Queue policy for disabled guests

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dormiens-Dave

if there are large groups of people with a disabled friend then the best method would be that one or two carers remain with the person whilst the rest queue then the disabled guest and carers join via the exit when the other reach the front of the queue.

That way they get to ride together without upsetting people.
Gemzie121

^ Brilliant idea. Now if people would do this & not take advantage It'd make things so much easier. No-one needs more than 2 carers.
Johno

The only point I would make, is that perhaps a good idea for the big (2 hour + queue at peak times) rides, would be to give disabled guests an ultimate fasttrack, that could only be used once on each ride.
Dormiens-Dave

its a tricky situation and one that always causes controversy that the towers wouldn't want. the Hospital i work in introduced parking charges for disabled visitors on the belief that disabled people have a right to parking close to the buildings but not for free parking and there was uproar.

Its always hard to win, but re-rides i think are definately out of order (maybe with the exception of the rapids.) and large groups of able-bodied people queue jumping with a disabled guest is also way out of the question.
Gemzie121

Just out of interest, whats queuing like for a wheelchair user on the rapids or is that a ride that isnt accessible? I can imagine its hard getting on and off the boats? do they have any provisions in place for the disabled to go on the rapids? I've heard on the flume they keep the boat still etc whilst you get on, is it the case on the rapids too? just had a thought because i cant imagine it being easy to access though i know my friend who is in a wheelchair would love to get a go on it. Could 2 people lift her in & out of the boat? (her carers), i cant remember what the rapids set up is like?
Vicki

No, rapids is I think the only ride that isn't accessible. I've heard its because they can't just stop one boat like they can on the Flume. A shame really as it's a fun ride for groups.
The Lonely end of the Rink- a great song, and it\'s usually the case when I go ice skating because I just can\'t keep up!
Chris1

however you still have to queue for a while
The main problem with many of Alton Towers big rides is that it's simply impossible to get a wheelchair around the normal queueline; Nemesis, Air, Oblivion, the Flume and Rita all have steps or tight areas very close the station platform, thus making wheelchair access through the exit the only feasible solution....
Gemzie121

The other thing i thought of is if you take a wheelchair or mobility scooter through a normal entrance, if you did manage to get round you'd somehow have to get the wheelchair or mobility scooter over the track/around the ride so you can use the exit on most rides! Can you imagine trying that across oblivion for example. You could carry a wheelchair if you had to but a mobility scooter isnt going over the track! and last time i was there there wasnt enough room to take a scooter/wheelchair around Nemmi, not to mention you dont want to be trailing around the ride anyway (although we have to on Air to get back to the exit to reach the wheelchair etc you must go infront of another air carriage because you come back into another station on the opposite side and have to get their attention to safely get you back through).
Keira

Even if the queues and ride areas were more wheelchair accessiable, it would be slightly pointless as they'll be people - Like myself for example - Who aren't wheelchair bound and won't be using a wheelchair in the park but find it difficult to stand for a long period of time, or people with conditions such as autism etc who aren't good in crowds. So making the the queues wider to fit wheelchairs or making the main ride entrance more easy to get round wouldn't really solve any issues.
Last edited by Keira on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russell

Tbh after my day on park 2day I think the policy needs looking at as while i was queing for air a group of people came throught the disabled entrance and none of them had problems walking or were in wheelchairs. Now of course I may be wrong as I dont no anything about these people but im just saying how it seemed. I have no problems with people with real disabilities queing in this manner but I feel a lot of people abuse it just to skip the ques
Since April 2008
Keira

[quote=""Russell""]Tbh after my day on park 2day I think the policy needs looking at as while i was queing for air a group of people came throught the disabled entrance and none of them had problems walking or were in wheelchairs. Now of course I may be wrong as I dont no anything about these people but im just saying how it seemed. I have no problems with people with real disabilities queing in this manner but I feel a lot of people abuse it just to skip the ques[/quote]

Ummmm, I don't think you can really judge who had a disability that deserves to make use of the system and who dosen't. Not all disabilties are obvious - I'd even say perhaps the majority aren't! Everyone has to show proof that they are registered disabled so it's not that easy to abuse the system.
Chris W

They must have had some sort of disability or they would not have been given access to skip the lines. Would I be right in thinking you need a doctors note or be registered disabled?

