2010: Secret Weapon 6 Part One

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Big Dave

[quote=""theflamingbrick""][quote=""Ash""]Can anyone translate the height plan to that of the layout so we can get an overall shot of the layout?[/quote]

You cant really work out the overall height layout by those pictures but you can get a rough idea. For instance the reduced level of the coaster is given in relation to rita. Taking into account that the ground is level (which it wont be) you can see that its 31cm smaller than rita in height. But it may go into an excavation unlike rita, so it may have a much bigger drop.

I personally am quite excited by this ride. If you look at the plans, the second highest point on the ride looks like its the part of the switch back in the station building. This means a fast, terrain hugging coaster!! I find nothing wrong with that, especially if its going through the trees and themeing aswell.[/quote]

Not sure how your working that out but ok...
Corkscrew is just over 100ft tall, so using that has a guide I'd say SW6 will be 85ft or there abouts.
Maelstrom

The ride features do look similar to some of those featured on Intmin mega lites (whith the first two openning this year and being rated top 5 coasters already and are highly praised) The standard mega lite is 105ft and the first drop and helix are SW6 are very similar to the start of the mega lites, just on a smaller scale (altons about 68ft high). Plus the capacity of a mega lite is 810 per hour (16 people per car) if you had a 3 car operation which having the switch back section would possibly allow the capacity would be 1200 (which is what is stated previously) that is assuming the ride has similar ride time etc.

Is there any possibility of other pages from the planning application being put online?

As been said by many it very hard to judge the ride until it has been built and you have riden it or at the very least seen much more detailed plans including detailed views of the rides layout and theming.

---- Post Info Added ----

[quote]Not sure how your working that out but ok...
Corkscrew is just over 100ft tall, so using that has a guide I'd say SW6 will be 85ft or there abouts.
/quote]

Corkscrew was 75ft high and ritas high point is 68ft
theflamingbrick

[quote=""Big Dave""][quote=""theflamingbrick""][quote=""Ash""]Can anyone translate the height plan to that of the layout so we can get an overall shot of the layout?[/quote]

You cant really work out the overall height layout by those pictures but you can get a rough idea. For instance the reduced level of the coaster is given in relation to rita. Taking into account that the ground is level (which it wont be) you can see that its 31cm smaller than rita in height. But it may go into an excavation unlike rita, so it may have a much bigger drop.

I personally am quite excited by this ride. If you look at the plans, the second highest point on the ride looks like its the part of the switch back in the station building. This means a fast, terrain hugging coaster!! I find nothing wrong with that, especially if its going through the trees and themeing aswell.[/quote]

Not sure how your working that out but ok...
Corkscrew is just over 100ft tall, so using that has a guide I'd say SW6 will be 85ft or there abouts.[/quote]

I worked it out by the reduced levels. Its something used in surveying. If you look at the new coaster, it has a level at its heighest point of 200.86m above sea level. Ritas heighest point is 201.17m. Therefore the difference between the 2 coasters is 31cm in height. So if this coaster dropped to the same ground level of rita aswell then this would be about 67ft. I think, however that the coaster will drop more than this by going into some sort of excavation or downhill.

Corckscrew is only 203.03m which means its 2.17m higher than this new coaster. But as i said before this may not be true because we dont know the level of the bottom of the drop. If you turn this into ft to compare this to rita then the survey shown here is theoretically correct because 2m is roughly 7 feet. 68ft (of rita) plus 7 feet is 75ft which is the recorded height of corkscrew.

Sorry if ive made it difficult to understand, but this proves that the heights shown in this survey are correct when we compare them to the heights we know found on rcdb for instance. It may have a bigger or smaller drop than corckscrew and rita, but theres no way of telling until we get the levels of all the points on the coaster.
Big Dave

Yeah well I did say previously it was sea level but got corrected on MSN. Glad to know I was right afterall. Corkscrew is over 100ft tall, the drop is 75feet. Pretty certain Corky was the highest ride on park and they only managed to get away with it because it was constructed prior to the big ooh ahh over height and noise.
Maelstrom

according to RCDB.com corkscrew is 75ft and the drop is 68ft. This is the same for the corkscrew at flamingoland.
Big Dave

Hmmm fair enough, always thought it was much higher than that. Anyways if this new coaster is going to have a drop around 75ft, it begs the question, will this coaster be able to pull off this idea of being a big dipper with extra features, or will its just be a fairly slow, short and boring coaster?
And.

[quote=""Big Dave""]Hmmm fair enough, always thought it was much higher than that. Anyways if this new coaster is going to have a drop around 75ft, it begs the question, will this coaster be able to pull off this idea of being a big dipper with extra features, or will its just be a fairly slow, short and boring coaster?[/quote]

I've not seen anything anywhere to suggest that this will have ideas of being a "big dipper" banded around it - either officially or unofficially.

Terrain-hugging coaster, yes, but certainly not a big dipper.

Problem is, people are writing the actual coaster off based off a wireframe height model which doesn't really show very much about the layout. We see what height the coaster will be, and an approxmiation of the layout, but we don't know how it gets around the track, or more importantly - the theme - which will be what makes or breaks this ride.

Yes, I too am disappointed about the cattle-pen queueline - but there is more to SW6 than just the queueline and the coaster - don't get me wrong - the coaster will be the centrepiece of the project, naturally, but there's the rest of Ug Land to be thinking about too. What support rides will be in place? Where will these rides go? What the theme will ultimately be? What happens in THAT building?!
ghulam786

Where does it say that que and sw6's que will be rubbish a bit like rita's
coaster maniac
Craig

Since we're starting to get further information floating around now, as promised there's now a new topic created. It can be found HERE! so please continue discussion in there :D

I'll lock this topic, but of course it will still be available for viewing, and a link to it is in the first post of the new topic.