in cases like this.
Joel

It would have probably only been sprinklers that had any hope of saving it - it would take a few minutes to trigger a fire alarm, and a few minutes to even get an investigation response.

By which time it'd have probably been too late again :(
kitsune

I wonder why fire is hitting the sky ride stations most. Could it be the buildings and the mech or just bad luck.
When life bites your ass just turn and kick it hard in the nuts.
(Gravety is your Nemesis)
AstroDan

This is really awful news. Alton Towers have spent millions on new gondola's and been operating the Skyride daily this season for the first time in ages.

It's a real shame, but questions are really going to need asking after 2007.
DiogoJ42

Just a crazy thought: why not use flame-retardant building materials?
Just throwing it out there.
It's like yanks who build wooden houses in the path of tornados. Have they never heard of the three little pigs?
mattbailey

Not good news at all. Especially as the busy summer period is starting up without the Skyride.

PLUS We wont be able to get aerial shots of SW6 now :cry:
Islander

*Sigh*

Didn't get to ride the Skyride on my previous (first!) visit to AT back in May, and vowed that I'd be back later in the year to visit it. I could weep...

(Thank goodness no one is hurt, though)
Chris W

I presume the only people on park would be security? The security lodge is miles away from UG Land/CCL, it would take a few minutes for them to arrive.

Then another 10 minutes for some proper Fire Fighting equiptment to arrive. (It takes 10 minutes-ish for them to get to ATH, probably another 10 by the time they get through the park)

I couldn't see them getting there in time to prevent any major damage.

_______

[quote=""mattbailey""]Not good news at all. Especially as the busy summer period is starting up without the Skyride.

PLUS We wont be able to get aerial shots of SW6 now :cry:[/quote]

Oh yeah! Secretly it was the SW6 construction team who did it so we couldn't see what the World's First is. :wink:

(Obviously, it wasn't them so please don't sue me Alton.)
Mattt

The Sky Ride is currently unavailable.
That was quick!

With two stations gone up in flames in as many years, would it me Towers Street station with all the gondolas next time?

Fate don't like cable cars!
kitsune

Up side the lazy folk will have to walk.

Being serious its not a good thing if fire strikes like this. It is a big down due to the SW6 site and the vital link it is to parts of the park.

There must be a big problem with none fire prof materials in the buildings and possibly theming of areas.
When life bites your ass just turn and kick it hard in the nuts.
(Gravety is your Nemesis)
Hark

[quote=""mattbailey""]
PLUS We wont be able to get aerial shots of SW6 now :cry:[/quote]

Rita's breakrun =]
Chris W

Logistically for anyone that is visiting tomorrow there shouldn't be any problems.

The area can be blocked off by the toliet block and then blocked off at Burger King.

Logisitically for SW6 construction there may be some problems.

Last I heard was that they were using gates near the station to gain access to the site, if the building is unstable they may not be able to use the new access gates.
Mattt

What could the cause be?

There aint' no halogen lights on now! :?
SEALIFE

Couldent we see if there is going to be a new Skyride there to be one next year? A Newly installed one with better building ect? Because the park do actually need this for Disabled guests ect to make there day easyer.
Altonator

Skyride kept stopping and starting during my visit on Monday (see trip reports) especailly at CCL Station maybe it's connected?

I boarded skyride to go to FV not sure if there was a problem with skyride but it did stop and start a lot the chap at the station was talking to someone about the hydraulics.
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek