2010: Secret Weapon Six Part Three

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
BSwiss

I like that idea Dagoo, maybe having it partially uncovered as if they are in the process of digging it up.

If they are to have actors like the guard at Oblivion, I feel they should faux-excavators. Digging about and make it seem as if something genuine is being discovered there.
eddyfenton

Planning presentation (agenda item 6, Alton Towers):-

[url=http://www.staffsmoorlands.public-i.tv/ ... =24208&s=4" target="_blank]http://www.staffsmoorlands.public-i.tv/ ... =24208&s=4[/url]

You'll like slide 6 as it shows parts of the Corkscrew and the cleared area which hasn't been seen before as far as I know. Slide 7 shows a typical travel path of the new coaster when it moves into the woods?

Looking at slide 5 the track layout looks different compared to before?

The webcast of the entire meeting will be available to view soon, once it's finished archiving. This will give you some context of the slides etc:-

[url=http://www.staffsmoorlands.public-i.tv/ ... bcasts.php" target="_blank]http://www.staffsmoorlands.public-i.tv/ ... bcasts.php[/url]

Cheers,

Ed.
AstroDan

Very nice! Can't wait for today's to go up, will be fascinating to see what they said, and about the conditions.

:)
And.

[quote=""Dagoo""]
I think that single statue in the very middle of the area until construction means it needs to be moved, would be highly effective.

I keep thinking that its way far in the future. But its really not. This time next season kids!
[/quote]

I like that idea - the area could be added to over time so that archaeology tents, caution tape, warning signs etc could appear with and around the statue.

:)
Johno

Blink episode of Dr Who.

I'd just love to see a load of 'overgrown' shrubs, and a single statue in the middle of them.

Perhaps with a note in it's hand saying 2010.
Marky_Boy

Ooooo.... it's all exciting! Saw opens today (well for the selected few hehe), Alton back open in 2 weeks, and now this! 2009 is going to be a great season of expectation, I really hope AT go to town with the marketing. Roll on SW6!
Rob L

Very pleased that it's been approved but I was expecting it to be. Now we can really start looking forward to 2010, there's no more ifs and buts about the ride happening or not. We're in for a very exciting year!

Hopefully Alton will now put something onto the map about a new coaster for 2010 and you've got to think that they will do something like this. Marketing for the ride will be key, they need to make a big deal over the whole project and make sure that everyone knows that Alton Towers are opening a new coaster next year.

:D

Kaycee

Yaaaaaay! Well done to the team at Towers... it's not easy getting a major new project planning permission - they seem to have all the obstacles possible!

Going to be a very interesting year - I'd LOVE some sort of marketing campaign akin to Oblivion's, but I doubt it! Maybe they might go down Thorpe's route and actively post construction updates themselves? We can dream, hehe. :D :D
haydn!

[quote=""eddyfenton""]Looking at slide 5 the track layout looks different compared to before?[/quote]

Slide five, the red line isn't the ride layout. It outlines the overall site the development covers.
Last edited by haydn! on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott7302

Hey I am new to this Forum, I had to sign up when I opened the link eddyfendon posted.

He mentioned that the track layout looks different, I have to say I agree!

Has anyone noticed the A shape to the right of the drawing. Also alot more of the ride is in the woods that I thought. It comes back on itself also from what I can tell. It could just be a bad edit etc. The switchbacks seem to be further spread that I thought also.

Does anyone agree? I can't believe no one has even mentioned it yet lol
haydn!

*cough* post above *cough*
Jon

That red line shows the entire perametre of the ride, including track station and queue. It is not the track layout. That long part jutting out is the first straight of queue.
Formerly "Dagoo"
Moley

Billboards of the statue with the park logo in the corner, TV adverts made to look like they are interrupting the normal service (graining in and out), similar sort of thing during park music...

...I can dream right? :P
Last edited by Moley on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott7302

*cough* I was posting when you typed that hehe... Ah and theres me thinking something had changed. So the queue is completely in the woods, thats good, they can isolate the area and get a good feel to it.
Skumfidus

The minutes don't give much away, only things I could extract were these

-Track, Supports and Cars will be muted colours to reduce impact
-Towers have promised the sum of £100,000 for additional Woodland management
-Towers have promised the sum of £50,000 towards off-site highway improvements
-Towers will be under strict guidelines regarding noise (could we see the issue of noise that plagues X Sector?)
-Towers must implement Archaeological works before any construction begins

All pretty much the same info as the last meeting!

EDIT - And my letter was in the Late Reps!
Corkscrewed

Anyone want to bet me 10 quid that sometime in the next day or two, theres gonna be a article about how "The planning decision has angered local residents"? :lol:

I want to see this virally marketed, I think (If the theme is what we think it is) this could potentially be the most effective way to do it...

... Kinda like the early SAW videos attempted to do, but better.

:D
Scott7302

well in my view thats another reason against it being a B&M, also I have a feeling Merlin have a 2 purchase order with Gerstlauer as previously said, not to mention the track looks like Gerstlauer on the plans. I personally hope it is, I like the look of the saw track in thorpe, B&M is too chunky, and well theTowers already have 3 lol.
PeteB

[quote=""Scott7302""]well in my view thats another reason against it being a B&M, also I have a feeling Merlin have a 2 purchase order with Gerstlauer as previously said, not to mention the track looks like Gerstlauer on the plans. I personally hope it is, I like the look of the saw track in thorpe, B&M is too chunky, and well theTowers already have 3 lol.[/quote]

One can never have too many B&M's!

I'm so pleased this has been approved, can't wait to see some construction!
Anonymous

Where are these minutes?
PeteB

anyone else think the theming will carry on from Hex? Gothic towers-like buildings, scaffolding and a hint of something dark and sinister. Hmm..... :?