New for 2008: Mutiny Bay

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
mooneyman

A walkway with animatronics would be brilliant. I would be very happy with that.

I dont expect it though.
Wes

Construction people have been seen on park today! :D
Adam

[quote=""Muggins""]Construction people have been seen on park today! :D[/quote]

Doing what exactly? Just having a nosey?

Adäm x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Wes

Not 100% sure. Cavaghan construction workers so I hear?
AstroDan

[quote=""Muggins""]Construction people have been seen on park today! :D[/quote]

To be fair, construction people are at Towers all the time.
Ash

True, could be anything. Nowt to get exicited about, although with the Merlin guys on park the day before...
Ant

[quote=""AstroDan""][quote=""Muggins""]Construction people have been seen on park today! :D[/quote]

To be fair, construction people are at Towers all the time.[/quote]

No Dans right always men with things about, Hopefully we will see Russ plan a huge Erection of sumthink soon or it could be a huge Flop. 2008 :P

But work would needto get underway as soon as closed season hits I dont want another in a long line of unfinished, rushed work
Liam

Anyone know which buildings are listed in Merry England? I know the tavern is but not sure about everything else. There are some old stables there aren't there? :-?

Looked on the planning site but it shows nothing.
Rob
Admin
Admin

Should we not be seeing a planning application soon as the closed season is fast approaching.
Adam

Depending on what they are planning, we may not see one. That area of the park has restrictions already set, so unless they are wanting to breach these restrictions, I don't think they require Planning Permission.

Adäm x
Squiggles

[quote=""Liam""]Anyone know which buildings are listed in Merry England? I know the tavern is but not sure about everything else. There are some old stables there aren't there? :-?[/quote]

(Forgive me if I get this wrong, but the rules and restrictions on ME are quite complicated and I'm doing this off the top of my head, where things are hazy at best)

The Tavern is the old stables/farm building. The building containing the Juggler's Donuts, etc may also be listed alongside this, but I'm not 100% sure: it might actually classed as being the same building as the Tavern and there certainly has been a building on the same site since Victorian times (when it was a blacksmiths), though whether the current building is the same one I don't really know.

I think the other listed structure in the area is the retaining wall for the Tavern (as in the castellated wall of the Splash Kart Lake), lots of the retaining walls around the park seem to be listed structures... probably because if they were allowed to collapse then the building above them would go as well, through "natural causes"

The area also sits in the middle of different classifications of land as well. I believe a conservation area (as in the gardens' conservation area) cuts through the middle of it... so while all of the publicly accessible areas of the area are within the conservation area, the buildings just off it aren't, so while for example Merrie Mayhem, the 3D Cinema and the Skyride station are within the area, the Skyride storage shed, the medical centre, towers street and Magic HQ are not.

And on top of that one you also have the Ingestre GDO. To imagine this area join the dots, start at the corner of Magic HQ closest to the rapids then draw a line across to the extraordinary loos in Towers Street, then to Corner Coffee. From Corner Coffee Draw a line to the Skyride Station. Follow the line of the station wall and draw a line straight to the tavern, the trace around the tavern until you get to the Day Designer Booth by the Splash Karts. Finally draw a line straight from that booth back to the corner of Magic HQ. Et voila... one ready made GDO (or the outline of one of the states of America... you decide) That's not quite the shape of the GDO, but it's close enough for you to get the idea.

Basically, most of ME is within a GDO, except for, The Flume, the Splash Karts, the Mexican Catina, Knights Feast (McD's). So I would assume if they were planning to do anything major with the Splash Kart lake we should see an application go in for it.
Edwardo..... move me!
Liam

Thanks for that Phil! :D Always can rely on you!
Mathmosman

[quote=""Squiggles""][quote=""Liam""]Anyone know which buildings are listed in Merry England? I know the tavern is but not sure about everything else. There are some old stables there aren't there? :-?[/quote]

(Forgive me if I get this wrong, but the rules and restrictions on ME are quite complicated and I'm doing this off the top of my head, where things are hazy at best)

The Tavern is the old stables/farm building. The building containing the Juggler's Donuts, etc may also be listed alongside this, but I'm not 100% sure: it might actually classed as being the same building as the Tavern and there certainly has been a building on the same site since Victorian times (when it was a blacksmiths), though whether the current building is the same one I don't really know.

