Bose and Alton Towers

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Kaz

Link!

Interesting information as to how Bose worked with Tussauds to create some stunning sound effects.

Enjoy.
BULBOUS

To be honest, I think that whilst in some places the sound in the park is really well done, (I'm talking about mostly direction wise, as in if you can tell where the sound's coming from or not and whether you should be able to), such as Terror of The Towers, Air's station, the Extraordinary toilet's glooping bog sound effect, and Duel. (You know the EEEEAAAIRRGH bit, I think it's really clever how it sounds like it's following you and in the station with the voices.)

However, in some places like Towers Street and Katanga Canyon, it's crap. Sound based in only one or two places, no coverage whatsoever.

It's hit and miss.

*waits for anti-Bose comments* ;)
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.
altontowerskid

I believe the only way you can be anti-bose is because of the price, the sound quality is amazing, i dont care if anyone comes out with diagrams to show that the sound isn't all that good - if im hearing it good, it must be good and i love everything about Bose. Rides like Hex show how sound can really take you into an attraction and how bass and high notes can be easily distinguised between one another and amazing sound can create a sense of fear, happiness or even sadness. Sound can create all of this and what Bose do, is make it 100% better for the listeners. There Bass Cannons are exceptional (when used correctly - hint to Thorpe) and the surround sounds that can be created are also unbelievable.

One personal thing that always gets me is that in the Hex Cinema Room they only use 2 Bose Panaray 802's and yet the sound is full, bassy and crisp in a room the size of that, it really does amaze me at how powerful they can create their speakers.
Kaz

There Bass Cannons are exceptional (when used correctly - hint to Thorpe)
You know I really don’t get Thorpe, they must have spent a fortune of the two Bose cannons along with producing theme music with a really heavy beat. Yet not only do they never use the cannons they even got rid of the music that they were installed for.
Complete waste of money!
altontowerskid

It is a complete waste of money and also i dont think there is any need for 3 Bose Cannons in the Nemesis Inferno Station, a room of that size would only need two at most to provide amazing bass, but Thorpe spent extra and used them in a way that is really mocking the Bose speakers, they want to be used!! :)
Jon

That article just sortof reiterates how clever the original ride / area pieces of music were, perfect as they were tailor made with the specific attraction in mind and stupid that the park considered them not to be played again!

Ah well...water under the bridge? :P :roll:

Of what you hear of the bose speakers, they are excellent. They just need more in certain areas to create the right affect. Towers Street and Katanga Canyon, as has been mention, don't seem to have sufficiant coverage. I understand that it is a much smaller area, therefore easier to cover, but Gloomy Wood seems to have it blob on. As soon as you near the clearing in the densely wooded path and begin to hear that eerie drone, I can never supress a shiver down my spine!
Formerly "Dagoo"
teavee

Theres a bass cannon in the Octagon in Hex, that sounds amazing. But I think the audio in the vault is poor....it sounds almost metallic to me!
Thomas

Oblivion created in 2001
Where do they get there info from? :P

I'm not much good in the sense i know about sound and speakers, but some places the music/sounds are great like around The Flume and Nemesis, yet then in other place like around Oblivion the music seems to be crap, you cant hardly hear it.
Nick

Oblivions music is quiet to comply with the noise abatement order
Luke

I don't think Oblivion plays the actual music piece itself. They haven't played it for a few years now. The music you hear is from the videos in the station and that's why it can't really be heard from the queueline. The volume's pretty high in the station though.
Nick

Usually it is playing in the queueline, but there is too much noise around to hear. Same with the music on Spinball. Its barely audable
PeteB

[quote=""Nick""]Oblivions music is quiet to comply with the noise abatement order[/quote]

I think they're doing this all around the park now aren't they? With the exception of Duel I think most of the speakers in the ride queuelines have been disconnected. Air only has 1 speaker playing near the queue entrance, towers street only plays at the very top near the gates, all of KC's are off, forbiden valley only has about 3 speakers connected and in the nemisis station the subwoofers have been disconnected.

Good idea really because bass frequencies travel further than the high ones, but I think the park has really lost its atmosphere with this 'quietness'.
BULBOUS

The music's got louder since the start of the season, I think. TS's bottom speakers have been reconnected, I noticed that there was actually music in KC, you can hear Nemesis from the toilets between Duel and Forbidden Valley, and Air actually has music in the queue line.
Thomas

Nemesis music has been turned down this weekend since last. You could hear Nemesis music from the Towers the other week at night when the wind was blowing, sounded amazing.
X

[quote=""Thomas""]Nemesis music has been turned down this weekend since last. You could hear Nemesis music from the Towers the other week at night when the wind was blowing, sounded amazing.[/quote]

When I went you could hear it from near the overflow car park too!
$t£v£

I received a magazine from bose this morning telling me about their various products which i already have :roll:

And i stumbled across this page:

Just thought you might like to see it lol.
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.
jonathan leake

Chessingtons dodgems had 6 for the cannons and they were never used to protencial. But when i went last they had gone. Don't know were to.
follow spotter 1

bose are rubish (no highs no lows it must be bose)
BULBOUS

Well, it took two weeks longer than I thought it would, but there we go!
PeteB

[quote=""follow spotter 1""]bose are rubish (no highs no lows it must be bose)[/quote]

Bose aren't rubbish, they're one of the best sound system designers in the world. Actually, if you compare any of their systems like for like with any other designer I think you'll find bose wins.

The speakers you find in the queue lines and shops/restuarants aren't intended to be full range club PA systems.