SW6 / Thirteen - Viral Marketing/Promotional Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Rollercoaster5000

I don't really like the Sun's AT advert, it doesn't really show off the resort's family image. Hopefully the parks main advert will be good and Thirteen's especially.
Kaz

I was doing some hunting around on the Edexcel website today for some information relating to an exam I am sitting come summer and came across an interesting word document all about the marketing of Alton Towers new ride.

Nothing ground-breaking, but worth a look:

[url=http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocumen ... Towers.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocumen ... Towers.doc[/url]
buffaloBen

Just under 3 weeks to do and hardly any thi3teen promotion :x
There website which should be covered in thi3teen promotions has barely anything on it #-o

They have left it to late if they want buisy gates on march 20th.
Besides the newspaper articles cloud cuckoo land had more promotion on the website.

For as excited as i am i just can't see it being as popular as saw was becasue they havn't bosted about anything. (i know its harder with it been secret but its a worlds first...)
Hey most of the people ive spoke to who arn't big fans of the park but just general visitors, they just think its a big runnaway mine train that some how cost more than saw but isn't an amazing 1.4m ride.

Personly im expecting more than that but thats what a lot of people think.
Just hope the new tv ads promote this ride big!
Lets hope the news reports and hopefully something on Blue peter changes everyones view.
I hope they do a seperate advert for the resort if they do because imagine...
'Ride the ultimate rollercoaster' all epic and then 'stay for days at the alton towers reosrt' in a high pitched kiddie voice. that would be awful lol
Dean

There will be date it all kicks off, which could be 1st March?
Nightfall

[quote=""buffaloBen""]
Besides the newspaper articles cloud cuckoo land had more promotion on the website.
[/quote] A good point, which made me think that the park might not want a busy day on the 20th of March. I would guess opening weekend to be very busy without additional advertising, so why rush.
I remember seeing a lot of SAW adverts last year but only after the park had opened.
[align=center]Image[/align]
buffaloBen

[quote=""Dean""]There will be date it all kicks off, which could be 1st March?[/quote]
I hope that is true! :)

---- Post Info Added ----

[quote=""Nightfall""][quote=""buffaloBen""]
[/quote] A good point, which made me think that the park might not want a busy day on the 20th of March. I would guess opening weekend to be very busy without additional advertising, so why rush.
I remember seeing a lot of SAW adverts last year but only after the park had opened.[/quote]
Yh that is a good point but i just would of thought after half term they would go all out on the website. Just the general theme of it: darker back ground, some roots growing up the piping thats used and some sort of banner to show which links to mini site.
daveslodge

Does AT have any creative input into the Sun ads?

I think the Nemesis ad is great and really shows that AT are going back to the thrill-seeking glory days of the 90s and not going all out on the family focus like the last few years.

Bring on the Thirteen ad! (I reckon these will start at the end of the week when the Sun ads are over)
wehttam8002

Thirteen probably was'nt on the advert for two free tickets because they might not have finished it yet (the inside)..
moog666

Is this s*n advert not onlione yet? If anyone finds it post a link please.

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.
Altonator

The Sun Ad can be seen here :)
[url=http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/thework/n ... tion-WCRS/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/thework/n ... tion-WCRS/[/url]
Hope this helps :)
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
adsyrah

Do we have any word on whether Blue Peter are going to cover the ride in the next couple of weeks?
Islander

[quote=""adsyrah""]Do we have any word on whether Blue Peter are going to cover the ride in the next couple of weeks?[/quote]
I would be a little surprised if they did - the target age for Thirteen seems to be a tad higher than the target age for Blue Peter...
Elliot

Well am I right in saying they did have Saw last year on Blue Peter but just took out the inside section of the video?
AstroDan

Oblivion was more extreme than Th13teen and that was on BP!
AWTSW90

"New ride launches 20 March 2010

Escape to the Alton Towers Resort in 2010 and experience the ultimate world-first rollercoaster TH13TEEN.
The new unbelievable attraction will take visitors on a ride in to the Dark Forest. Never before has so much theme park technology been combined in one fantastically thrilling ride."

From 'YourStaffordshire'
I've posted the full piece and promotional image in the general marketing topic :D
Wes

Bootcamp has been posponed.
yeah just had the email so may be next week or week after then really as they got to give notice plus there wanna hold on for as long as they can etc. Still think we should get a ride even if you dont make it through boot camp bit unfair with all the waiting etc.
adsyrah

Eeek, doesn't bode very well for opening weekend!

Let's hope there's only tweaks and theming that needs finishing off rather than there being a serious technical problem.
Javs

[quote=""AWTSW90""]"New ride launches 20 March 2010

Never before has so much theme park technology been combined in one fantastically thrilling ride."

From 'YourStaffordshire'[/quote]

My goodness, quite a statement. Am trying to look into that quote a little, as how can this surpass rides like Spiderman at Universal for Technology? I am guessing there will be small elements from rides such as this, along with maybe some newer tech around the ride. I know directional speakers and some new 3d projection tech has been bounded around.

Hmmm, the plot thickens!
AstroDan

I received the YS magazine through the letterbox this morning. Nice little article in the "What's On" section. As some have said, I am not sure if it's AT speak or magazine speak! Probably generic blurb.

Made me smile anyway!

:D
robelobe

Has anyone seen the guy on YouTube who thought he had inside info on the ride and created the simulation of what is apparently "the official" ride. Also, Katie Price thinks that the advert that hasn't even been released yet is too offensive? God, she should look at her face! Go Peter lol.
Last edited by robelobe on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robe..LFC...bring on Th13teen