2010: Secret Weapon Six Part Three

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Chris W

There are other manufacturers than B&M, a lot of the world's best rides aren't B&M.
The whole project being a success or not doesn't depend on the ride being B&M.

B&M only make the skeleton, its people like John Wardly who make the ride what it is.
Corkscrewed

I don't want another B&M. Having another manufacturer take on such a big project will A. be much more interesting to follow, and B. give us a different ride experience from what a B&M would offer.

Don't get me wrong, I love the monsters they create, but it's boring just having pretty much one manufacturer in a park, it's much more fun when it's a little more varied.

Although I'm not a big fan of vekoma, I still would like one of theres in the park. Just thought I'd throw that in =]
furie

Vekoma track is wrong sadly. It's still not totally out of the question though.

I'd say rough percentage chances of manufacturers are:

40% Premier
20% Mack
20% Gerstlaur
10% Intamin
10% Vekoma

Though personally, I am convinced it's Premier, but I can't prove it beyond the fact it just "fits".
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Corkscrewed

Yeah I know it doesn't fit with the plans. But still, would be nice.
furie

To be honest, manufacturer doesn't really bother me. The ride seems to be all about what is hidden inside the building. That "world's first" element.

That is what gets me excited about this project. The ride is pretty simple (in essence), so ANY manufacturer will do a pretty similar job on that front.

However, it's the Alton team working with them to make that special bit which is exciting and intriguing...
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
billyrae

[quote=""PeteB""]I know everyone keeps saying "its not a B&M" but did B&M actually announce their new ride concept which was supposed to be revealed in November 2008 for a major UK themepark?

I couldn't find any information about it so I'm wondering if Merlin asked them to keep quiet about it until the planning was approved?[/quote]

There is info out there.The new concept was or is to be used in a UK park in 2010.

---- Post Info Added ----

The plan will have to be adhered to. If they dump in B&M track now, they will have to cut down more trees (B&M track and trains being wider).

Oh come on :x Please just think about what you just said
NickT04

I don't care who builds it - as long it's a great ride that'll do me :D
Chris W

Can anyone link to the place were everyone has decided B&M's new concept is for the UK?

I thought there was a rumour about a new concept and then everyone decided it was Alton.
Nobody knows that the supposed concept is for Alton or not. Its the same as calling the ride SW6 when nobody knows if it is or not.

____

EDIT: The video of the meeting is now up on the Staffordshire Council website.

Link.
SAM93

I had an idea for a marketing plan, for within the park...

How about having a mysterious hooded figure, similar to this one [url=" target="_blank][/url], walking around Ug land in 2009.

Then possibly throughout the season progressing around the rest of the park etc.
Alton Buzz

Interesting...
''The nosier sections of the ride being enclosed within the building.''
Edit: Interesting idea Sam but I would rather the character stay within the area rather than wander round the park.
Where the magic never ends.
And.

Personally, whether it's a B&M, Vekoma, Premier or whatever - I don't care who the manufacturer of the ride is. Simple fact being, I'm pretty confident we'll have a great ride experience with this new ride.

That's what matters at the end of the day.

People don't go on Oblivion because it's a B&M. They go for the experience of that ride. The same will be true of this ride, regardless of who has built it.
Mattmash

Thanks for posting the link to the meeting, very intersting stuff, just watching it now. Cllr Michael Worthington f t w! :D
AstroDan

Mark Kerrigan states that the ride will have two trains. This rules out Gerstlauer Eurofighter's immediately.

:)
davidaiow

I disagree. Oblivion created by another manufacturer with a different track type would be completely different and dare I say not have the same effect. That is why Oblvion's drop beats those of Saw despite the more than 90degree element...I feel.
Johno

Having bounced the body around until it can take no more, roller coasters may start messing with the mind.
That's from the Thrill Laboratory guy who commented on Thorpes coaster.

Perhaps we will see something weird Hex-like for SW6?
Stern John

Hello, been lurking on here for quite a while now and was thinking it's about time I post something!
Great news about the planning being approved for SW6, exciting times!
Just got back from Florida and if this ride is going to be anything like The Mummy at Universal Studios with an outdoor section we're in for a treat!
Can't wait
Roll on 2010!
NickT04

Well I'm not going to get that hour back but surprised to see it got 12/12 who were "for" the coaster!
Sanbrooke Productions

It's great to be able to watch the meeting back. :D
Rob L

It was very interesting watching the meeting and some very good points were made. Hearing the man who was saying about how he thinks that Alton Towers should be allowed to have fireworks and that young people should be allowed to have fun was a breath of fresh air.

I also think that the fact that this will be a replacement coaster and the current economic climate played a big part in this getting planning permission. Now I just can't wait for construction to start, going on Rita towards the end of the season could be interesting as you'll get a good view of the construction site.

leroy2009jones

[quote=""And.""]Personally, whether it's a B&M, Vekoma, Premier or whatever - I don't care who the manufacturer of the ride is. Simple fact being, I'm pretty confident we'll have a great ride experience with this new ride.

That's what matters at the end of the day.

People don't go on Oblivion because it's a B&M. They go for the experience of that ride. The same will be true of this ride, regardless of who has built it.[/quote]

No one's saying its going to be a crap ride unless B&M build it, people are just discussing who the ride manufacturer might be. Are we not allowed to do that?