Monorail overhaul complete

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
billyrae

Sarner have completed the overhaul of the monorail

[url=http://www.sarner.com/PhotoGallery/Alto ... ign01.html" target="_blank]http://www.sarner.com/PhotoGallery/Alto ... ign01.html[/url]
Wes

Aaaaahh. They link to SanbrookeProductions. This guys a lost cause!

Some nice images there. Any news on re-furbishing the station?
NickT04

I think the new skyrides may be getting the same themes. If you look at some of the images it shows the entire skin of the monorail, with a sky ride gondola to the left of it! The explorer, cow and daisy themes showing both monorail and gondola!
AstroDan

That's just the front of the train!
NickT04

LOL! So it is! Even with my glasses on my eyesight is rubbish :P Sorry guys!
Liam

Shame they lost interest half way through the job and went onto everyday stock photography.
Jon

I love that they describe it as a moo-nerail also.
This was complemented with carefully themed audio playing throughout each ride.

Yeah...if they can be arsed playing them!
Formerly "Dagoo"
NickT04

I noticed on a few of the "older ones" the paint hasn't held up too well on the new "comfy seats" :P I expect paint to wear off the wood after a while, but not less than a year, regardless of the amount of use!
Khanage

Good news for Shawn that they are using his videos! That's very cool.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Chris W

I think the Monorail improvements are nothing but positive for the resort. I've heard a lot of praise for the monorails all season from the public, often kids saying how much they love the Moo-norail and the Daisy Train.

Hey Alton, don't let them get like how they were in the 2007 season again.
towers freak

Im so glad the monorail has been finished as they were realy starting to look old and grubby. But i agree with what Liam has said, the first few trains to be refurbished linked in realy well with the areas in the park but then they started doing the others with generic stock photos so they dont link in well which is a disapointment but is much better than the state they were in 2007. The other thing i dont like is you can't see out the windows so well which is a real pain when u want to use shots from the monorail out the window for a video.
Khanage

^Yeah, I was a little disappointed by the generic train designs but these are definitely better than the state they were in! It would have been fantastic to see a Nemesis train or an Oblivion one - I suppose they are not permanent thought so I would imagine come SW6 they may fashion one to coincide with that.

Chris
Admin
Admin

The Towers Street station is currently getting a completely new paint scheme inside.
seaneth

I haven't used the monorail for yearrss, but they definately make the park stand out more. I think the Jellybean one going through Forbidden Valley is quite a theme/mood killer xD

I remember seeing a daisy skyride skin, but.. I don't know.. it didn't suit it. I thought it looked tacky and cheap, but as they're getting completely new gondolas, hopefully it was only temporary.
Corkscrewed

I'm looking forward to riding the Monorail for the first time in 8 years come march ^.^ So will be nice to see for myself how good this overhaul has been, and see if the stations have been sorted out.

:D
AstroDan

[quote=""Baffles""]The Towers Street station is currently getting a completely new paint scheme inside.[/quote]

This is excellent news! Hopefully it will make it feel much newer and fresher too!

:D
BULBOUS

I'm really not a fan of the Towers Street monorail station, particularly on cold, wet days... it always feels really 'orrible and clammy in there, with the condensation on the windows and the depressing concrete everywhere. Plus, on the ramps, there's just nowhere to look, particularly when half of the TV's aren't working at all.

Not such a problem with the more open car-park end, but that could do with a touch-up in places, too. :D

Also, playing the resort theme throughout the stations would be good, too. Or at least the Towers Street music & announcements for continuity. Sell those shows before they're rushing to the rides?
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.
Khanage

Absolutely nickdaegg. I haven't ridden the monorail for a long time - it's normally quicker to walk or I just pay the £10 for the close car park - but if people are going to be standing around for 15-20 mins for the monorail then it would be the best time to blast some announcements for shows etc.

NickT04

I've only not used the Monorail twice, back in April last year I think it was where there was a bus service running from the car park to the entrance and then we had to walk back to the car park in the evening.

I get to the park pretty early (aim for 9:30) so there never usually is a big queue. The only time I've been in a massive queue was for Electric Towers and Scarefest '08 (both leaving the park).
AstroDan

Even with a queue out of the entrance at Towers St, the queue for the Monorail with ALL pens open is only 20 minutes. And more often than not, they only have half the pens open - so it looks worse than it is.

The Monoral has an insanely high capacity. Even from Extraordinary Golf, you won't wait more than 15 minutes.

:)