2010: Secret Weapon 6 Part Two

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
stretchy

OK something else has just occurred to me.

Why is it taking nearly 1.5 years to build?

From the designs that we have seen it looks like a closed seasons worth of work.

me thinks were being led a merry dance
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
Russell

After also having a look at the 'concept' images on screamscape I noticed that on the Racer and Dark Forest themes have a section about the rollercoaster and robo-arm has anyone else noticed this?

I think from the description on these pages we are definately getting one of these themes or maybe even a combination of the 2?

I personally am excited about this project but im just hoping beyond hope not to be dissapointed :(

Good point stretchy maybe there is a lot going on underground as people have said before - maybe an underground launch??
Since April 2008
Anonymous

[quote=""stretchy""]OK something else has just occurred to me.

Why is it taking nearly 1.5 years to build?

From the designs that we have seen it looks like a closed seasons worth of work.

me thinks were being led a merry dance[/quote]

I would imagine they will be working on other parts of the park this closed season, and by the time they fully clear the corkscrew site and do all the excavation / groundwork (if there is any) it will be the mid - late part of next year before the coaster goes vertical?

I've been following this thread for a while now, and I'm quite excited about what we may get here. Hopefully the plans will be loaded onto the planning office site soon for us to see.
rightbackgranty

The ride probably wont take a year and a half to build - I think its a case of "starting earlier is better than later".

Should the planning permission get rejected, the large time span would allow the park to re-submit plans that are more likely to be accepted. The application may also be "subject to conditions" as well, which could take longer.

If you read the letters of acceptance (such as the Battle Galleons) the council often want to see the materials being used, which can also take extra time.

The coaster will require (by the looks of it) a lot of groundwork. If it does move down into the valley, the slope will have to be stabilised properly, and tested for stability etc.

Dont forget oblivon had almost a whole year of construction, with the whole surrounding area being shut off for a long time. Nemesis too. Obviously there isnt going to be a great big hole to dig, but ground work can take a long time.
AstroDan

I have just been to the SMDC planning offices in Leek to have a thorough look through the planning documents myself, so I can actually comprehend what is going on here. It's made it all a lot clearer. It is not allowed to take photographs of any of the planning documents, which I have respected.

So far, the discussion has centred around the "duration" and "layout" of the rollercoaster. Admittedly, my only real concern about the ride is this fact, since many of Alton's coasters have become known for sweeping bends and tight helixes. However, not one of Alton's coasters is really known for what many premier coasters are: Airtime.

So far at Alton Towers, we have intensity with Nemesis and Rita, we have the "unique" in Air, Oblivion is the "fear" coaster whilst there's family fun with the Mine Train and Spinball Whizzer. Each coaster is totally different. This is where Alton Towers consistently stands out. There is an excellent array of different coaster sensations at the park.

With the new rollercoaster, I believe the major "feature" of the layout is to be Airtime, something which hasn't really been seen at the park before. The layout consists of a number of drops, hills and bends. It seems unlikely that the layout holds any inversions, whch is why I am more inclined to believe that it's going to be an Airtime machine over anything else.

Something else which people have not yet picked up on, is the theming of the rollercoaster. If the plans go through, and the ride is constructed as shown on the plans, then this will be the best themed rollercoaster at Alton Towers. The entrance are shows a ruined gate, and a number of features, whilst the station features Hex/Towers like imagery. The theme, to me, looks like it could be taking the Chained Oak theme a little further. However, the actual theme "name" is not given on any document.

There is also a Thorpe Park style baggage store area, whch you will be able to drop off prior to loading, and collect after the ride. This is a great step for Alton Towers.

Regarding the queueline for Rita - Queen of Speed, it is impossible at this stage to rule out any alterations. The reason for this is that the Rita queue comes under the general planning area, and as such, I do not believe it would be necessary for the park to declare any such changes. Indeed, Ug Swinger features on the planning overhead, and as we all know, this is moving to Cred Street for the 2009 season.

The queueline for SW6 (the name SW6 is not given in any document, which questions this tagline for the project, it is simply named "AT Corkscrew Replacement") comprises of some cattle penning. However, it is not as dense as the Rita - Queen of Speed cattle penning. This should not be seen as a major issue as many major parks, Disney included, use cattle penning to some degree. Alton Towers need to be very careful with space and, as long as they add theme/experience to the queueline, then there will be no problem. The ride will also have a capacity some c200pph greater than Rita, so the queueline will move some 20% faster.

Finally, I think the best thing about this project is that it looks set to be the greatest "experience" rollercoaster Alton Towers have ever built. It looks set to have a story, and unique features. The duration of the ride is also likely to be longer than any other rollercoaster at Alton Towers - not because of the length, but because of the switch track features. I am sure it will be exciting to see under construction, and I look forward to riding it. It is going to add another sensation to the coaster line-up at Alton Towers, which is already one of the most stellar in Europe.

:D
Kaycee

Excellent stuff Danbini! :D Glad to hear some optimism. Whilst I do prefer inversions over airtime personally, as long as this coaster is themed very well and has something unique about it, I'm happy. :D

I LOVE the sound of the theme... however, one thing I am very worried about... what does this mean for Rita? :-? Are they going to leave it in its current theme??
Stu

RITA - Queen of the Forest !!!> >.