If someone needs to skip the lines for medical reasons I have no reason why I would be against them doing this.
1) Because, medically, they need to. (The most important one)
2) A few people are not going to make me wait longer to get on the rides.
McFlurry

This is the thing though there so many things you can be classed as being disabled for. Being too short and too tall as an example.

My mate is classed as disabled as he has MS, but when he goes to a theme park he joins the queue like everyone else.

It's the whole point of where do you draw the line though. :?

Generally though, unless they are in a wheelchair to be honest I strugle too see why someone should get to skip the queue, after all if someone is unable to queue you need to question why they are at the park.
Keira

[quote=""aly""]Generally though, unless they are in a wheelchair to be honest I strugle too see why someone should get to skip the queue, after all if someone is unable to queue you need to question why they are at the park.[/quote]

What? What about people with problems wear they can't stand still for a long period of time? What about people with mental disabilities who can't stand in the crowds?

The idea that if someone is unable to be in the queue there's no reason for them to be in the park is just stupid. :?

And, also, the reason being unusually tall or small can be classified as a disability is because more often then not the person suffers many physical problems because of it.
Big Dave

The current system doesnt work well, but you cannot say someone isnt disabled just because they can walk. Disabilities come in many forms and anyone can have them. Dont judge people as being not disabled until you have all the facts.
Russell

[quote=""Big Dave""]The current system doesnt work well, but you cannot say someone isnt disabled just because they can walk. Disabilities come in many forms and anyone can have them. Dont judge people as being not disabled until you have all the facts.[/quote]

I didnt say this. I no you shouldnt judge just by how people look and I did say I may be wrong. I was mainly judging by the way they were acting and what they were saying and was mearly using this to point out that the system is flawed. My sister could be judged as disabled as she has Cystic Fibrosis and this can affect her lungs amongst other things but shes more than happy to que up with everyone else.
Since April 2008
PETER MOWBRAY

Who are we to judge Disabled people..?

I have had this discussion before but Alton Towers does actually have a strict Disabled policy..
To qualify you have to have a Disability and this must be supported by either a medical certificate a blue badge or proof that you are receiving DLA..
Now the person with the Disability and upto 4 carers are allowed to receive a band but..the ride host on the ride can actually refuse to allow these carers to ride so discretion is used..

Broken arms/legs and other transient ailments do NOT qualify for Disability bands at Alton Towers.

Is this system fair well I dont know if I am being honest it is open to abuse and I have read some things on here that have indeed shocked me like the 9 people re-riding the Spinball whizzer ride as was reported the other day..
For the latest news and quality updates from Blackpool & The Pleasure Beach look here..
Click on the Domain..! [url=http://www.liveinblackpool.co.uk\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.liveinblackpool.co.uk[/url]
Gemzie121

[quote=""aly""]

Generally though, unless they are in a wheelchair to be honest I strugle too see why someone should get to skip the queue, after all if someone is unable to queue you need to question why they are at the park.[/quote]

Looks like I must give up theme parks too then because I dont always use a wheelchair and can walk a bit. Great.

Russel, if you read my essay on psage 7 it shows how disability can be very real but very hidden.

Shame on those who do abuse the system.
Dormiens-Dave

Anyone considered that these people may have been disabled guests, they could have had exit passes from a ride breakdown or the ultimate queue jump ticket that you pay a hell of a lot of money for.
Russell

Gemzie I agree that all disabilities are not visible, my sister is proof of this and as I've already said I have no problem with people cutting the ques if they are genuine and I know a lot of people do abuse the system, not just at Alton but all over the country. Im sorry if i've offended anyone on here and I must admit the way I wrote what I was trying to say was done in completely the wrong way and also far too harsh. I guess I was tired when I wrote it. Sorry again guys I was just trying to get the point across that I think some of the policy needs reviewing
Since April 2008