Oblivion - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
nemesisrocks!

Oblivion has a stupid q wait as it said on the board that tells u q time and it said 20mins and when i got in the q it was a wait of an 1 hour and 5mins
Reckless And Relentless - Asking Alexandria
athia

i have just being reading and i found out that the dont look down sign on the floor for oblivion has been removed is this true?
Last edited by athia on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATR09

Which one?

The painted one on the ground under the drop is still there.

I don't know of any others? :?
Kaycee

Topic merged with the existing Oblivion one - please search for existing topics before making a new one, especially for a quick question! :)

The 'Don't Look Down' sign by the hole is still there, it's the audio at the top of the drop that was removed due to noise complaints.
jam&lob

There's quite an interesting video on youtube about the designing and building of Oblivion. If you go to 4 minutes you can see how deep the hole is. :D

[url=" target="_blank][/url]
Please visit The Online Games Directory
http://www.freewebs.com/togd/
Jelka

[quote=""jam&lob""]There's quite an interesting video on youtube about the designing and building of Oblivion. If you go to 4 minutes you can see how deep the hole is. :D

[url=" target="_blank][/url][/quote]

Oh yes, I have seen this video. It is really interesting to see the depth of the hole like that and so clearly. Thanks for posting the link. :)
Don\'t just wish upon a star, reach for one...
Formerly known as \'towersmagic\'
mitch1e

[quote=""skelly""]I am one of those people just too scared to go on it. It just strikes me with fear. I think it is an awesome ride,the whole buzz it gives off as you enter X sector is something a lot of other parks must be in envy of. I have been on what a lot of people would term more gut wrenching coasters throughout the world, but just can't pluck up the courage for oblivion.
[/quote]

I'm the same, just wish i could pluck up the courage to go on it.

---- Post Info Added ----

Can i just ask, i know the drop is 180ft and it is vertical, but does it stay vertical in the tunnel or does it start to turn out ?
Image THANKS TO JLTON
furie

It starts to turn flat literally a few meters inside the tunnel. You can see the track bend if you look through the mist (or if it's off).

Pluck up the courage. I took two Oblivion Virgins with me last Tuesday and both wanted to chicken out. The stayed and both came off wanting to just run round and do it again. The ride is a real buzz, and well worth conquering your fear of.
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
DiogoJ42

Forcing myself onto Oblivion is what turned me from a 'guy who enjoys coasters' into a 'coaster nut'!
Do it, you won't regret it!
NF2

I feel the same way, I first rode Oblivion in 2003 when I was 10, and it launched my enthusiasm from there. Not to mention the fact i've never felt scared since when boarding a coaster, including bigger rides abroad, as Oblivion manages to seem more intimidating to a first time rider than any other i've seen. Shiekra, which I rode on opening day, is bigger, faster, steeper and more advanced than Blivvy, but is trounced when you com[pare how intimidating the two are!

At 10, the only other large coaster, excluding the Corkscrew, I had ridden was the Ultimate, so Oblivion was a huge step forward for me. It took about an hour to get me on it, not to mention I said a little prayer whilst on the lift hill :oops:, but afterwards I loved it so much by the time 2004 came around I had ridden it over 15 times. It is terrifying I admit, but i've introduced at least 5 people to the ride and all agree that when you just face your fear and do it, you have no regrets whatsoever :D
Gloomy Dude

This picture gives a good indication of how the track curves. Before I first went on Oblivion, I spent ages and ages staring at pictures like that, trying to convince myself it 'didn't look that bad'. Now, I look at the same pictures and try and convince myself it looks scarier than it is. Your first go is such an incredible rush. My girlfriend and I took until the last 15 minutes before ride close, on day 2, of a 2 day visit, from rather a long way away from the Towers to force ourselves on.

Let me tell you, we legged it back up that queue after.
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
mitch1e

Thank you guys I will see if I can pluck up the courage when we go back for scarfest, will let you all know :D
Image THANKS TO JLTON
nemesisrocks!

My days are great there i am 11 and have been on Oblivion, Nemesis, Rita and Air. I love them all and Oblivion is more enjoyable than I thought. I love it although it still gives me the chills brrr. Rita is a bit rougher than I thought although a good ride, I had my eyes closed first time haha. Air isn't scary but it feels awesome; it is fun and you can feel like you're in flight. Last but definitely not least Nemesis is the best ride there and the best experience. I sat at the back and felt sick afterwards lol. It is awesome now I'm tall enough for them all woohoo.
Last edited by nemesisrocks! on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reckless And Relentless - Asking Alexandria
jomo1993

[quote=""nemesisrocks!""]i sat at the back and felt sick afterwards lol. .[/quote]

Believe you me, the front makes you feel a hell of a lot sicker. I nearly threw up all over myself on the brake run on front row, but i swallowed it again [-o< [-o< [-o<
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Chris W

I actually lied to my mates that I had been on Oblivion, when I actually hadn't. I finally got onto it due to peer pressure. :P

Oblivion is scarier than Nemesis and is the only ride that still gives me a feeling of being terrified.

I love you Oblivion.
Gloomy Dude

I remember my first time on Oblivion, I literally felt like I was going to vomit with fear from the top of the lift hill until the holding brake. Not that this will help convince anyone onto it, but the point is, after a go or two, it's not scary at all. Just unbelievably fun :D
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
mitch1e

I am still trying to convience myself to try it. Got until October to do it, if not there is always next summer. Do they hold you up there for longer during scarfest does anyone know?
Image THANKS TO JLTON
kingda dude

I know they sometimes don't hold you up there in summer but I have never known it to be much longer than three seconds, ever.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
DiogoJ42

The hold is always long enough to say
"DON'T....
LOOK....
DOWN!"
In your head.

Or do what I do, and shout it at the top of your voice in the direction of the Ropers house! :lol:
Jelka

[quote=""mitch1e""]I am still trying to convience myself to try it. Got until October to do it, if not there is always next summer. Do they hold you up there for longer during scarfest does anyone know?[/quote]

mit1e, I am going to Alton Towers in about a week and I am still trying to convince myself to go on it. I hope to though because it must be an amazing experience. :D :D :D I guess if I don't like it, it is only a very short period of time that I will be on the ride. I am sure I will love it though!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Don\'t just wish upon a star, reach for one...
Formerly known as \'towersmagic\'