I still don't know what to thnk to be honest. I think i was hoping for an intense force feeling coaster for thrill seekers, but it's not going to happen.But then if it's themed and looked after and so on, the coaster it self does not need to be intense to get a great feeling and feel great as a whole. So im looking forward to it. Would have been nice to have a few inversions but oh well.
Jon

Yes, thankyou very much AstroDan. Some impartial information from a reliable source is just what we need here. I'm guessing there must be some exciting themeing going on in those plans for you to judge them as being potentially the best in the park.

Was there any hint whatsoever on a change in Rita's theme? I don't suppose there would be, but I think this is what concerns me most. They have shown before in Air and Rita that the park think they can get away with creating areas with one theme, but with a twist to This only works to an extent, however. I hope they follow the example of Oblivion with this, rethemeing everything else in the area. I hope they don't slip up on this chance. They must know Rita's flaws, especially after them being adressed in the cutomer council.
Formerly "Dagoo"
DomB

I would like to think Rita will get rethemed, there is also the slight possibilty of incorporating Rita's theme into the (pretty much certain) Dark Forest/Hex theme.
But as they say, only time will tell.
BSwiss

It wouldn't take much to re-theme rita. Air doesn't really have a strong theme so a new paintjob and turn the station thing into a derelict shed would work a treat
Crofty

:lol: I don't see how they could leave rita in its current theme.

Everything seems to point to an extension to the Hex story, one of the best themed attractions to date at the park. If this is the case then I think we'd have to see the opening up of the Dove Cote and more made of the entrance to UG land at the former UG Swingers location or the disused pathway between the dove cote and UG Land.

I think the Hex legend has to be the theme, if you read it then you can clearly see how the switchbacks could come into play as the horse drawn carriage gets stopped by the old woman.
It was in the winter of 1846, when a carriage was travelling through the area woods near to Alton Towers, Staffordshire. On it rode a local aristocrat, returning home from a grand banquet. Through the mist and driving rain a figure appeared in the road, the coach stopped! It was an old woman shrouded in rags, an involuntary shudder went through the Earls body.

"Spare a farthing for a beggar woman"

She pleaded with the Earl to spare her a farthing. But when the rich Earl mocked her request she placed a wicked curse on him and his family.....

For every branch of the old oak that falls, a member of your family will die!

During freak weather conditions of the following night, a branch was struck off the tree and true to the Witches prophesy a member of the Earls family suddenly and mysteriously............. DIED
The following switchback could be the climax after riding out the storm in that one helix you stop at the old oak and see the branches fall away, you then head back to the station.

Maybe the world first is on board sound on this type of coaster and some sort of interation with riders in the indoor section (shuddering.)

Sorry i'm getting carried away and generally getting excited again. :lol: Thanks Dan, you've inspired me once more lol.

:D :D
Gax

Am I right in assuming that the true depth and originality of Hex is generally lost on the GP? I know that a lot of the time the story can be quite confusing and some people just don't get the ride.

As Crofty says all current signs point to a Hex related theme, and with Ug Land's close proximity to the ride, it would be very nice to assume that AT are planning to develop the dark forest as a new land to incorporate hex and build upon the story. Perhaps to make it make more sense to the GP, and give Hex more of the credit it deserves?
Crofty

I think thats exactly right!

Hex is one concrete magical tales of the the towers, it's the stuff films are made of and it would make clear sense for Alton to develop it.
We saw an attempt to develop the story years back with the jazzland plans which showed some sort of extension to the ride.
The whole area could be incorporated with one theme Hex, Fountain square the dove cote and UG land.
The only things standing in the way are Rita and Ritas chicken and ribs with its recent modern design.

:D :D
AstroDan

Rita's Chicken and Ribs!? Burn it to the ground! And re-build it... with theming!

:D
rightbackgranty

I would be very very pleased with a Hex-esque theme. A continuation of one of the best themed rides in the park would do very well, and I feel would place more emphasis on Hex.

AstroDan, are the "theme" pictures very detailed, like the Mutiny Bay Sea Life centre pictures?
AstroDan

Yes, they are quite detailed. They show various features to the building, and the entrance theming too.

I should guess everyone will be able to see them online soon!
Vanessa Feltz

It does sound very interesting, Obviously Rita is as like Crofty said, the only thing standing in the way.

This does point to Rita being rethemed, This is the only way I can see "Hexland" actually working.
If you think about it, "Dark forest" ties in with the Hex story very well

E.g
carriage was travelling through the area woods near to Alton Towers
It certainly does sound exciting, Maybe the Roboarms we saw in the Plans could be the Chained Oak? Though that might confuse people due to the actual Chained Oak being in Alton.

Perhaps Rita does become the old Beggar? And we some sort of dueling element to both coasters?

Only time will tell.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
rightbackgranty

Im quite temped to go and have a look myself now to be honest.

And while im thinking about it, a few pages back people were saying that the grey shaded area with a jagged outline were rock themeing. Any way of confirming this?
Jon

Well the only way Rita's chicken and ribs ties in with any sort of themeing is that its outside looks like Rita's queue! It could be rethemed on the outside easily, and simply called "Chicken and ribs".
Formerly "Dagoo"
Johno

The thing I'd be worried about with the Hex theme, is if it detracted from Hex itself.