Oblivion - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AstroDan

Oblivion's capacity is 6-700 per hour more than Nemesis and Air, and 8-900 more than Rita! Hence why the queue is never quite as long.
Vicky-Leigh

[quote=""Crofty""]I think Oblivion has the edge over it's rival purely because the up close and in your face element. You can rarely stand that close to a coaster that you feel the rush of air in your face as it flys past. The size of the track makes it stand out in it's self.
Oblivion is also well suited to the area with the steep slopes of X-sector, I think it'll be around for a good few years to come yet.

:D :D[/quote]
I would completely agree with this, and other posts - Oblivion for me still holds the 'fear' factor, even though I've ridden it countless times it still has a thrill. But I do miss the 'Don't Look Down'... :(
I\'m contemplating thinking about thinking.
It\'s overated, just get another drink in.
davidaiow

I don't want to them to move it until I've had the pleasure of experiencing it under a new pain job, a louder clunking, a long hold and the don't look down. Oblivion how it should be. Once I experience that I will be happy :)

Then again if they did that, maybe more people would be attracted to it!
Smith001

Air wasn't ready in 2002, nevermind in 1998.
This is very true. :cry:
Removed : To boring to display.
Hardstlye

I like Oblivion, but now the dive machines have evolved it looks rather bland and tame.

I cant see it being improved, it will simply just be removed and something will take its place, with the gigantic hole being filled.

It shall be some time before this happens though, its still a crowd pleaser !
CoasterCrazyChris

They could add the heart rate monitors and what not, like suggested a bit back on this forum, then remove the arcades in "X-Cite" and that could be the area where you see all your results and stuff. The ride could be renamed "Oblivion 0.2". A bit gimmicky I know, but still, an improvement.
skelly

[quote=""furie""]It's the sheer scale of Oblivion and, as Crofty said, the way you're so close to it.

Nothing really compares to the noise and sight of it as you enter X-Sector. It's massive, and the trains roaring into the hole and vanishing, with the screams is actually quite stunning. I still know people who just point blank will not go near Oblivion, despite doing pretty much anything else anywhere in the world.

It's got a lot of life left in it yet, and a lot more newcomers to scare before it leaves X-Sector. Remember, the nearest Dive Machine is still a long way off and out of the reach of most visitors to UK theme parks.[/quote]

I am one of those people just too scared to go on it. It just strikes me with fear. I think it is an awesome ride,the whole buzz it gives off as you enter X sector is something a lot of other parks must be in envy of. I have been on what a lot of people would term more gut wrenching coasters throughout the world, but just can't pluck up the courage for oblivion.
I cannot see it removed for years and years, it would cost a fortune to do so at anytime. Its not as if it could be removed and sold on to another park easily as its a total one off unlike rides such as corkscrew or Black hole (not that I am implying they were sold off to other parks) which could easily be rebuilt elsewhere.
Smith001

Oblivion is shocking, I went on it once. I would never go on it again, I prefer air
Removed : To boring to display.
adamtoonarmy

I have been on two B & M dive machines, Oblivion and Seikra in Busch Gardens, Tampa. I was extreemely nervous when going on both for the first time and while Sheikra has two drops and an inversion, Oblivion has other things going for it. Oblivions theming, queue line and architecture is in my opinion far superior and it dominates x-sector. The first thing you hear when approaching the area is the 'clanking' of the lift hill and the brake chain above the drop and its also the first ride you see. Then, as already mentioned above you can get so close to the dropping trains that you feel like you can almost touch them. While Sheikras second drop is into a tunnel, this is above ground and oblivions is underground. With Oblivion, AT did what it usually does and got the theming spot on, it really adds to the experience. Oblivion is the only one of AT's coasters that still freaks me out when I ride. Sheikra has now gone floorless (it hadnt when I rode) is this something AT could do with Oblivion? It would certainly add to the ride and give it a new aspect.
Ridecount 2009:
Mr P

i think blivy should be given aa little extension, over-banked curve to the left followed by barrel roll, small dive down into a room full of strobes 'n' stuff, the banked corner out, over x-sector and into the current brake-run. shift enterprise to where the BH tent is so it sits in the over banked curve (like it does now)and then you done!
Kaycee

There really is absolutely nothing like Oblivion in the UK. People are terrified of the ride. It plays so successfully on your fears in a way unlike any other coaster I can think of.

I personally find Oblivion's drop more thrilling than Speed or Saw's anyday - I'm not sure why, but I do! The entire ride is so huge and imposing - the effect of walking into X-Sector and being confronted with Oblivion and its drop is very different - and a lot more effective I think - than walking into the area round Saw and seeing the drop.
Crofty

Agreed, The track is just so huge and this is added to because you can get really close to it, something you don't do with most coasters.

I'm always afraid Oblivion will kill me one day!
Rob L

Also I think the fact that it's just one big drop adds a lot to the effect, I'm not sure it would be quite the same if there was loads more track with inversions after the drop. It scare me more than Nemesis and I still have second thoughts about being on it when the trains's at the top and about to drop! A great coaster though.

AstroDan

When you stand right by the pit, literally inches from the falling shuttle, with the mist billowing - there really is nothing quite like Oblivion.

It's a ride that provokes awe amongst its riders, and spectators. It's so focussed on the drop, that it becomes a hideous weapon like feature.
Luce

I reckon you can't beat the fantastic rush of excitement as you go into the hole and out the other side - even after the many rides I've had on Oblivion over the years, that bit is still thrilling every time :)
bobblebob

Anyone seen the new camera's on Oblivion?
nemesisrocks!

Oblivion is great fun but it scares the hell out of you i cant believe the dont look down voice got taken all because of the complaining whining residents why dont they buy earmuffs lol :lol:
Reckless And Relentless - Asking Alexandria
Rathaus

I would say that Oblivion still has about 15 years left in it. If it got taken out it would just about be the end of X-Sector.....the ride isn't themed to the area, the area is themed to the ride. Would be cool if something was done with Black Hole tent, the paint on it is already starting to show the original Festival Park colours. :shock:
Big Dave

I think they need the dotn look down back. Im sorry but people are going to scream no matter what. If they are complaining about the noise the actual speakers make, then they could install some onride speakers.
Balb0wa

[quote=""Big Dave""]I think they need the dotn look down back. Im sorry but people are going to scream no matter what. If they are complaining about the noise the actual speakers make, then they could install some onride speakers.[/quote]

How will that help? dont speakers make noise wherever there installed ?