New for 2008: Mutiny Bay

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ash

Hey,

Because of the recent news of what we can expect for 2008 i thought id make a new topic to clear confusion. The park have in some form, released information about what they hope to install for 2008. This consists of....

And I have it in Black and White!

2 New Rides (FOR MERRIE ENGLAND)
1 Rethemed Tea Cups
Merrie England Rethemed/Flattened
This is called Project Penzance (Guess the theme)
It is imed at Families
Splash Karts Removal (Rumored)
All for the 2008 season, opening date unknown

This could mean many different things....My own personal guesses/rumors
A Pirates Theme?
Shoot The Chute Ride?
Just Add Water Attraction?
Flattening of Merrie England?
Tavern Re Themed

For discussion on the Battle Galleons ride prior to December 2007 visithere!
Last edited by Ash on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leejay

The 2 new rides im guessing will be flats. I don't see how Alton Towers can fit a coaster there, unless the flume is ripped out, which I highly doubt will happen.
Thomas

It doesn't necessarily mean 2 new rides in Merrie England does it?

Maybe a new ride somewhere else in the park.
leejay

Oh thats very veyr true! It sounds liek rollercoaster preperation though. Lost of tidyinng and rethemeing. Looks like they are preparing for a coaster the following season. I just can't see Alton getting a secret weapon going for next year.
Maelstrom

what about the flume as it is in the middle of merry england, If area having pirate theme it can't be left how it is, but in its current form will have only been open for 4 seasons. However i wouldn't take much to retheme the boats (ie remove the taps and give them a paint and add some pirate logs to each boat) plus remove the few bits of bath theming and replace with piarte theming.
leejay

It is easier yes. But the problem is Imperial Lather will have paid sponsorship and thus Alton Towers will have a contract with them until a certain date. Anyone know when that season ends?
Ash

Flume will stay the same.

Teacups may move slightly.

3D cinema may have a new flim? Pirates 4d? Or the building destroyed.

Please take note to the first post, ive tried to make it as clear and precise as possible.
Wildchild

Where the news come from Titler, do you have a link.
Blackhole tent and retheme 2008 I hope

BEWARE Staffordshire uni rugby union lads doing it large at Alton towers on the 14th
Shent

[quote=""Wildchild""]Where the news come from Titler, do you have a link.[/quote]

The source.
......The one and only... :sus:
Sir John Talbot

I'm kinda biting my nails at this. Merrie England is in dire need of a retheme and has been for a long time, but are Alton capable of really making this something? I mean, the Flume still being their as obnoxiously bright as ever is a blatant oxymoron to any 'retheme' will Pirates (unless they go for a bright, obnoxious cartoony pirate theme, which in turn clashes with the Tavern).

I am very excited at the idea of some of the awful games units, food places and 3D cinemas making a removal though. Starting with a clean slate (Damn Flume! :evil:) is the only/better way to go.

I'd be happy to see Just Add Water! Looks pretty good. But I really hope, whatever they do, it is extravagent! Get some really high end themeing into the place - we know Alton can do it, and we know Merlin have funded some amazing themeing (Gardaland anybody), so this will be a real test of their chemisty. I can imagine it now. Huge, extravagent ship masts residing beside the Tavern, with all new wooden signage. A suave, fresh looking teac cups, bathed in faux wood panelling. A Splash Kart ride.. somewhere. I could work so well if they really went at it.

B..but the Flume just contradicts everything :x.
Chris1

In one way i'm excited by this news, ME is in need of some attention but as others have said, are Alton Towers of 2007 capable of retheming an entire area without anything clashing?

Charlie and Rita were both dire mistakes in terms of planning and theming and I just can't help but feel that this may be another. Alton need to sort out so much more before faffing around with ME anyways, Cred Street and the Black Hole tent are the bigger priority's...

We could do with a thrill ride and a family attraction next year rather than just the latter...
Johno

Has anyone got any plans for this Just add water thing?

And can we see this thing where all this has come from?

Totally unexpected. Maybe thats why katanga's games unit was introduced. Because of something being demolished.

Does this thing actually say two new rides for Merry Kingdom, or could they be anywhere on park?
Redcoat Jase

Oh, I hope the Tea Cups don't turn into something crappy like 'Storm in a Tea Cup' at Thorpe? I don't really get that ride, it's not really anything is it? :|

Anyway, Sounds promising but I hope it's nothing to obvious, like dodgy animatronics or whatever!

'Just Add Water' would be brilliant for the Ingestre Lake, and a few Cannon Balls and a few Pirate Skull and Crossbone banners would look ace! :) - The Tavern would still work well as the tavern, and now that it has one of them entertainment license thingys, perhaps we'll be seeing a few sea-shanty sing-a-long style Entertainment? - Maybe a re theme of the UG Land Tree House would be a nice addition, with Pirates climbing all over it and shouting 'abuse'! :lol:

I hope we get somekind of POTC Attraction, and the Thorpe Park Theme Music would work wonders to compliment the area! :D :lol:

I hope the Flume is making it's last appearance this season too! :)
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum
Sir John Talbot

Hmm.. Alton Woods anyone?
Ash

[quote=""Johno""]Has anyone got any plans for this Just add water thing?

