Runaway Mine Train Crash

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Lauren

The reason this has made news radio internet , is because alton towers VERY RARELY gets incidents like this. Unlike stealth's malfunction , were noone was hurt it therefore only made enthusiast websites.
Locker

Russell Barnes has just talked about the incident on central news. Apparently the people taken away via ambulance have received neck and spinal injuries similar to that of a small car crash.

Regards,
Mark
Crofty

The train didn't continue to make another circuit although some radio stations are reporting thet the train went around and hit the back end.

most likely, the coupling snapped and emergency brakes were applied causing both sections to come together at the roll back points. Either way, the force wouldn't be that great because of the speeds that both sections would be running at.
Phil

What irony! The runaway mine train finally ran away!

Really, really sad news. I just hope that this doesn't have a negative impact on Mack/Alton.

I wish everyone who was injured a speedy recovery.
srw985

How come on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staf ... 198728.stm the links section has Alton Towers official, Health and Safety Exectutive (i can see why those are there) and Coasterforce. Where's towerstimes!
Chester City Football Club
Stu

This is what was on ITV news today just after 6pm.

http://www.stubarnwell.pwp.blueyonder.c ... sh_ITV.wmv
Matt 125

Woa. . . sorry to be a bit late in posting because I know what I am going to say has probably been said!

Anyway, not good, considering it is school trip season and a day before main summer holidays! Just hope nobody was seriously hurt!

Must have been a major crash, the ride is really rough going into that tunnel normally so going in like that must have been horrible!

Big, big shame this had to happen, and there are bound to be people who will sue. But as Dan said, it is not ATs fault. I am sure loads of checks happen in the morning etc. I really hope RMT isn't slowed down after this, because that would be a shame!

But I hope the people involved get better!

Matt :D
Danzaw*nk

According to that ITV news report, the front part came off and carried on along the track but couldnt make it up the hill so rolled back to the back part of the train whcih had had its power cut.

Hmmm

Dan

:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Crofty

As far as I can see, the safety systems worked fine as they were supposed too. When something like this happens, you cant expect to have a nice slow comfortable stop until a ride op comes to get you out, there is bound to be some discomfort. Just as an Airbag could save you in a car, it will still hurt.

Of course it's not the ride teams fault, but things normally show a bit of wear before they just break.
AstroDan

A more or less identical accident happened to Bobbejanlands Mack Powered Mine Train in 2005, where the train split - causing injury to riders.

Midlands Today also reported it, but what was said was similar to what was said on ITV. Apparantly the final people are due to be discharged from hospital in the next few hours.
Stu

The big rides like Air and so on have lots of brakes that jump into action if something goes wrong. but that's mainly because they have more than 1 train. As you know RMT only has one train and has nothing to "crash into", until something like this happens which is really one of the very very last things you exspect to happen. There was really no way to stop the crash after the joint came lose. You would have to have brake sections every 5 meters on the track to stop the crash.
Weird why the train did break into 2, again, might of been heat, im sure people will soon find out. But to say it's the ride ops fault in this case is very wrong.
AstroDan

I am sure Alton Towers - and Mack - are working on it right now. Alton Towers will not want one of their major family attractions - along with the Rapids which is also closed - down during the busiest time of year.
Williscroft

I was tolled about this earlier today but ive been out all day, then when passing the chinese i saw on the TV the end of them covering the story and then when i got home and herd what actualy happend i was very shocked.

Glad everyone on the ride seems to be ok and it hasn't turned out as bad as some of the acidents around the world last year. Hopefuly they will find the cause to the problem, get health and safety on the job and get it open asap.
sammie04

Yes I don't think it has nothing to do with the Ride ops its still a shock really to why it happened.

Glad no-one was seriously hurt hope the ride will be okand they are able to sort out the cause of the accident and it up and running soon.
rctneil

The report from BBC West Midlands is available here:

http://www.atmania.com/zipdownloads.php?dltypeid=20

I do hope everyone involved is Ok.

Regards,
Neil
Ant

Was very shocked when hearing about this it was the main headline on liverpools Radio city this afternoon . Must have been quite a scary experience for those rideing. Glad nobody was seriously injured could have been alot worse.

Its not looking very good for Alton at moment with all the news about the park.

Also it couldn't of come at a worse time for this accident to happen in holiday season. That puts all of Katanga canyon out of action two of the parks most popular rides. :cry:
Last edited by Ant on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

It seems daft to start blaming people for things none of us know anything about at the moment, we have to wait for the investigation and it's results.

I was shocked to hear this on my local radio, I hope all the victims are doing ok. Long live the RMT - it's an AT legend!
Anonymous

PRESS STATEMENT FROM ALTON TOWERS

Alton Towers – Runaway Mine Train

At 11.00am this morning, an incident occurred on the Runaway Mine Train in which the front of the carriage became separated from the rest of the train and the front half rolled into the back end. The train was stopped at once in line with our emergency procedures.

The ride was fully occupied at the time of the incident, but all were immediately evacuated and the ride was clear by 11.40am.

The Park’s fully trained First Responders were also at the scene within minutes and a number of guests are being cared for on-site with cuts, bruises and minor injuries. As a precaution, four guests have been taken to Hospital.

The health and safety of our guests is our primarily objective. The ride has been closed and will remain so whilst a thorough investigation is carried out by the Park’s Management team together with the Health and Safety Executive.

The remainder of the Park remains open as normal.
rctneil

From the official site is seems as if the rapids are goign to be open as earlier it staed the rmt and rapids were closed until furthewr notice and now it's only the rmt!

Regards,
Neil
Aufo8mycow

Hello Folks.

As an employee of Alton Towers, I am quite limited on what I can say as generally its a no comment situation. However. The Alton Towers press release is an acurate report in brief of todays incident.

As with any accident, there will of course be a full investigation but Alton Towers has one of the best safety records in the industry. Furthermore all rides are serviced daily along with pre start checks before each ride is signed off. Therefore for those of you planning a trip shortly. I truly hope this does not put you off. As with most occupations in life, accidents happen but thankfully at Alton towers, these are very very rare.

As for a time scale of when this ride will be up and running again it is simply too early to know but there are plenty more rides in the park to keep you all entertained.

All of us hope to see you soon.

Chris xoxoxox