2010: Secret Weapon 6 Part Two

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Crofty

I've had the pleasure of reading through every post today in this and the old SW6 topic. :shock:
I've not really touched this topic because of the sheer size of it! The last time I looked was when the first concept images were produced in the summer.
I followed all the twists and turns (excuse the pun) and went from B&M to Vekoma, mack and back to B&M. :lol: I found reading it fascinating if not a bit repetitive. :P
One thing that upset me though on my mighty post reading marathon was the end result. After all the speculation and amazing ideas we end up seeing what looks to be a poor attempt at 'secret weapon,' of course i'll reserve judgment but from what we've seen so far I find it very hard to see how this can be made into some sort of spectacular attraction.
We have a station building meant to look like a castle under repair, why under repair? Possibly so the it can explain away any theming that look un finished - poor excuse for a theme that reminds me of expedition Ge-force.
We are lead to believe that this world first element will now take place in the indoor section of the ride, an indoor section that looks little bigger than Ritas hydraulics shed. :roll:
Then we get to the pre ride experience, yup, the cattle pens return for another outing, when will Alton learn that this is the worst thing they could do in terms of guest satisfaction? If the queues are long then you have hours of walking up and down passing the same faces all looking agitated. If the queue is short then you have to run about like your in the krypton factor obstacle course.
The ride capacity is said to be 1200 per hour. I think the queue should be made to accommodate 1300 people, this way it's easy to judge the queue times and if they ever overspill then it means the ride staff are not performing properly, unless theres a breakdown or some sort.
I expected a lot more from this attraction, maybe we'll see it but I highly doubt it. :( :evil:

:D :D
CoasterCrazyChris

Here's a well known tip:

Have very low expectations from the off and whatever you get at the end must be good!!

Its what I live by anyway!! :P

Apply it for this "SW6" and you sure won't be disappointed by the end outcome!! :P

Cattle pens, uninspiring theming, gimmicky codename, average track layout = "SW6".
caetaylor

Given that speculation is pointing towards the worlds first element being within the building/ station and there is a 10 - 15 m difference. I've been thinking instead of their being a tilt mechanism or a track switch (like on expedition everest) having a drop mechanism.

Something along the lines of you come at pace from the outdoor section of the roller coaster and come to an abrupt stop. Then a little bit of a show kinda like the pre ride part of hex with a sinister theme. At the end of the show (I'm only thinking 15-20 seconds) there's a evil laugh then a creaking noise and suddenly the whole section of track the ride car is sitting on falls the 10/15 m difference then theres a second of darkness before you are shot out the back of the building and are seemed to be spiralling out of control and seem to crash through a part of the ruins with a collapsing noise as you are coming out the back of the building into the trench containing the helix.

Just an idea, which is probably way off the mark, but would be pretty good and I can't think of any other roller coaster having a show and drop within the ride which would make it a world's first?
Anonymous

A lot of the speculation about SW6 has been as to whether the 'world's first' element may be some sort of backwards track-tilt. But I came across this POV Robb Alvey shot of Ultra Twister at Nagashima Spaland... so I guess even if there is a backwards tilt involved in SW6, that isn't necessarily the 'world's first' part of the ride!

As has already been suggested, the layout does seem to hint at the possibility of it being an Intamin Mega-Lite :D (especially if you take Kawasemi's 2D overhead layout near the top of this page into account)... let's hope they don't kill it with over-the-shoulder restraints if that is indeed the case!

Robin
scruffy_

[quote=""stretchy""]Hey Guys.

Looking at the queue line image (- Plan of the overall area) , there are a couple of areas that i am unsure what are. Each of these areas are about a 40% (light) grey with a green outline. There all have crinkled edges. I am wondering if they are Rock based theme-ing. For example shortly after the start of the queue, the queue line seems to go through one of these grey areas. Also shortly further into the queue there is a larger one of these grey areas on the queues left (the right of the page) which odly enough has a rectangle inside it.

Any Ideas chaps and Chapesses[/quote]
I think yor onto something there, if only we could see they key on the left
Wes

The theme for Rita has to change.

An atmosphere can't be created for this new ride with Thunder Rock Ralley blasting through that area.

Keep the Cattle Pens, just lose the 'theme' :)
Vanessa Feltz

[quote=""Wes""]The theme for Rita has to change.

An atmosphere can't be created for this new ride with Thunder Rock Ralley blasting through that area.

Keep the Cattle Pens, just lose the 'theme' :)[/quote]

The publics view however at the moment for Rita is "wooo this is fast!"
How can that be adapted into anything other than something that goes "really fast".

The public would be confused about it and wouldn't think of it as Rita anymore.

Plus there aren't that many ideas you can change it to, add in a repaint and it just makes matters worse.
I really can't see them doing anything with rita for a while yet, no matter what we feel.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
adsyrah

I'm sure Rita *could* be rethemed if need be.

How about making Rita a witch? You could be riding on the back of her broom around the area. That'll explain the speed of the ride and the swooping up and down. Plus it keeps the name of the ride in context.

