2010: Secret Weapon 6 Part Two

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Crofty

[quote=""Disco Ball""]

Gawd everyone stop being so negative and make your judgements come opening day.[/quote]

Why wait until then? After all they didn't fail to let us down on Charlie, Dung Heap, Spinball, Rita and Mutiny Bay.

I think whoever called it a secret weapon was jumping the gun slightly. I think certain criteria need to be met to qualify it to be a SW most of which I don't know but certainly it needs to be easily marketable, improve visitor numbers significantly, be secret and be a weapon.

:D :D
AstroDan

I wasn't let down with Mutiny Bay. It's far better than Spinball/Charlie/Dung Heap etc!

:?
James B

Seconded....I thought mutiny bay was Altons first step in the right direction since the half finished AIR
oldgitBEN

I agree with Crofty its been a long time since we had a SW and the managment and owners of the park are different, and perhaps it would have been easier not to call it an SW.

It immediatley gets enthusiasts excited and since the poor queueline has come to light its certainly got my back up this doesnt hold the same ambitions as the other SWs.
Last edited by oldgitBEN on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crofty

[quote=""AstroDan""]I wasn't let down with Mutiny Bay. It's far better than Spinball/Charlie/Dung Heap etc!

:?[/quote]

I seem to recall it is just Merrie England with some themed broken down walls and burnt flags?

[url=http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/attractions/mb/mb0810.JPG" target="_blank]http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/attractions/mb/mb0810.JPG[/url]

I agree it is better than previous attempts but its still not enough.

James B like your post but sadly I don't think there is a massive hidden secret. Some 3D video screen perhaps at the tilt section showing a Windows error message maybe?

I think the SW element must be the area as a whole. I'm more excited at the thought of the robo arm things to be honest, they will be something new and interesting, things most of the public wouldn't be aware of. Couple these with a new coaster and it will be a decent area.
James B

Fair enough - must have missed that.

All said and done, were not going to be disappointed here are we? I cant wait to see these plans!!!!

Although reading for a long time this is the first time i have got into a thread like this to do with a major coaster being built so er these plans, will they reveal EVERYTHING??? The manufacturer, the station design, the track layout, the lot

Crofty - thanks for the thanks but which post are you pointing to? In addition, i believe you may well be right when you say SW6 is the whole area. I do worry about the dreaded budget cuts though.
AstroDan

[quote=""Crofty""][quote=""AstroDan""]I wasn't let down with Mutiny Bay. It's far better than Spinball/Charlie/Dung Heap etc!

:?[/quote]

I seem to recall it is just Merrie England with some themed broken down walls and burnt flags?

[url=http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/attractions/mb/mb0810.JPG" target="_blank]http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/attractions/mb/mb0810.JPG[/url]

I agree it is better than previous attempts but its still not enough.
[/quote]

If you look at the new ride they built, forget the area, but Battle Galleons is well themed.
CoasterCrazyChris

Yes the roboarms are an exiting thought, but I doubt there will be room for them if what they plan to do in what is currently Ug Land goes ahead. A normal smallish sized flat like Submission might be able to fit, but the roboarms I feel would need considerable space (think of the size of the q line for something that would be as popular as this) which I doubt the area could offer. In fact I think the area will looked cramped with just the two coasters.
Wes

[quote=""Crofty""]I think whoever called it a secret weapon was jumping the gun slightly.[/quote]

Do we honestly doubt the park know what they're doing? I mean honestly?

They're a buisness. A successful one. Alton Towers are the leaders in the UK, owned by a buisness second behind Disney. £12 Million is the figure floating about for this ride, thats a lot of money.
The concepts looked amazing.
The plans look good.
Worlds First confirmed by Managment.
John Wardley.

Things have been looking better and better since Merlin brought out Tussauds, to have doubt in this ride would be stupid.

All of the above is surely something to say we will be getting something a bit special. Right?
Crofty

I just googled "secret planning permission" to see if they was any way this could be covered up. This very topic was 5th on the list. :lol: :lol:

There seems to be no way of covering this up now. I doubt we will get the manufacturer but we will certainly see drawings of floor plans and elevations alongside concept art detailing colours and buildings etc.
Normally we wouldn't get to see these but it seems the council now try to put it all online for people who can't get to the planning office.

:D :D
James B

Fantastic - Very excited now - although a bit apprehensive that we may end up thoroughly disappointed.

Least we will know for sure what were getting. Thanks for checking that Crofty.
dave-h

hi all

its been a while since i have posted, but have been loging in with interest daily. some good information is floating around now and a line drawing has popped up. the original diagram only showed the external parts of the ride if i am correct (can anyone confirm this?) ECC guessedemated the section in the station?. maybe there is more coaster after the backwards section, under the ground? maybe there is a second launch? all we can see is the above ground parts, and as we all know Aton are experts in the field of excavation (nemesis, oblivion).

agreed that the layout seems a little "lame" but what else is going on that we cant see?

i also think that the worlds first element will be worth while, none of this "horror rollercoaster" rubbish, would they risk the highly regarded title of SW? i don't know!!

and finally, this could very well be JW's last major project for the park, and he came out of retirement to play a role. would he have come up with tosh, or his best work yet!!

its over to you
Danger Noise

how fast are the intamin cable lifts?
James B

Just read the concept boards again over on screamscape. Seems they all mention water falls,etc.

I think the ride itself is not going to be fantastic, but the interaction with the themeing will be
Danger Noise

to be honest im starting to think this will be similar to nemesis in intensity, the second hills only half the height of the first drop, surely that means it will keep its speed well and be packed with airtime?

better a well designed coaster with no dead time than a sprawling mess...
Wortho

Just wondering has anybody noticed this?

Notice that the track seems to stop here with no where else to go.
Ash

Your an idiot at times!

Sorry but this entire topic is about a roller coaster that will have 2 pieces of drop track in. We presume the car will come to the end of the track, and then drop tilting backwards allowing the ride train to move backwards and then through a small section of track to another dead end, where it will drop forwards again and continue on its merry way!

Its all very simple. I might be being a little bit presumptious when i say this, but im going to say it anyway. I imagine, that the parts where the track "stops with nowhere else to go" will be these sections that i mentioned in the paragraph above.

Capeesh?
Jakob

That mysterious planning application (couple pages back) seems to be just Katanga's Pizz Hut:
"Construction of covered seating areas with linked covered walkway and external alterations to the Katanga restaurant. "

Sounds cool.

Back onto SW6 though. Can't help feeling a bit "put off" with the tight maze of a queue, was hoping beyond hope that the queue would go off into the woods to be surrounded by theming and all.. but maybe thats hoping a bit too much :D

Yet, if they were to do this properly, which they're bound to, then they may as well get rid of RITA's fencing and replace it with more themed fencing, and the same goes for the new coaster. This would look better than just wooden spikes splattered all over Ug Land (well, SW6... Land?) :?
And.

I think the queuelines would look a hell of a lot better if they weren't solid fences like they are now. Something more akin to Stealth's queueline might look better??
Gax

They could do a lot with the queueline to make it bearable, if you look at a lot of the disney queuelines they use 'cattlepen' areas in some form, they just also use heavy theming to make it easier on the eye.

I think we're all just nervous because we have images of Rita's disaster of a queueline in our heads!