I think the other listed structure in the area is the retaining wall for the Tavern (as in the castellated wall of the Splash Kart Lake), lots of the retaining walls around the park seem to be listed structures... probably because if they were allowed to collapse then the building above them would go as well, through "natural causes"

The area also sits in the middle of different classifications of land as well. I believe a conservation area (as in the gardens' conservation area) cuts through the middle of it... so while all of the publicly accessible areas of the area are within the conservation area, the buildings just off it aren't, so while for example Merrie Mayhem, the 3D Cinema and the Skyride station are within the area, the Skyride storage shed, the medical centre, towers street and Magic HQ are not.

And on top of that one you also have the Ingestre GDO. To imagine this area join the dots, start at the corner of Magic HQ closest to the rapids then draw a line across to the extraordinary loos in Towers Street, then to Corner Coffee. From Corner Coffee Draw a line to the Skyride Station. Follow the line of the station wall and draw a line straight to the tavern, the trace around the tavern until you get to the Day Designer Booth by the Splash Karts. Finally draw a line straight from that booth back to the corner of Magic HQ. Et voila... one ready made GDO (or the outline of one of the states of America... you decide) That's not quite the shape of the GDO, but it's close enough for you to get the idea.

Basically, most of ME is within a GDO, except for, The Flume, the Splash Karts, the Mexican Catina, Knights Feast (McD's). So I would assume if they were planning to do anything major with the Splash Kart lake we should see an application go in for it.[/quote]

My word Squiggles - how do you know all of this?! I', astonished, I really am.
Matt

a pirate theme is used at drayton manor, and it works great!
i think itd be a great idea, cos merrie england is all over the place at the mo, i mean whats merrie old england about bathtime?!?!

lol

matt
xxxx
Mikey

Apparently height balloons were seen on park today at approx. 200ft around the merrie england area. It was shaped like bart simpson.

Whatever AT manage to pull out the bag with this one I hope they go all out. I don't want wooden facades on the buildings like CATCF.
If you\'re reading this post it means I have emerged from my TTF cave during my annual forage for food.
Squiggles

[quote=""Mathmosman""]My word Squiggles - how do you know all of this?! I', astonished, I really am.[/quote]

Umm... the random stuff I know about AT... I just gather information... it clings to me like barnacles to some sort of whale!

At some point you have to worry... but I believe that point will come when I have finally learnt how many litter bins were used during the 1997 season. :lol:

As it stands I can tell you the ins and outs of planning laws (mid 90s and now), the entire entertainment line up of the 1998 season and the entire history of the Traction Engine Museum, which used to sit just behind the Driving School... in fact still does sit back there, the engines may have gone, but the museum lives on!!

Not that I'm wierd mind.
Edwardo..... move me!
Johno

[quote=""Squiggles""][quote=""Mathmosman""]My word Squiggles - how do you know all of this?! I', astonished, I really am.[/quote]

Umm... the random stuff I know about AT... I just gather information... it clings to me like barnacles to some sort of whale!

At some point you have to worry... but I believe that point will come when I have finally learnt how many litter bins were used during the 1997 season. :lol:

As it stands I can tell you the ins and outs of planning laws (mid 90s and now), the entire entertainment line up of the 1998 season and the entire history of the Traction Engine Museum, which used to sit just behind the Driving School... in fact still does sit back there, the engines may have gone, but the museum lives on!!

Not that I'm wierd mind.[/quote]

Sorry but that is really sad :D

Although it would be cool to know all that :wink:
spark

[quote=""Mikey""]Apparently height balloons were seen on park today at approx. 200ft around the merrie england area. It was shaped like bart simpson.

Whatever AT manage to pull out the bag with this one I hope they go all out. I don't want wooden facades on the buildings like CATCF.[/quote]

How do they know the height was 200ft?
towersdude

[quote=""Mikey""]Apparently height balloons were seen on park today at approx. 200ft around the merrie england area. It was shaped like bart simpson.
[/quote]

...seen shortly after a small boy underneath was crying about letting go of his balloon

i very much doubt anything 200ft would arrive at AT, especially not in ME
Adam

I think he was trying to be funny, hence the Bart Simpson comment. If not, he's just talking sh*t.

Adäm x