Park lighting - Mutiny Bay to Katanga Canyon

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
ShadowTD

Couldn't really see where to put this, so I've started a new topic. Apologies if I'm being an eeejit.

When I was on park a few weeks ago I noticed that a number of sturdy wooden poles had been put in place along the path from MB to KC. I figured they were for Scarefest lighting but they looked nice and permanent. Surely enough they were hung with the standard work lights.

I think Towers should take this to its logical conclusion and install permanent lighting using these posts. There are a number of time during the year when having illumination along the paths would be useful - not just for Scarefest/fireworks. It would look great with MB style lanterns as you leave the area moving to tiki-style lanterns as you get further into KC - a little like the hotel carpet where it changes from SL to ATH.

I also think that all area re-themes should take into account permanent lighting for both the pathways and rides. How good did Nemmy look at Scarefest?
AstroDan

The problem is, even the newest area, Mutiny Bay, had some fabulous lanterns installed... Yet come the dark openings, and some H&S rubbish causes AT (presumably) to still floodlit the new feature ride! This is a real pity as some of the beauty of that ride was going to be when it was looking all pretty in the dark.

It never happened.

:(
Magical Ryan

There seems to be some more Permanent lighting round the park as you can see them light posts round the park. You can see them down haunted hollow, And I have to say they look fab! Also about them posts I was also wondering if they would be there a long time as they seem to look Permanent!
BULBOUS

I think AT are installing lighting as they go along, revamping areas. It's certainly something which needs considering if they're wanting to open longer, as a "resort" should.
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.
Thomas

I wouldn't say its all H&S rubbish that the flood lights are down too, it's clear they don't have to have them, like the Haunted Hollow, no flood lights that i can remember apart from the first bit in Gloomy Wood.

It's most probably more down to them being 'over' safe - which i guess isn't all that bad.
Wes

[quote=""Thomas""]I wouldn't say its all H&S rubbish that the flood lights are down too, it's clear they don't have to have them, like the Haunted Hollow, no flood lights that i can remember apart from the first bit in Gloomy Wood.

It's most probably more down to them being 'over' safe - which i guess isn't all that bad.[/quote]

Its most likely in an event of an evacuation.

As you can imagine, if they were to evacuate any ride at night, they will require a large amount of light. Especially on a ride such as Battle Galleons.

Very well installing themed lights, but full time flood lights wouldn't have gone a miss.
jonathan leake

[quote=""ShadowTD""]Couldn't really see where to put this, so I've started a new topic. Apologies if I'm being an eeejit.

When I was on park a few weeks ago I noticed that a number of sturdy wooden poles had been put in place along the path from MB to KC. I figured they were for Scarefest lighting but they looked nice and permanent. Surely enough they were hung with the standard work lights.

I think Towers should take this to its logical conclusion and install permanent lighting using these posts. There are a number of time during the year when having illumination along the paths would be useful - not just for Scarefest/fireworks. It would look great with MB style lanterns as you leave the area moving to tiki-style lanterns as you get further into KC - a little like the hotel carpet where it changes from SL to ATH.

I also think that all area re-themes should take into account permanent lighting for both the pathways and rides. How good did Nemmy look at Scarefest?[/quote]

Well off topic here but where is this carpet that changes from SL to ATH iv not seen this anyone got a pic. Back on topic yea i think Alton Towers need to put more permant lighting all over the park
AstroDan

As you walk from Cariba Creek Skywalk into Alton Towers Hotel.

Check it out.
NickT04

When I went to the waterpark the other week I took that walk so I can out the front of the ATH, that carpet is ace - I love it!
BIan

I love the carpet, I always feel sorry for the poor little crab which has gotten lost, or is he just a Brave little crab, looking for adventure?

I feel the red carpet on the wooden landing ruins it a bit, but H&S tends to ruin a lot of stuff these days.

Ian
Tom M

[quote=""IanBassi""]I feel the red carpet on the wooden landing ruins it a bit, but H&S tends to ruin a lot of stuff these days.

Ian[/quote]
I've seen other guests drop glasses on the walkway before the carpet was put down and it smashed, between the slats on the walkway there's a swimming pool right underneath. Obviously glass+swimming pool+people doesnt go down too well lol.
Big Dave

Simple tho, just have a no glass beyond this point sign!
Wes

[quote=""Big Dave""]Simple tho, just have a no glass beyond this point sign![/quote]

And as we know, everyone sticks to the signs. Deffinately no one ever goes against the signs. Nope. No one.

Ever.
BIan

Hmm, I did not realise that it was a gap in the wood. The red carpet does not cover the entire thing though, so not 100% effective.
Big Dave

yeah but least towers could keep the wooden floor and remove the blame from themselves
BULBOUS

I doubt it's about blame - more about not wanting the pool going bloody. The hysteria it could cause would be immense.

I thought it was more to do with the high heels thing anyway, as they have that sign on the door advising you to not wear them in there.
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.