The Lockers!

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
xEmmax

Since it's quite easy to find fault with AT I'd just like to praise them for something which is actually quite trivial.

But I think there system of putting bags/loose article, in their slidy cage things when you board the ride is really good!

I've found other parks abroad operate a much worse system IMO. You have to pay for lockers before you even enter the queue or leave them with a non rider. So your without your bags for the duration of the queue which can be pretty long. Seaowrld wasn't bad only a quarter or so in cost.

But Universals was a right palarva a complicated system of paying and it cost $8 to rent 'time' for a locker! I'm not sure if this was a deposit paid back as the maps claimed they were free, but there were always long queues and masses around them as people figured them out so your queuing before your even in the queue! Of course you can leave them with a non rider, but we couldn't lave all our bags say with one member of our party, who wold be looking after a toddler and a pushchair as well.

On Dueling Dragons you also have to sit on shoes which would slip off like flip flops! You cannot leave them on the platform which is understandable for Health and Safety and you unload a bit further down, but it was pretty uncomfortable!

So yeah this was just a hoorah for AT's system which is one of the things they've got just right IMO
Jon

The only thing about Alton's lockers is that they are not secure, and theft has be known in some cases. While the Universal solution you were describing seems a bit mental, I think a happy medium between the two would be best. In some hatching area, have a cabin where you leave your bags attended with a cloakroom raffel ticket. Have the exit path running next to the other side of the cabin so you can pick it up as you leave.
Formerly "Dagoo"
caffeine_demon

Some of the ones at universal are free for about an hour or 2 (i think it's the one's outside rides where you can't take bags in the queueline), the waterrides, where you can take bags on, cost a bit trhough.

Edit:

The worst I'ver seen was at fort fun in germany - trapper slider (alpine coaster) didn't allow bags on, and the "luggage area" wes a series of coat hooks before you entered the queue - yep open air coat hooks, where anyone can pinch your stuff.... (I took my camera with me, tucked under my coat - no way I'm leaving that behind!").
(the hasenhorn at todtnau let you put bags over the seats back - the seats covering meant there was no chance of it sliding off)
AstroDan

Phantasialand is pretty dire on Winjas Fear and Force. They don't provide baggage cages on the platform, and you are forced to leave anything loose in pay-per-use lockers!

:x
Coke

Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom has the handrail in the middle fitted with a tub inside the circular rail with a waterproof covering on top, to stop valuables getting wet.

Are you thirsty?
AltonThorpe

[quote=""Coke""]Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom has the handrail in the middle fitted with a tub inside the circular rail with a waterproof covering on top, to stop valuables getting wet.[/quote]

That's the same with Bilge-Rat Barges at Universal's Islands of Adventure!
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium
Hark

Blackpool pleasure beach is pretty dire aswell...

They have the tiniest of pigeon holes of one on the PMBO... most bags can't fit so they balance them on those green sand bag type things.
Voni86

I have to say I like the cloakroom style system that Thorpe has in on some rides. Doesn't cost anything, there's staff watching your stuff and is on-ride!
xEmmax

[quote=""Voni86""]I have to say I like the cloakroom style system that Thorpe has in on some rides. Doesn't cost anything, there's staff watching your stuff and is on-ride![/quote]

Good point, I'd forgotten about Thorpes, and I agree, definitely the best system of them all there