SW6 / Thirteen - Viral Marketing/Promotional Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
altongeek

I think it is a necklace.
It looks like she's wearing it anyway.
Khalichanan

Subliminal images can be VERY scary in the right context.

In the films Sunshine and the Exorcist they use them, and it really makes you jump off your seat. They're more noticeable though I believe...I'm hoping I haven't aged so much in the years between my viewing of those films and now, but I really didn't notice that, except for a flash but I didn't think anything of it.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instances_ ... al_message" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instances_ ... al_message[/url]

Moving on, it seems to be one of those necklaces that aren't dangly but more fixed in place :?

When is the next one? Friday is it?

Oh, and when Glee is repeated on Sunday, does anyone think it will have the advert in it again?
Kaz

As far as I am aware it is illegal to use subliminal messaging during advertising within the UK.
wburgess

^ Only when the sole intent of the subliminal message is to sell a product.

For instance a quick flash of KP Nuts wouldn't be allowed!
SheikhSam

cor! being the channel hopper that I am, every channel I've been on, has had the ad every break, MTV, LivingIT, purely much much more :P
Khalichanan

[quote=""Kaz""]As far as I am aware it is illegal to use subliminal messaging during advertising within the UK.[/quote]

I thought that too, but it seems like a stupid mistake on Alton's part, so who knows?
I'm not sure if the law expands to images however...I know it certainly encapsulates subliminal text and audio (essentially audio at a higher frequency than the human ear can consciously hear).

Ah wburgess, beat me to it with a better point!
bohoboy

But they're not messages and therein lies the point.
Khalichanan

[quote=""bohoboy""]But they're not messages and therein lies the point.[/quote]

Yeah, you're right :)
My bad, I'm going too far into this :P

Does anyone know if/when a third blipvert is being shown?
fredward

[quote=""RUBIX-KUBE""]cor! being the channel hopper that I am, every channel I've been on, has had the ad every break, MTV, LivingIT, purely much much more :P[/quote]

you sound as if you flick through channels too watch adverts! :lol:

This ride is reminding me more and more of a horror movie. The whole crypt, the wraiths, this unknown girl, just seems the ingredients for a very scary movie. In fact if it didn't say Alton Towers at the end I would think it was an advert for a horror movie.
davidaiow

^
Off topic, but I always thought that Alton Towers should commission a movie either for BBC or the cinema. Increase gate figures, revenue (if it were good) and local culture and (embellished) history for the surrounding area.

On topic, Great ads, magic is definitely back and I can't wait for the full ones.
Blaze

These adverts really do look like they could be for a movie, Thirteen really is aiming for the stars with the marketing. I can not see it being anything but breath taking when it opens.
James B

Love the adverts simple to the point and effective...this girl has suprised me though, where has she come from!
Evostance

Has anyone got the audio from both blipverts and laid them over each other? Theyre both 5 secs long, and the timing of the words "13" i in the same place on both adverts

I would try but I cant be bothered to install Acid, and Movie Maker doesnt let you do that?
Javs

[quote=""wburgess""]For instance a quick flash of KP Nuts wouldn't be allowed![/quote]

Ha, my favourite post of the year. I love nuts.

But no this is not really subliminal marketing as such, but used more for psychological impact. Great ads! Remind me of the advertising campaigns of the 90's.
J-D

With regard to it being a necklace i can confirm it is:
look at this image

see the clasp on the right that i highlighted

Also the 13 looks remarkably like the letter B or R! (RITA) i wonder why they have made it look like this
Gax

[quote=""J-D""]
Also the 13 looks remarkably like the letter B or R! (RITA) i wonder why they have made it look like this[/quote]

Because it serves as the letters I and R when stylized in the Thirteen logo..

J-D

[quote=""Gax""][quote=""J-D""]
Also the 13 looks remarkably like the letter B or R! (RITA) i wonder why they have made it look like this[/quote]

Because it serves as the letters I and R when stylized in the Thirteen logo..

Image[/quote]

Ahh ok thanks for pointing that out, i never thought about that haha. Oh well
LHN2009

[quote=""Evostance""]Has anyone got the audio from both blipverts and laid them over each other? Theyre both 5 secs long, and the timing of the words "13" i in the same place on both adverts

I would try but I cant be bothered to install Acid, and Movie Maker doesnt let you do that?[/quote]

I've just tried it in audacity, nothing really happens asides from you can hear a scream overthe top of it from the 1st advert. Nothing if you play it backwards, i'll upload it to youtube never the less.
Benedique

[quote=""dudeybrad""]I have just very tragically gone through blivert 2 frame by frame and at some point after the 4th second mark there is a subliminal shot of the girl that is so quick that you cant even see it if you play the video at normal speed. It really freaked me out, it just goes to show how much effort they are putting into this campaign. Here is a screenshot of the frame:

Bear in mind that this is not the blipvert that actually features the girl, its the other one. Perhaps the girl does have a significant role in the story of Thirteen...

Brad[/quote]

I'm thinking she could be someone who has been captured by the wraiths i.e. shes obviously dead and maybe thats why Alton were talking about the controversial age limit as they could be using a projection/hologram of the girl inside the building before you enter the crypt! Maybe thats what will make it so scary she could just appear out of nowhere to startle everyone and obviously Alton wouldn't want children under 16 to be scared by it nor people over 55 to have a heart attack because of it!

By the way i'm aware the age limit isn't actually going to be in place but it would explain the talks of the age limit!
PeteB

Anyone care to run the audio in reverse to see if there's any hidden messages?