Totally unexpected. Maybe thats why katanga's games unit was introduced. Because of something being demolished.

Does this thing actually say two new rides for Merry Kingdom, or could they be anywhere on park?[/quote]

Please read my post, i dont say things for the sake of it, 2 rides in Merrie England! And one Tea Cups retheme, at the moment its heading for ME nowhere else
haydn!

[quote=""Sir John Talbot""]I am very excited at the idea of some of the awful games units, food places and 3D cinemas making a removal though. Starting with a clean slate (Damn Flume! :evil:) is the only/better way to go.[/quote]

The new HB Leisure units are part of a multi-million expansion project of the games operation within Alton Towers. It is unlikely the number of games in ME will be reduced, they'll most likely be redeveloped or relocated - and its more probable the number of midway amusements will be increased.
Chris1

Johno wrote:
Has anyone got any plans for this Just add water thing?

Does this thing actually say two new rides for Merry Kingdom, or could they be anywhere on park?

Please read my post, i dont say things for the sake of it, 2 rides in Merrie England! And one Tea Cups retheme, at the moment its heading for ME nowhere else
Whens this planned for then Titler......???? :P
Joking

This seems like a good idea, I just hope Alton invest enough money to pull it off....
The new HB Leisure units are part of a multi-million expansion project of the games operation within Alton Towers. It is unlikely the number of games in ME will be reduced, they'll most likely be redeveloped or relocated - and its more probable the number of midway amusements will be increased.
Does anybody know how much money these games make each day?...

It must be quite a bit for them to invest so much...
Last edited by Chris1 on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ash

Well rumored places for games units....

End Of Towers Street.....(i hope not) and the grass to the right of X-Sector entrance. Also more going back into Merrie England.

ME should hopefully be revamped for 2008.
haydn!

[quote=""Titler""]End Of Towers Street.....(i hope not) and the grass to the right of X-Sector entrance. Also more going back into Merrie England.[/quote]

A fair bit of truth in those rumours, I heard those from a very reliable source several months ago.
Dr Pop Rocket

Woo, Finally some interesting information to speculate and talk about! :D
2 New Rides (FOR MERRIE ENGLAND)

Great! :)

The area hardly has a decent attraction to keep me there, I, as well as most people walk straight past it as nothing there is really worth giving it the time of day unless you want to eat or drink.

This will really be a boost to the area, so long as there fun, interesting, well themed rides that offer an experience then Alton will have hit two nails on the head, these rides no matter what the target audience need to really be appealing and something different to really get the crowds into the area and into the park.

They need to look at the Driving School to see why it's so successful, it's got a great gimmick that really appeals to everyone, you even get teenagers and adults wanting a go, but they can't, yet they still can enjoy the ride courtesy of it being so fascinating to watch with all the theming and interesting features it offers, that makes it an experience for everyone to enjoy, whether they be riding, watching or queueing.

So long as we do not have another Rita and CATCF on the way, I'll be happy, we need rides that are worthy of the UK's number one Theme Park.
1 Rethemed Tea Cups

Not sure what they could be re-themed to, but if it's an interesting theme, it might make the ride appeal to a lot more people, as everyone has been on a tea cup ride at least once in their life, as they are pretty much everywhere, but if the ME tea cups were to be re-themed into a unique and interesting theme, it would give the ride a much greater appeal to it.

So long as it's done well, it could be nothing but good.
Merrie England Rethemed/Flattened
:) and :|

The area is a complete dump, full of tacky arcade machines and games stall, as well as a vast amount of food outlets which just overwhelm you way too much.

The area is in dire need of a change and it's about time, although I'm happy about the possibility of Merrie England being completely flattened, I'm rather nervous about how Alton will re-theme it.

Lets face it, as most people know my confidence for Alton in the theming department is pretty low, thus the reason why I'm worried about this idea of a re-theme at present, I've got an image of this turning out to be a rather mish mash of a re-theme, some things themed, others not, then certain things themed to something completely different etc.

I just do not feel, Alton can pull of a consistent and well themed area at present, they have the budget to do so now, but whether they will is another question, I honestly hope I'm proven wrong and they deliver with something spectacular to really show they still can create in depth experiences like no other park in the UK.
This is called Project Penzance (Guess the theme)

It's pretty obvious it will be a pirate theme if that is the project name, which could work, it depends on which style of pirate theme they plan to use, it's either going to be a serious take on the theme or a childish cartoon take on it, and the latter seems most likely.

So long as they pull it off well, that is all that matters personally.
It is imed at Families

Good for families, but slightly worrying as Alton have not recieved a decent "thrill" attraction for a while now and those are the rides that really do pull in the crowds, they are far more marketable and would provide a greater attendance boost than a family ride or area I feel, I'm not saying family rides aren't good, I love most of them, it's just what would be better from a business point of view.
Splash Karts Removal (Rumored)
Please be true, I hate the Splash Karts with a passion!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Sounds like an interesting development, cannot wait to see how it all unfolds and develops, hopefully they release a bit more information rather than keeping the entire project in the dark, it's much better when you have just little bits of information to talk about.