2010: Secret Weapon 6 Part One

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Crofty

If they took away Corkscrew and re-directed the Rita queuline then there would be loads of space in which to move the area out into the wooded part of UG Land.
I'm not too keen on the racing theme, it's been done now.

:D :D
Liam

I wouldn't be overly surprised if it were a plant - that was my initial thought on seeing the images.

My recommendations would be to ditch the last concept completely, the racing just doesn't work and is boring as a theme in my opinion.

The Machines could work excellently as a future retheme for X-SECTOR when the Black Hole is sorted or in another area.

To take full advantage of Uglands position next to the woodland and the possibility of something in the valley, as well as a long history in the park, I agree with Ash in going for 'Dark Forest'. It could be very Lord of the Rings-esque.

Which ever one though, I think Ugland should be completely ripped up (minus Rita). :P
I really dislike the current theme - although it would be strange for them to do since it's one of the newest areas in the park, even if it was only half done.
Last edited by Liam on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jakob

Surely, if they get rid of corky ( sigh ) then the ug swinger either removed/relocated and all the shops etc in Ugland re-themed etc... they would have lots of space, thats without even going into the forest.

But I'm still sure I can see Oblivion in one of the Dark Forest pictures :? But I can't see this happening in X Sector... Not when theres Ugland, with it's mish-mash identity to play around with.

It could tie-in with John Wardley being seen in Ugland...
Ok maybe I'm trying to tie everything in with everything, but these pictures are very exciting :D
Ollie

[quote=""Mani""]But I'm still sure I can see Oblivion in one of the Dark Forest pictures :? [/quote]

Im not sure thats Oblivion. For one the Car is facing the up the Vertical Track and not down. It may be representing a Eurofighter as Ash said.

Could we be looking at 2 different projects? An Ug-Land retheme then an extension of another area? or maybe a new area?

The Racer theme and Dark Forest theme clearly clash with one another, Rita would not fit into a Dark Forest theme :?.

Either way it looks to be a massive project and a massive discussion.

:D
Liam

[quote=""RidinRita""]Im not sure thats Oblivion. For one the Car is facing the up the Vertical Track and not down. It may be representing a Eurofighter as Ash said. [/quote]

It is edited from Oblivion's original concept image though - which is a bit strange. :?
Ash

True, its a Eurofighter going "up" a vertical lift from out of a whole.

In all the concepts there seems to be massive landscaping projects! Ravines, large rocks, tunnels, waterfalls etc :)
Liam

[quote=""Ash""]In all the concepts there seems to be massive landscaping projects! Ravines, large rocks, tunnels, waterfalls etc [/quote]
Yup that's a good point. And one thing that many of the 'elite theming theme parks' have in common is that many of the recent rides involve a lot of landscaping!

See: Mystery Mine, Black Mamba, Expedition Everest... and the old Alton Towers; Oblivion and Nemesis!
Chris J

[quote=""Ash""]In all the concepts there seems to be massive landscaping projects! Ravines, large rocks, tunnels, waterfalls etc [/quote]

Just like Air's original plans then :wink:
Liam

Airs orginal plans aren't too much different to what's there today, just some more waterfalls and lakes.
But you do raise a very valid point of could they do it, and would they be able to do it on their budget?
Anonymous

Just for the record I don't work for Alton Towers or Merlin (I wish!!), but I have been a regular lurker on here, but never had anything interesting to say.

The survey I filled in was through a panel I am a member of, and I am a very bad panelist for sharing the info with you all.

Also they were specifically asking which of the two rides I though would be best, and were saying if they built it would I be more likely to visit AT in 2009.

And finally customisable movement pattern for the RoboArm were mentioned in the stuff I red, saying each ride would therefore be unique
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes

Who says that isn't Oblivion backwards? :P
IronDan

Extremely interesting whether genuine or not.

Finally something to follow. :D
Crofty

Can anyone make out the logos in the bottom right of the first Three pictures?
They look like the begin with an S.

:) :)
Jakob

[quote=""Wes""]Who says that isn't Oblivion backwards? :P[/quote]

:shock: My mind is well and truly boggled now haha!

Maybe it's showing what the coaster would be like diving into the valley?

And the theming that the pictures show makes me think of the theming achieved with Nemesis, I am hoping this level is achieved again :D

Yet, I am still very much confused about what all this is actually telling us... Dark Forests with backwards Oblivion? A Race themed with creatures? Machines in Ugland?
Maybe this is what Alton wanted, for us to be speculating like crazy about them! (Which I loooove! :D :D )
seanyboyuk

that robocoaster thing sucks imo they should goto small developing parks. alton needs some groundbreaking its been too long
Sir John Talbot

Oh... my... god! :D Immense!

OK. Possibilities from my perspective:

Ug-Land is the most obvious area here I think. It is the most 'forest like' with all those trees, has the Valley, and is in a dire state and could be easily invested in. But... how to integrate Rita to this immense themes could be hard. I don't see Alton willing to remarket Rita as an entirely different ride really. So, I just don't see Ug-Land with the full-blown Dark Forest theme, though it fits the area so well. And there is SO much space to do this too! A huge area behind Corkscrew - imagine if Corky were gone! And the valley!

One possibility I did think... derelict race course! The area is totally overgrown and shrouded with mystery! This holds many innovative possibilities. There could be old machines wrapped in shrubbery in this overgrown mythical area ready to malfunction and attack. There could be monsters lurking in the depths of the ravine!

Other possibilities. Coaster Corner?! Gloomy Wood?! The Creatures/Machines themes did remind me a lot of Forbidden Valley, and there is that space behind Air?!

Ooooh this is fun. I missed this. :D.
Last edited by Sir John Talbot on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moley

Dark Forest

Dark Forest

Dark Forest

Do it! :P
Wes

[quote=""Sir John Talbot""]But... how to integrate Rita to this immense themes could be hard. I don't see Alton willing to remarket Rita as an entirely different ride really.[/quote]

I disagree with both of those statements. Anything is possible and with Corkscrew possibly going - It will be AT's best intentions to make something BIG out of this.
Ash

It says Merlin Studios in the corners i think, and also its not Oblivion backwards its a Eurofighter lift :)
Matt

Is anybody else worried that this seems to follow something to do with them
"byonical" figurines?

the designs.
the names.
"racers"
"creatures"

robots?! :lol: :lol:

i must say. if this isnt the case i bloody love this!

finally we see SOMETHING!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

mat
:)x