New for 2008: Mutiny Bay

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
plasticboy

I really dont like the sound of this. Dont get me wrong, a pirate area sounds great, but just not in Merrie England. Its too close to the park entrance IMO. Surely theming for a pirate area would have to be elaborate and would stand out quite a fair bit; we dont need another eyesore as people enter the park, Spinball does that already!!!

I dont think a widely themed area will work near the front of the park.
Gashead

[quote=""Liam""]Yup exactly - you can do some really amazing things with fountains these days - and once they're there you can change the sequences every year to provide a new show. Maybe fire effects too.[/quote]

Liking you idea Liam, Cant for the life of me seeing them doing anything like these though :? Especaily in the lake there.
Green.Wing

[quote=""Gashead""][quote=""Liam""]Yup exactly - you can do some really amazing things with fountains these days - and once they're there you can change the sequences every year to provide a new show. Maybe fire effects too.[/quote]

Liking you idea Liam, Cant for the life of me seeing them doing anything like these though :? Especaily in the lake there.[/quote]

HB wouldnt be happy either cus they would lose the golf :P
Ash

The lakes protected anyways so wouldnt be sure if they could unless it was semi permanent
Paddy

The main thing which i find hard to digest is the fact that Merrie England could of and can still be (with the right money) a fantasticly themed area. In my opinion it compliments the towers perfectly and with some of the listed buildings i.e. the tavern already very quintessensialy english all they would have to do would be add somesort of watercoaster mabye a mack (by extending into some of the coach parking or demolishing the flume). And then with just a touch more theming around the place i honestly think it could be one of the best areas on park :wink:
Good day to you
Satch

The problem I have with Merrie England is that it calls to the medieval era, which is far earlier than the Tower, themselves being a pretty modern and recent castle. I dont think they compliment each other well at all as there is a distinct lack of round turrets and screaming maidens and gallent knights. The Towers are a much more gothic architecture.

Because of this, I wont be sad to see it go
leejay

Satch you are right - it's a complete clash of historical era's, but, at least it's English! I always saw Merrie England as the place with the '£' sign on top. Shops, arcade, shops, game stalls, shops, food, aracade, oh lets throw a ride here, shop. pib, aracde, photo shop. For that reason, I also am happy to wave goodby to an area that could be so much better without being yelled at!
Mattia

Pib? Like the sound of that :D

No, i will be sad to see it go...An historical clash is much better than some cartoony pirate crap. Honestly walking down towers street to be faced with a disgraceful pirate area round the corner? Oh god...shoot me now...
AstroDan

The thing is, it isn't going to be like Spinball Whizzer. Walking down Towers Street will be exactly the same.

To go round to the left and see a hopefully fantastic Splash Battle with theming will be a darn sight better than the awfully bland and poor Splash Kart challenge - which you have to pay £3 to ride anyway.

I think it'll be an improvment - although I do hope they stick to their guns and don't theme it cheesily/tattily!
Wildchild

I wouldnt theme the area and bring it back to a vintage feel like talbot street. Would make it neat. I went yesturday and couldnt see spinball as the trees have grown so it hides nicly
Blackhole tent and retheme 2008 I hope

BEWARE Staffordshire uni rugby union lads doing it large at Alton towers on the 14th
a.ndy

Re-theme of Karts to Pirate boats probs :roll:
Paddy

Actually I can see where your coming from with the clash thing but with clashes such as ug land going on and forbidden valley i.e. air i think it would certianly be able to be swept under the rug for a while., Just a side note. Im new here i have been reading for about 5 years but never bothered to register so hello to all :D
Good day to you
Dormiens-Dave

i don't think the pirate theme would effect the entrance to the towers, you can't see merry england or the tavern until you turn left at the bottom of towers street and then all you can really see is the old swan boats area and the side of the old stables/ tavern. the rest of the area is very much shrouded by trees. and i good quality pirate ship on the lake will not i think effect the lakes grandness like spinball does to the towers. and old world galleon would fit in well with the area unlike an (apparently) giant pinball machine
Wildchild

It wouldnt effect the area it would look good but lets go vintage keep the tea cups add a caralsol, a ferris wheel, the swans keep the bath tubes. It would look sweet with jazz singers and a street band much like alton of 1989.
Blackhole tent and retheme 2008 I hope

BEWARE Staffordshire uni rugby union lads doing it large at Alton towers on the 14th
Mattia

I never have been keen on the idea and never will be...(until it grows on me) merrie england for me is the stepping stone to the other more "intense*" themed areas...However, the pirate area will be BANG shoved in your face and be overwhelming. Something i'm not keen on...

*not that they are themed intensely... :lol:
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

I heard on the grape vine that staff have been told now it's not happening due to the early planning permission was denyed and Alton were told work has to be done out of season to which Alton said they can't do it all in closed season. :?

Can anyone confirm if this is that case or not?
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Wes

I haven't heard anything from staff about this, Normally if the staff were to be told offical information, it would be printed in The Source. Unless it has been printed in this and hasn't reached TTF yet, its meerly a rumor.

It doesn't sound very reliable though, they would have looked into the planning before releasing this information and they can surely do work to whatever part of the park whenever they want, they haven't really got anyone who can tell them they can't close off an area and work on it.
Jon

Also, we know there isn't going to be anything huge going in that area; their simply isn't space. I can't see the park begrudged a flat or two?
Formerly "Dagoo"
haydn!

[quote=""Muggins""]...and they can surely do work to whatever part of the park whenever they want, they haven't really got anyone who can tell them they can't close off an area and work on it.[/quote]

Health & Safety? Merlin?

Either one of those could request the work gets carried out during a period of time when there is less risk to guests on park. Plus, Merrie England is a big commerical spot on the park, Merlin could easily stop the park from closing the huge source of income.
AstroDan

I highly doubt it's been scrapped.

:)