Alton Towers & Chavs

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
mattlfc

Went to Alton on Friday, had a great day! Got a decent ride count despite it being rather busy (all the kids seemed to have taken the day off school) - Oblivion x4, Nemmy x3, Air x2, Rita x1, CATCF x1 (always wanted to lol), visited Sharkbait Reef, didnt make Spinball though, but im back there for my birthday on the 7th May so no worries.

Anyway, I have been there loads of times over the past 18 months and never had any problems. But I am a little disappointed with this visit; firstly, our first go on Oblivion, the shuttle after us had some muppet using his camera phone... so we sat in the shuttle waiting to get off for over 30 minutes whilst someone went up to take it off him.

Over the tannoy comes the warnings... "anyone found using a camera on rides will delay the ride for everyone". Erm how about they are just ejected from the park, without refund, as soon as they come off the ride? Why should people who have paid good money suffer delays because of these muppets?

Second problem was ASBO case chavs and Alton's reluctance to do anything about it. Was waiting at the Skyride entrance in the forbidden valley, with numerous other guests. All of a sudden approx 15 scum (only word for them) came up on the bridge and were arsing about, pushing the queue and squashing people. Every one of them had bottles in their hands and to be quite frank, were "pi$$ed". They were pushing and "touching" other guests, and just causing problems in general, as well as being abusive and shouting. The woman in the Skyride would not let anyone off the bridge because she was scared of them (understandable) so she called security.

Whilst waiting for security, one of the nobs thought it appropriate to throw a bottle at people walking under the bridge (not people they knew, just random families etc). Fair enough, at this point one or two of them realised their behaviour had gone too far, and were telling them to pack it in etc, but wtf, the security eventually arrive, two old men, and ask them if anyone had any bottles. They all lied and then the security found all the bottles and took them. The Skyride operator told security she didnt want them on the ride, so security told them to leave the bridge area and that was it!

What the hell? I thought Alton was trying to create a family atmosphere now? So its acceptable for groups of yobs to turn up, get pi$$ed, terrorise other guests and staff, throw glass bottles off bridges at innocent passers-by, and nothing happens to them? If Alton think that sort of crap is going to attract families they have another thing coming! As for security taking about 20 minutes to arrive, that was also pathetic.

Personally, I believe they should not sell alcohol on a family park, where they are trying to attract more and more families with younger children, and where is the responisbility of the licensees. More to the point, why do Alton feel this kind of behaviour is acceptable on the park?

Ill be going back for my birthday and Scarefest the same as last year, but ill be venturing elsewhere during the summer im afraid.

:evil:
April 3rd: Alton | May 7th: Alton | May 23rd: Camelot | June 30th: Thorpe Park | July: Flamingo Land | September: Blackpool Pleasure Beach | October 21st: Alton Scarefest

Maybe Drayton Manor and Camelot during August...
Balb0wa

I wish they would eject people from the park for doing bad things, i dont know why they dont confiscate mobiles from people on oblivion, if they have to stop the ride.

What i dont get is, how do they get the mobile from them?, i suppose they cant if its on the drop and dangling, but they can if its on the way up or on the way round the corner at the top.

I was on the park on friday, it was busy, the que when we got off nemmy about 10.30 was in the overspill trees bit, im sure they were running one train :-( madness.

A group of asians were rowdy when we were quing for a ride,one pushed into me twice. oldest must have been 12 and smoking,the lad thought he was gods gift. I felt like giving him a right hook, but id probably get 15 yrs for it :-)

I think its the pack mentality, people in groups become brave
Last edited by Balb0wa on Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
PETER MOWBRAY

I also experienced some horrible treatment yesterday during our visit to Alton Towers.. [-X
For the latest news and quality updates from Blackpool & The Pleasure Beach look here..
Click on the Domain..! [url=http://www.liveinblackpool.co.uk\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.liveinblackpool.co.uk[/url]
mattlfc

Imho, it should be pretty much zero-tolerance given the market the park is now aiming at. You break the rules, leading to disruption for other guests or are abusive/threatening to staff, and you are ejected without refund, simple as.

Maybe im just hardlined, but I, but why should the majority always suffer because of the actions of the (very very small) minority.
April 3rd: Alton | May 7th: Alton | May 23rd: Camelot | June 30th: Thorpe Park | July: Flamingo Land | September: Blackpool Pleasure Beach | October 21st: Alton Scarefest

Khanage

Sorry to hear about your experience Matt. I have never experienced that at the Towers but I did at Thorpe Park. Stuff like groups of kids pushing and shoving through the queues and people being too frightened to tell them otherwise.

As for the drinking on park, I don't have anything against them selling alcohol on park but it should be consumed on the premises of the establishment that provided it and bottles should not be sold. In fact I personally wouldn't mind if alcohol was only sold with the meals in the restaurants on park. I suppose though that some people like to have a drink during the day though and any rule stopping those who drink responsibly would be unfair.

What you have said is actually disgusting behaviour, absolutely disgusting. Alton Towers should take a really strict stance on people who cause trouble and eject them from the park immediately.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Dave

Does the park not eject trouble makers for stuff liek useing cameras on rides now?

the Signs on Ritas platform say if you use a camera on the ride it will delay the ride up to 30 minutes and will result in your removal from the park... is this not apoilicy they are using anymore then? :(
mattlfc

I noticed that on a sign when we went onto Oblivion later in the day, though nobody from the offending shuttle was apprehended when they got off the ride. It would decrease more if the announcement they play over the tannoys mentioned you would be ejected from the park without refund.

