2010: Secret Weapon Six Part Three

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Skumfidus

The minutes themselves won't be out for usually about 15 - 20 days, but as is usually the case with these things, the majority of content regarding towers will be left out, other then confirmation of the items set out in the agenda, and just quick notes to point out that particular objections have been resolved. I've had to get my info from independant notes, and all they say is that the meeting went pretty much as the agenda says it will!
deeve

I was online when the news broke. How fantastic. I tried FOI request about x sector and was given a email address and got an out of hours reply. Does this area know full into this planning exempt situation like UG land does. For instance if they wanted to add a small flat ride in can they do that.
leroy2009jones

Anyone know how long the archeological work will take?
And.

[quote=""leroy2009jones""]Anyone know how long the archeological work will take?[/quote]

Get Time Team in and it'll be done in a week! :D

Seriously though, I'd say no more than 4 - 6 weeks depending on the scale of the archeological work.
Anonymous

[quote=""And.""]Get Time Team in and it'll be done in a week![/quote]

Get Changing Rooms down there, will be done in 1/2 hour.
furie

[quote=""Scott7302""]well in my view thats another reason against it being a B&M, also I have a feeling Merlin have a 2 purchase order with Gerstlauer as previously said, not to mention the track looks like Gerstlauer on the plans. I personally hope it is, I like the look of the saw track in thorpe, B&M is too chunky, and well theTowers already have 3 lol.[/quote]

Gerstlaur aren't out of the running, but it would be odd for them to run Eurofighter trains without inversions.

Everything about this so far just looks absolutely spot on to what Premier do.
- Track Type - check
- No inversions - check
- Twisting track - check
- relatively long cars - check
- connected to "theme" - check
- "novelty" section - check
- potential launch - check

It just kind of fits a template of the work Premier does, but Gerstlaur could be doing something they haven't before. I just think it's doubtful they'd overlook a company which do 100% what they want (and have done for years), for a company which will promise to do it for them, but haven't don eit yet. From a business perspective, it doesn't make massive sense...
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Anonymous

Surprised nobody has mentioned Mack yet? :wink:
furie

True, Mack are a possibility, but they don't really have anything in their product catalogue to compare this too - so it's difficult to really make a good decision.

Like Gerstlaur, they're also not quite in that "perfect fit" place.
Vicky-Leigh

Sorry to reiterate what a few people have already said, but I've not been online for two days (and have missed all the excitment!)
I just want to say I am so pleased that the plans have been approved, with all the problems AT has with the locals, I am relieved!
And am excited as this will be the first 'Big' project I'll be following as part of TTF. x
I\'m contemplating thinking about thinking.
It\'s overated, just get another drink in.
stretchy

Regarding Marketing

How about every so often (once every half day or so) they have one of their actors dressed in archaeological outfit run out of the forest area excitedly Asking people if they knew where the project leader was as they have made an amazing discovery. Get people talking in the queues of Rita. If people in one queue start talking then talk spreads.

I remember talking to mates that I was told off by the orange security man when oblivion was being built.

I also think a similar to oblivions approach of having a security guard telling people that the area is out of bounds due to an archaeological find. Maybe this guard could only appear for the few hours after the archaeologist comes out.
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
Scott7302

Yeah they could defo use the archaeologist find to their advantage story wise, I have a feeling they will.

What I like about Merlin is they seem to care more about the story than Tussauds did, well especially towards the end minus a few of course (eg Hex). Air is a great ride but it doesn't have any real story to it, I love rides that have stories, this is why I love Disney parks!
Saw looks really good, can't wait to ride it on Sunday, and it seems the new Alton coaster will be the same.
jammat

Who makes Saw? I wouldn't be surprised if this was a sister coaster.
Scott7302

the ride is constructed by Gerstlauer, if I was to bet whos to make sw6 I would say them. I know it does not have inversions, but don't forget there is a worlds first element here, which they might see as a replacement for the inversions.

Also I think the Eurofighter cars will be good for the banked turns/helix...
PeteB

I know everyone keeps saying "its not a B&M" but did B&M actually announce their new ride concept which was supposed to be revealed in November 2008 for a major UK themepark?

I couldn't find any information about it so I'm wondering if Merlin asked them to keep quiet about it until the planning was approved?
adsyrah

Are people 100% sure there are no inversions?

There my be one in the building for all we know!
MPDarby

I would love to see another Oblivion like marketing campaign but realistically I can't see this happening with it being built right next to Rita and also the Skyride will offer pretty good views of the area even if the windows are tinted!

The excitement starts here! :D
Thanks for riding the Runaway Minetrain, we hope you enjoyed your trip. Choo! Choo!
Wes

Marketing?

Viral. Viral. Viral. Viral. Viral.

With an actual marketing plan - Not just thrown together like Thorpe Park's.
furie

[quote=""PeteB""]I know everyone keeps saying "its not a B&M" but did B&M actually announce their new ride concept which was supposed to be revealed in November 2008 for a major UK themepark?

I couldn't find any information about it so I'm wondering if Merlin asked them to keep quiet about it until the planning was approved?[/quote]

Nope nothing was revealed, but as I said in the last topic, the track is too far away from anything B&M do. For them to manufacture track in this manner, they would have to change their entire process of producing track (fabrication), modeling, design everything. There would also have to be completely new trains. It's essentially a complete and utter brand new ride type from B&M.

B&M have done it before of course. Inverts, Dive machines and fliers (they also have the floorless and stand ups, but they are essentially a mod to the standard multi-looper system). However, they all use exceptionally similar track design, and each one has brought something obviously different to the table. What about this ride jumps out and says "this is something brand new to the roller coaster world B&M are bringing to us. Something unlike anything has ever done before to make a complete and massive change to everything B&M does and at a massive cost to B&M to develop!"

The answer of course is that there's nothing in this ride to justify to enormous costs to B&M to utterly change everything they do as a company.

I can't see B&M suddenly doing that to enter a competition producing small rides up against the likes of Gerstlaur, Maurer, Vekoma, Mack and Premier. A massive investment to enter into an area of high competition is business suicide.
leroy2009jones

I know people are doubting it being a B&M due to the plans on SMDC, but I feel the track plans are too generic. I don't think they actually reflect the actual finished product, as they will have drawn up the plans initially to put to the Council.
These plans are from the landscape company don't forget, not the actual manufacturer.
Why would alton divert from the norm when B&M have a successful track record with all their previous rides here?
Just some food for thought..
furie

The plan will have to be adhered to. If they dump in B&M track now, they will have to cut down more trees (B&M track and trains being wider). Also, the supports for B&M will be massively different, so again, more trees affected, and different holes dug into the ground.

The station would also have to be redesigned to accommodate the wider track and trains.

So, for it to be B&M, the entire submitted plans would have to be changed almost completely, and then resubmitted for approval.

So no, sorry, not B&M...