That's of course assuming the area will be rethemed as a dark forest...
MostMagicalCat

Rita was themed very loosely when it was built, this perhaps means they planned to change it knowing about future developments and the end of the corky..

perhaps
[
Crofty

Thinking about the Castle station thats been talked about then i'm thinking maybe Rita could be re-themed as a jousting tournament. Of course there would be no opponent but I think he speed of the ride combined with the long straight line of the launch could quite easily work. Stick a horse head on the front of the train, paint one train blue and the other red and stick a large jousting pole up the side.

[url=http://yepyep.gibbs12.com/wp-content/up ... 732005.jpg" target="_blank]http://yepyep.gibbs12.com/wp-content/up ... 732005.jpg[/url]

As for the rocks on the plan I think that must be correct. If you look at the stair case leading up to the station it's also surrounded by grey marks.

I like the stair case i'm just totally miffed about those extreme cattle pens.

:D :D
aru

A mythical theme would be fantastic.. Local legends, folk law, fantasy, mystery. Make Rita into a beast, an evil force, or even a weapon of some sort.

I must admit I am very disappointed to see (if they do actually go through with those plans) that AT have not considered re-arranging the atrocious layout of UgLand. By the looks of it, guests will still have to navigate the illogical entrance and exit areas, which do not integrate well with the rides. Ugland has a lot of potential, especially if they scrapped the current layout and moved Rita's queue.

Will guests be incited and convinced by a theme that is hidden behind a sea of wooden posts?

Just thinking about guest experience alone, John Wardlys rides have prided themselves on an single-lane queue layout - although not particularly entertaining, less repetitive than a cattle-pen.
Khanage

I must say I am not bothered by the queue at all. As long the the ride and theming are excellent then that's all that matters to me. Looking at the plans though there is some cattle penning but I think the whole theming of the area will detract from it. I have a feeling we'll all be pleasantly surprised, hopefully. :D
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

billyrae

I'm never bothered about q lines either as i always go on a Week day during school times so no huge q's.
Went to Thorpe the week after schools went back in Sept last year and every ride was walk on all day.
rightbackgranty

The Cattle Pen they've gone with might be a little annoying, but its a space saver. Perhaps they're planning on adding a flat elsewhere in UgLand, so are saving space that way.

Its not pretty, but I've never heard a member of the public say "Oh no, Im not riding that, look at the shape of the queue". A large majority of the rides in Florida have cattle pen-esque queues, but are still well themed. If Alton can do that, which I believe they can do (after seeing Mutiny Bay, and more recently the pictures for Saw), then it should be fine.

Im really looking forward to this ride. Will be nice to see something substantial built again!
Jon

I had idea last night about the queues. Because, at the moment, they will look like a mass of yellowish wood from the perspective a guest looking on from (say) the arcade. They could turn it into a miniforest, playing the tangled mass to their advantage by themeing the whole thing well. Perhaps keep the route but add little features like painting rooughly odd areas of queue and twisting creepers round them. The samecould be done to Rita's stilts as they can be a bit of an eyesore as well. This would make coherence in between the queue and the supports but the difference levels of height would make it look more interesting, wild and realistic. They could have building remains dotted around at different levels, looking very gothic and derelict. Perhaps they could cover odd areas of queue in that camo-net stuff they have on haunted hollow...I don't know there are loads if little things they could do that would add up and make a big impact.

My main thoughts with this idea was that the hideous features of the queue at the moment (big bulk, very visable, confusing to judge etc) could not just be remedied but actually used as a quality and would provide more theming for the area. It would also give the impression that you are entering the forest itself, winding your way around before finding your ride.
Formerly "Dagoo"
CoasterCrazyChris

Gothic looking buildings, hang on a minute, this is suppost to be a new, different area, not a new Glomy Wood. :?:

:)
Nemair

Maybe Rita's queue will be changed, its just that the plans for SW6 are done on an old map where Rita's queue hasn't been adjusted. And because areas of Ugland don't need planning apps, then surely this means that the queue could therefore be changed at a later stage?
Gax

Ooh! A mysterious planning application seems to have just popped up yesterday! ;) Shame that it allows absoultley nothing to be read into it..
ghulam786

Hey i don't know if anyone is thinking the same as me but i only heard that this ride will be a world first by russel barnes no1 else, im thinking is it going to be a world first anything,whether a 1st element or track design i don't know.After all i could be wrong and that sw6 is being kept secret and that all these are just through offs.

---- Post Info Added ----

[quote=""Gax""]Ooh! A mysterious planning application seems to have just popped up yesterday! ;) Shame that it allows absoultley nothing to be read into it..[/quote]
Maybe this could be the flat in ug land????????????
lol, this the agent that is handling the case
Nathaniel Lichfield And Partners
14 Regents Wharf
All Saints Street
London
maybe i should pay her a little visit.

Miss Hannah Whitney...........any1 know her
coaster maniac
rightbackgranty

I noticed that yesterday Gax, just thought nothing of it as it was completely "empty".

Hopefully something exciting!