Oblivion - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Robert.W

Exclusive? Nope. There's already loads of Oblivion POVs on the internet. :P

Ladyofthelake

Robert.W wrote:Exclusive? Nope. There's already loads of Oblivion POVs on the internet. :P
This is exclusive in that our POV was filmed with the permission, and in conjunction with Alton Towers Resort. This also means we have been able to provide a POV which is of a much higher quality than the majority of others which have been published.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Robert.W wrote:Exclusive? Nope. There's already loads of Oblivion POVs on the internet. :P
Have a prize why don't you.. :roll:
Swarm Chris

Absolute perfect weather for that video!

These videos have all been fantastic. It's a shame that Thorpe's policies didn't allow for it there, as the Merlin parks really do need some up-to-date sanctioned videos.

Now it makes me wonder if we can guess the ERT's at the next events, based on the gaps in the video library. :-k
Chris
Admin
Admin

Choosing which rides we hire for ERT would not be based around what footage we need, but we do like to alternate the coasters on the events so we'll try to film the rest over the course of next year.
Swarm Chris

Don't worry, only teasing :)

Looking forward to both the future videos and events!
Justin

Oblivion
Oblivion beckons you to face your fears, and as you’re held, overhanging the edge of the world’s first vertical drop rollercoaster, you get a moment to savour what is to come. Prepare yourself - the drop into Oblivion is imminent.

With the closed season upon us, how would you review Oblivion at the Alton Towers Resort?

[/center]
DeadJack5

This might be the season I rode it the least amount of times so far. Don't get me wrong I love the ride and the feeling when being dropped. But the only problem is the throughput, you're constantly stuck on the brake run waiting for the trains ahead to dispatch. You spend more time on the brake run than the actual ride and sometimes the queue itself. It's a great ride but I really don't like being stuck doing nothing on the brakes so often skip it if anyone in my party doesn't mind not doing it.

If they manage to amend this, I would ride it more but at the moment I really don't have any motivation to.
Swarm Chris

Have to agree, management are causing issues for this ride. The ride experience is still great, but you spend significantly more time waiting to disembark than riding it. This is a short and sweet ride and really should be operated like that. My improvements to it would be:

1. Use the second station! Even if just for unloading on quiet days, which presumably could be done with less staff support.

2. Shorten the queue to use the stairs rather than the huge looping walk. Especially on quiet days.

3. Allow re-rides when sensible to do so. From what I understand this is a strict management no-no. As even when there were only 3 of us in the entire ride and queuing area, with 4 trains on, during morning early ride time this year to make up for Wicker Man being closed, we were refused re-rides and a mention of rules that the operators aren't in charge of.
Tom170499

One thing I’ve never understood is the re-Ride policy at AT. TP allow it so it would be good to see consistency across the Merlin parks with a definitive yes or no. Re-rides on a quiet day for Oblivion would improve the ride experince drastically, not that it’s a bad ride, just as others have said, that long wait on the break run needs to be made worthwhile. 
Wagstaff04

For me, Oblivion was really dissapointing this year. I only got on it once in late September, and it was my first front row ride out of 3. I barely felt the drop and it only held you at the top for less than a second. 
Nickolai

It has an amazing but I don't appreciate waiting longer on the break run than in the queue. They need to utilize two station operation more on peak days. 
Formally Smiler313
Swarm Chris

It makes me wonder why they run four shuttles (did I get the name right? :P ), when they only have one station open. It doesn't increase throughput to have two or three of them stacked at the end.
Cobby

I have a bit of a soft spot for Oblivion. I just wish that they put the original videos back on without the jump cuts and the drop hold time could do with increasing again. It's a short enough ride already without the short drop hold. If you watch it on opening in 98 it holds for a good couple of seconds before the drop but sadly this doesn't happen now and I don't know why it would be changed. It would also possibly reduce the brake hold time as you would spend more time at the top of the drop.
Justin

I must admit, I also hold a soft spot for Oblivion!

I really like the feel of the ride with its orange and black chevrons, however, I really wish they sort out the queueline buildings and give them a clean and retheme inkeeping with the original theme. I also wish they either cover up The Smiler logo seen from the drop properly, or reorder a new graphic to be mounted. Looking at pealing carpet tape isn't magical!

Years on, the ride still builds up tension for me. Yes, it is short and sweet, but that is the beauty of the ride. The views from the top are amazing too!

A classic!