Alton Towers Google Earth - UPDATE!

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Roose

Its a testing area for the JCB Digger Plant near AT i think.
plasticboy

The Google earth search toolis terrible! If you type in Alton Towes you get nothing but a load of nothing, nothing pointing to the actual thee park at all?

Am i searching wrong?
plasticboy

I fact, i cant even fid AT at all!I have found Uttoxter, thats about it :?
Redcoat Jase

Type in the Postcode. :wink:
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum
plasticboy

Ah, i found it lol. I cant get it no where as clear as the images posted on here. Its just blurry! :?
stretchy

daboywunda - the above image was from maps.google.com (the arial foto, not the dogbert with a whip, for anyone who wasnt sure which foto i was talking about)
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
Jem8472

try alton towers, uk
meme5053

i found coaster corner.i think.lol
if someone could pm me to tell me how to upload pics i will upload my coaster corner pic :D
DiogoJ42

My GE isn't anywhere near that good. do I need to update something?

and on the subject of searching, i find that no matter what I type, even things like 'Disney land Paris', or 'Port Aventura, Spain', GE always tries to take me to the USA. usually to a car dealership, or something stupid.
Adz
Admin
Admin

for port aventura put in "Salou, Spain" and go navigate 'north' a little bit.
doom+sons1988

To find Disney Land Paris, type in the fly to box " Disney Land Paris France "

This usually takes you to the disney golf course east of the park. Toggle Roads and move westward until you see a perfect circle road, Disneyland Paris is in that circle. It's also extremely detailed.

Disneyland in Calforina is dead easy to find. Just type "Disney land" in the fly to box.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
AstroDan

For 'Europa Park' type in 'Rust Germany'. The park is to the left of the village. Sadly, the Europa Park on Google Earth does not feature the latest coasters. So there is no 'Silver Star' (which on an overlay looks REALLY cool on Google Earth), nor 'Atlantica' or 'Pegasus'. Everything else is there though although the new hotel is missing.
meme5053

ok someone please tell me how to upload pictures!
DiogoJ42

So far I have the following parks bookmarked:
AT,
TP,
CWoA,
BPB,
Southport,
DMP,
Dreamland Margate (still low res)
Euro Disney
Port Aventura,
Universal Islands of Adventure,
Disney World

For me the best quality one is Disney Paris. obviously taken a while ago, as they are still building the Studios Park.

Still can't get AT in High res though, but it's better than it was.

On a slightly different note, has else anyone found 'Area 51' yet? it's north-east of Vegas, next to the White sands testing ground (which is pretty scarey to see all those nuke craters!). if you zoom in you can see F18 fighters and surface-to-air missiles, and of course, the world's longest runway. no flying saucers, tho :(
Nick

I have found Area 51 too, quite impressive to say the least!

I was being rather sad the other day when looking at Alton Towers on GE, and trying to see which of the coasters I could see going round. I think Rita is just going into the 1st corner, and obviously Spinball but cant see any others if you dont count the Monorail!
m4++

Some really good photos, google earth hates my computer so cant use it grrr.
Blaze

Been looking for this, as I have an update.

X-Sector has been rendered in 3D! Submsion, Enterprise, Oblivion's station aswell as a very crude Oblivion are all provided in an extra dimension :D

Also, the entrance plaza, which has been in 3D for a while, has been updated with the Corkscrew monument :D

All very good quality, apart from Blivy, but they will probably fix it.

Images still need updating, though. Corky is still there.
Crofty

I'm very impressed with the couple of 3D updates they have made here. It would be nice to get the whole park done. Submission and Enterprise along with the park entrance look great.
I often forget about Google earth and use Google maps all the time instead.

Does anyone fancy doing a bit of 3D work on this? I assume anyone can add to it? :)
Chris W

The current 3D models in Google Earth are made by a number of users: Ste Allan (River Rapids, Oblivion, Submission, Enterprise and the Entrance), Sebascoaster (Corkscrews) and JulianBuhagiar (Oblivion).
Ste Allan's models are particularly well detailed.

It would be great if Alton Towers could do their own models and cover all of the park, similar to what Disney have done with their theme parks. The only issue is that its probably pretty expensive to get an external company in.
There are the advertising benefits though so maybe the marketing department could think about it in the future? (How about considering it Morwenna? ;))

And I'd love to do a 3D model of some of the park, but at the moment my 3D skills aren't fantastic. I might consider getting some reference photos on a future visit. Any other forum members who create 3D models?

----

EDIT: This seems like a good excuse to bring up the following post made by a member called MONOLITH 3 years ago. Its a really fantastic 3D model of X-Sector!

[quote=""MONOLITH""]Hi,

I don't know whether any of you remember but quite a while ago i was asking around this forum for information on various parts of the X-Sector. At the time i could not disclose what was going on (it was all a bit hush hush), but as i have now finished my project i can shed some light on it. The project was to basically model and animate the X-Sector at Alton Towers in 3D. All of the scene was created in 3D Studio Max by hand. None of it was done in NoLimits or any other software. I have uploaded a little teaser trailer to youTube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLVxACDt6nU

This was an early version of the scene. I will get around to uploading a full length trailer of the scene later on.

I would like to thank everyone that helped me when i posted questions on the forum all those weeks ago. I hope you all like it.

MONOLITH[/quote]

[quote=""MONOLITH""]Hi again,

Thanks for all your positive feedback, i really appreciate it. I have now uploaded the full length trailer of the project. I hope you enjoy this one too. In answer to one of the questions earlier, the project at a guess took 300-400 hours, plus around 200 hours of rendering time. I will also try and get some stills posted so you can see what it looks like in a good resolution. Thanks once again for the comments. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yN3ec_jYGI

MONOLITH

edit: Just one thing. There is no siding shed for the Oblivion shuttles. This was left out due to the time constraints ;)[/quote]