SW6 Ride Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
PeteB

Regarding the worlds first element, I'm sure it will be something significant. Alton Towers have never bullsh!tted us in the way the likes of Blackpool have (Big One and Innfusion come to mind).

...and by BS I mean they could say its the worlds first roller-coaster painted in "purple nurple pink", or worlds first mile long queue line. Whatever it REALLY is, I reckon it will be pretty good.
Skumfidus

I agree with Pete B, it can't be assumed that B&M will NEVER change their track design, but the point remains that there's no use in being excited about a B&M built around the plans that have been approved.

This will be the first ever coaster of this type B&M will have tried, and there is no evidence to suggest it will be any better then any other manufacturer. The only reason B&M have such a reputation is because they have perfected a formula over 4 or 5 ride types, all with the same track, and all but one with exactly the same seat configurations and design.

If B&M were to change their formula completely from box section track, 4 per row configs, the typical B&M style harness and the classic B&M signature elements such as pre-drops and no fancy fluff (which would be the case in SW6)...then this may as well be a brand new, unheard of manufacturer...and I can imagine RANDOM & CO ENGINEERING wouldn't be getting any fanboy love from you guys!

Just a thought no one seems to have touched on.
sean14592

looks awesome, cant wait for it to open next year :P
Javs

Forgive my ignorance, but have B&M done many stand-up/upright rollercoasters?
furie

On the B&M front. B&M are turning away parks because they have enough orders to keep them busy for a few years yet. B&M do a small number fo coasters each year which keeps them afloat.

While they could change their track design, there is no need as they have several years worth of orders for their current track designs. It makes no economical sense for a business with a full order book for years, to make a fundamental change to their core product for a single project. the cost to B&M would be immense, and all Alton would end up doing is paying through the nose for B&M to mimic Premier/Mack/Gerstlauer/MS/Vekoma. It make no sense in any way, shape or form!
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Luce

Forgive my ignorance, but have B&M done many stand-up/upright rollercoasters?
B&M have done 7 stand-up coasters:

[url=http://www.rcdb.com/ir.htm?type=1&contact=1&design=7" target="_blank]http://www.rcdb.com/ir.htm?type=1&contact=1&design=7[/url]

On the subject of SW6, I'm very intrigued by all the speculation surrounding the ride, but until AT themselves reveal the details, I'm going to stay curious :)

Having said that I can't imagine it being a B&M because they haven't really done coasters with unusual elements to them which SW6 will have.
Jonnyc

Dnt no if this has already been posted but SW6 is belived to be a slower ride than corkscrew
PyroMittens

I think the trains MUST do something special tbh. The track just seems too plain for this to be a SW worth coaster. I know there's the special element within the station, but...surely the rest of the right can't be mediocre?

Spinning trains, special ride position...SOMETHING. Has to be. I'm sure.
Jonnyc

Thats what i think the world first will be something to do with the trains
Skumfidus

[quote=""furie""]On the B&M front. B&M are turning away parks because they have enough orders to keep them busy for a few years yet. B&M do a small number fo coasters each year which keeps them afloat.

While they could change their track design, there is no need as they have several years worth of orders for their current track designs. It makes no economical sense for a business with a full order book for years, to make a fundamental change to their core product for a single project. the cost to B&M would be immense, and all Alton would end up doing is paying through the nose for B&M to mimic Premier/Mack/Gerstlauer/MS/Vekoma. It make no sense in any way, shape or form![/quote]

Nail on the head there. Why pay for a custom prototype that's similar if not the same to coasters churned out annually by other manufacturers, all with no guarantee of quality!
AstroDan

[quote=""Jonnyc""]Dnt no if this has already been posted but SW6 is belived to be a slower ride than corkscrew[/quote]

Indeed this was stated at the planning meeting but I believe this was an error in discussion.
Khanage

[quote=""PyroMittens""]I think the trains MUST do something special tbh. The track just seems too plain for this to be a SW worth coaster. I know there's the special element within the station, but...surely the rest of the right can't be mediocre?[/quote]

The track layout for the main bulk of the ride is going to be through the wooded area behind where Corkscrew used to be. Even if the ride isn't immensely fast the sense of speed will be accentuated by rushing closely through the trees and near to the ground. So it may look mediocre but I think it will be a great experience.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

leroy2009jones

New user on youtube DarksDay2010 has commented on Shawns exclusive saying "your doing well my friend"
PyroMittens

[quote=""Khanage""] Even if the ride isn't immensely fast the sense of speed will be accentuated by rushing closely through the trees and near to the ground. So it may look mediocre but I think it will be a great experience.[/quote]
Fair enough it may produce a "sense of speed", but located right next to SW6 is RITA...which gives PURE speed.

And for most people, if not all, actual speed > sense of.

That's why I think it will differ anyway. But, as the old saying goes, we'll see.
Anonymous

I just recieved this email, and thought I would share it with you. Make of it what you want but it doesnt actually say "No" does it?

PyroMittens

[quote=""kryn""]I just recieved this email, and thought I would share it with you. Make of it what you want but it doesnt actually say "No" does it?

[/quote]

I'd say it was a yes...to be quite honest!
Ash

Same here
Sanbrooke Productions

That sounds convincing, this just gets more exciting . :D
Johno

I totally disagree with everybody saying that B&M will never change their track design because it would 'cost millions' and wouldn't benefit them.

If B&M could manufacture smaller coasters for smaller parks, as well as their 'big beasts', then it is a viable prospect for the business to diversify and expand.

They might make a solid consistent profit, but they will want to be thinking about how they can make it even bigger. Look at what Intamin offer as a ride manufacturer, and then think about how B&M have innovated the flyer, inverter, added splash downs, vertical drop coaster etc.
JakFrontier

I think the b&m thing is aload of crap. Premier.