I wish/hope he was, it was only about 10:00 am when he was caught, because we got off the ride about 10:20, so it would have meant he had ot got to enjoy even half an hour in the park.

With regards the yobs, I think the thing that makes it worse was they were all between the ages of 18 and 24; there were lots of couples and young kids (between 12 and 16 id say) in the queue and they were just getting abused. Im sorry, but how the security can see throwing a bottle off a bridge at innocent passers-by as acceptable, is beyond belief. The yobs admitted it, they were the only people with bottles to do it, and yet the security were talking to them like one would to your best mates. If the bottle had hit someone, who know's the injuries it could have caused, would it be so acceptable then?

If it had hit a child or a toddler, would Alton really like that in the news just so they can encourage a few chavs to spend a bit of money in the park?

Ive always felt safe and secure at Alton, very warm and welcoming atmosphere (bar some staff member on Corkie who was obviously having an offday and was a bit off with us last scarefest), but if this is the way its going, then its very sad to see. The response of the park to incidents like this, is always a good indicator as to how they value their guests. I guess money is more important now, hence the parking charge increase lol?

Johno

You should have gone to the main desk and asked to speak to someone at management level straight away.

You'd have probably got some free tickets and an apology out of it.
mattlfc

I should have, I agree, but we were more interested in just having a good time and trying not to let their actions dent our day. We should have gone at the end of the day looking back on it, but we never thought about it, we had cheered up by then thanks to a mixture of Blivvy and Rita lol.

I will be sending an official complaint via the feedback form though.

Chris W

The security at Alton Towers isn't great really. I've read stories in the past were there has been trouble but the security either arrive late or do very little.

I've personally never experienced any trouble in numerous visits since 1998.

I think it would be better to send a letter rather an e-mail, companies tend to take letters more serious than e-mails.
rightbackgranty

Its a great pity about the trouble that you see on the park. Considering Alton Towers is pushing for a family image, I think that there should be a zero tolerance policy with trouble makers. Ejecting them from the park would be a nice start.

I went the other day, and was pleasantly surprised not to see any trouble all day. Then I remembered shcools weren't off yet. I was hoping that the family atmosphere would persist but perhaps not.
PETER MOWBRAY

[quote=""Johno""]You should have gone to the main desk and asked to speak to someone at management level straight away.

You'd have probably got some free tickets and an apology out of it.[/quote]

Please tell me your having a laugh.. :roll:

My recent experiences of guest relations leave a lot to be desired.. :x
Peter
For the latest news and quality updates from Blackpool & The Pleasure Beach look here..
Click on the Domain..! [url=http://www.liveinblackpool.co.uk\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.liveinblackpool.co.uk[/url]
Joe Koopa

This is quite shocking really, esspecally from Alton. I thought Thorpe Park were the one's with the chav-problem. :roll: Esppecally after the lack of what the security did, they really need to remove people from the park refundless.

The rules are the rules, there's not point laying them down if you're going to let people get away wth them :ashamed:.

Sorry about your bad visit, Matt. :shock:
NickT04

I think alcohol should stop being sold at the theme park too. Your there (and paid good money) to enjoy the rides at the park, not to spent further money on drinking alcohol. I wonder which one of those chavs was responsible for driving home or however they got there.

My mates once had a drink outside Oblivion because "they had to have one". I don't drink at all so I was pretty hacked off at having to wait for them to drink alcohol. It maybe because I don't drink but in my eyes if you can't go a day at Alton Towers without alcohol you need to have a look at yourself. Ok some people do drink responsibly but having a Coke isntead of a Carling for one day isn't going to hurt.
Balb0wa

i enjoy a pint at the towers, sitting outside ritas in the sun , lovelly :-)
NickT04

Putting it like that, even as a non-drinker that sounds nice haha. Maybe some of my comments were OTT i just get frustrated by people who say they can't get along without anything but alcohol!
Johno

[quote=""PETER MOWBRAY""][quote=""Johno""]You should have gone to the main desk and asked to speak to someone at management level straight away.

Peter[/quote]

Bah, you just keep asking to refer it higher and higher.

Until somebody realises that you just want to be compensated.
PETER MOWBRAY

[quote=""Johno""][quote=""PETER MOWBRAY""][quote=""Johno""]You should have gone to the main desk and asked to speak to someone at management level straight away.

Peter[/quote]

Bah, you just keep asking to refer it higher and higher.

Until somebody realises that you just want to be compensated.[/quote]

Johno we tried that yesterday but to no avail..
Peter
Jon

It amazes me how these people pay to get in the park and completely waste their money in this way. Shocking.

That is awful what you have described, but thankfully I think the incident is fairly isolated. Considering the enormas amount of people that pass through the gates, I'd say cases such as this are fairly low. I've found that, as everyone is there for the same reason, everyone wants to be friendly with each other. Aparently this isn't the case here. URGH.
Formerly "Dagoo"
Mr_Nemesis

i'm taking it that security were at towers street, so why didn't they just get the skyride?